Logbook Availability

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
I can’t find it anywhere but someone help me out with this. This pertains to 91.407 to an extent. If you were to get ramp checked, and asked to provide aircraft logs, what is the time frame which you must supply those? Is it left up to the examiner, or is it written somewhere like 5 days, etc?

The only guidance I'm aware of is that they must be supplied within a reasonable amount of time. That's going to vary a bit depending on the circumstances. Ramp checked on a Saturday away from home and you keep your records locked up in a bank vault is going to be a different "reasonable" time than if you are at your home base and they are kept in your hangar.

I can’t find it anywhere but someone help me out with this. This pertains to 91.407 to an extent. If you were to get ramp checked, and asked to provide aircraft logs, what is the time frame which you must supply those? Is it left up to the examiner, or is it written somewhere like 5 days, etc?

If an LOI (Letter of Investigation) is issued, typically it’s 10 business days. But if you contact the Inspector, and have a circumstance that may exceed the date, they will work with you.

Don't quite follow your 91.407 reference, but if you're referring to 91.417(c), then it usually depends on the reason for the records request. For example, on a routine ramp check you tend to have more leeway unless they found something to issue a Condition Notice or LOI then there usually is a defined time-period to produce those records. Same if the NTSB is requesting due to an incident/accident but its usually on a shorter time frame.

Back