Logbook question:

StraightnLevel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StraightnLevel
Re: Solo time requirements for PPL, do these logbook entries need to be signed off by a CFI, or just entered by the student pilot?

If there's a clear requirement, I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone here have a clear understanding or know where it is in the regs?

Re: Solo time requirements for PPL, do these logbook entries need to be signed off by a CFI, or just entered by the student pilot?

If there's a clear requirement, I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone here have a clear understanding or know where it is in the regs?
FAR 61.51(h) requires training time to be signed by the instructor. Not required for solo. You're signing that yourself. How could an instructor sign off your solo time of he wasn't with you?

Thanks, all. That was my rough understanding from what I was able to find, but wanted to make sure that I haven't missed anything that will cause a problem later.

:thumbsup:

Thanks, all. That was my rough understanding from what I was able to find, but wanted to make sure that I haven't missed anything that will cause a problem later.

Make sure that if your instructor has put limitations on your solo(s) that your are in compliance with those. Personally, I think instructors should do that whether it's a date range or some other limitation. You're NOT a certificated pilot yet.

Make sure that if your instructor has put limitations on your solo(s) that your are in compliance with those. Personally, I think instructors should do that whether it's a date range or some other limitation. You're NOT a certificated pilot yet.
Absolutely! He's been fairly generous, so there's really no reason for me to exceed the limits.

Literally, the only signatures required in a US logbook are:
1. Instructor signatures for flight instruction.
2. Instructor signatures for ground instruction.
3. Signatures on endorsements,

Absolutely! He's been fairly generous, so there's really no reason for me to exceed the limits.

First, congrats on reaching this stage in your training. Its a huge milestone. You never forget your first solo.

Second, though, this question makes me wonder about the quality of training you're receiving. By that I mean that when I solo'd I had no questions about how to log it. If your instructor did not cover something basic like that, it does make me wonder what else may have been skipped.

First, congrats on reaching this stage in your training. Its a huge milestone. You never forget your first solo.

Second, though, this question makes me wonder about the quality of training you're receiving. By that I mean that when I solo'd I had no questions about how to log it. If your instructor did not cover something basic like that, it does make me wonder what else may have been skipped.
Yeah, the CFI really should be asked before asking a bunch of SGOTI, but "how to log things" is a common thing to leave out. I doubt it reflects on anything else. It reminds me of threads in which people say they won't get their tailwheel endorsement from the best tailwheel instructor in the state because the CFI thinks one can't log PIC until after the endorsement.

There is an AC, don't recall the number,,, FAA.GOV, follow the link

Ya well, I can’t remember 2 of 4 traps on my first boat solo. I can see telling a student how to log solo and then them not being clear about it later. I trust a guy who forgets but asks, that’s pretty normal.

Sounds like he flew successfully, training musta been good enough.

Actually a student is a certificated pilot, just at the lowest level and with the least privileges.

§ 61.5 Certificates and ratings issued under this part.

a) The following certificates are issued under this part to an applicant who satisfactorily accomplishes the training and certification requirements for the certificate sought:

(1) Pilot certificates—

(i) Student pilot.

(ii) Sport pilot.

(iii) Recreational pilot.

(iv) Private pilot.

(v) Commercial pilot.

(vi) Airline transport pilot.

Yes, but an instructor can put limitations on a student pilot, and in my opinion should always do that even though he holds a "certificate". My bad for using that word, but the certificate requires an instructor's endorsement and is only valid for 90 days [61.87 (n)].

Per 61.89

(a) A student pilot may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft:

<snip>

(8) In a manner contrary to any limitations placed in the pilot's logbook by an authorized instructor.

I don’t put any. It’s pointless. I figure the FARs are enough.

If I give them a 5 knot x-wind limitation and they screw it up, I clearly gave them the wrong limitation.

Law enforcement weapon qualification is pass fail, so that a department cant be held liable for not sending MOST QUALIFIED to any given situation. Theyre all EQUALLY qualified.

Seems a lot like the typical check airman mentality that they ARE OBLIGATED to point out SOMETHING. Geesh…

the certificate requires an instructor's endorsement and is only valid for 90 days [61.87 (n)].

Per 61.89

(a) A student pilot may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft:

<snip>

(8) In a manner contrary to any limitations placed in the pilot's logbook by an authorized instructor.
Of course, the certificate does not require an instructor's endorsement, but the logbook does.

If I give them a 5 knot x-wind limitation and they screw it up, I clearly gave them the wrong limitation.
Our flight training facility requires us to put some limitations. Some of the CFIs simply write under limitations, "with CFI approval."

The FARs allow them to fly with a 30 and greater crosswind.

I think rather than pointless, student pilot limitations beyond the FAR, represent a CFI/school's experience and instructional choices. Even beyond the student certificate, many flight schools and rental FBOs have ops manuals limiting pilot discretion. Crosswind limits, runway length requirements, and prohibitions on landing at unimproved strips are probably the most common. Even Part 135 and 121 operations have non-FAR limitations on operations. So why not a student pilot who is still flying under the umbrella of their instructor?

So, at one extreme, not, the school and the CFI relying 100% on the student's own judgment. At the opposite extreme are schools which require a CFI signoff for ever solo flight.

Don’t get too literal on me… they need my permission to fly. We discuss the current conditions on a case by case. No need to try and figure out how to make them “safe” in a sentence in the back of a logbook. THAT SENTENCE is pointless.

Unless you were to put “don’t crash or break any rules”, so that YOU are covered. Cause hey, you told them not to…

And all them flight school, parts 121/135 and company restrictions aren’t to make the individual pilot safer, but to protect the organization from liability. They don’t want me to follow all those rules, they just don’t wanna be culpable if I screw up.

Back