Los Angeles area.

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
My daughter lives in the greater Los Angeles area. Yes, I know, I pity her too, but it was her choice.

Spending most of this week with her. I have visited her twice now, and doing some research, I think I have decided to make plans to visit Catalina islands next time we come out.

So her are the questions for some of you poor people that live out this way.

Is there a decent place to get checked out and rent an aircraft in the northern Los Angeles area?
What aircraft can I expect and what kind of prices can I expect? Being both single and multiengine rated, I have a few more choices if they have the aircraft for rent. I haven't flown a single for a while, though. I'd like to take it to the islands and stay for three days. Are they likely to want a large minimum hour per day?

Justice at SMO. Maybe Vista at WHP. Can you get to LGB for Long Beach Flying Club?

Try to contact Joe Areeda. I'm willing to bet he would be more than happy to meet you, espeicially when it involves aviation, but who is to say if he has time? In respect for his privacy I cannot provide contact information.

You know what...maybe it's an outside bet but I wonder if Mike at Fly Corona (based at KAJO) would work with you. He's outside your search area but may have exactly what you want (3 day trip, concern about daily minimum)

Last edited:
If it is at all logistically rational, call and see Mike Brannigan at Fly Corona ( www.flycorona.com ); he may chime in at any second.

Good guy, fine business, and (of course) a member of this board.

If it is at all logistically rational, call and see Mike Brannigan at Fly Corona ( www.flycorona.com ); he may chime in at any second.

Good guy, fine business, and (of course) a member of this board.

Thanks Spike, but I was too busy slashing my wrists, painting my fingernails black, and writing some goth poetry at the reminder that I live in such a horrendous place such as Los Angeles. :D

(and to think I was born in PA and ever left that garden paradise...)

North LA = the valley. VNY and WHP are your choices, unless you go down to EMT. You'll find 80% cessna shops (like ours), with a scattered collection of pipers. Prices are all over the map.

We'd also hook ya up, feel free to ring us at 951 272 3942 anytime, or mike@flycorona.com

...wangin' the Blue Doodle for fun and profit.

---

Thanks, Mike.

Thanks Spike, but I was too busy slashing my wrists, painting my fingernails black, and writing some goth poetry at the reminder that I live in such a horrendous place such as Los Angeles. :D

(and to think I was born in PA and ever left that garden paradise...)

North LA = the valley. VNY and WHP are your choices, unless you go down to EMT. You'll find 80% cessna shops (like ours), with a scattered collection of pipers. Prices are all over the map.

We'd also hook ya up, feel free to ring us at 951 272 3942 anytime, or mike@flycorona.com

Ok, perhaps I was a little harsh. After all, it is a gorgeous place, what with all of the mountains around. It is just all of this horrendous traffic. I just can't get used to this many people in one itty bitty little area.

Thanks for the information, though.

Thinking sometime in later summer for a trip. Would like to fly out to Catalina with the family, just don't know if it is worth the extra money to check out and rent, rather than just taking a helicopter tour and then stay on Catalina Island.

Flying my own plane out would be way too costly, and I would need a butt replacement by the time it was through.

Ok, perhaps I was a little harsh. After all, it is a gorgeous place, what with all of the mountains around. It is just all of this horrendous traffic. I just can't get used to this many people in one itty bitty little area.

Thanks for the information, though.

Thinking sometime in later summer for a trip. Would like to fly out to Catalina with the family, just don't know if it is worth the extra money to check out and rent, rather than just taking a helicopter tour and then stay on Catalina Island.

Flying my own plane out would be way too costly, and I would need a butt replacement by the time it was through.

If your party is 3 or less, just give me a shout and 'll take ya in my S35 Bonanza. Saves checkout AND rental fees ;)

If you wanna spend a few days there, I don't mind doing a dropoff/pickup. I base out of HHR and it's a very short jump (like 10 minutes each way for me). I can pick ya up from anywhere and save you the drive.

And maybe we can argue the pros and cons of our respective domiciles over a buffalo burger on the island. :D

(don't worry, I am very thick skinned -- no offense was taken :D )

It's easy to be laid back and happy, when you commute in a V-Tailed Heaven Machine.

I am assuming most places out here in the area have a minimum hours per day rental. I saw one was four hours per day. That would get a little steep for three days, in addition to the checkout and minimum hours rental. 10-12 hours in addition to the rental checkout would be steeper than I am willing to shell out. We have 4 people that would go, so a 182 would be nice, but a bit more expensive.

Awk well, there is always the boat ride or a helicopter tour. Guess I'll chew on it for a few months before I figure it out.

Thanks for the info, folks.

Back