Lockheed N93R down at KCNO

Apparently took off with full flaps and ended up with a stall/spin. Hard to believe with that much experience.

Apparently took off with full flaps and ended up with a stall/spin. Hard to believe with that much experience.
shows that complacency and lax checklist use cannot be overcome by hours of experience. i will admit ive been guilty of it. very sad, but a good wake up call for us higher hour pilots.

shows that complacency and lax checklist use cannot be overcome by hours of experience. i will admit ive been guilty of it. very sad, but a good wake up call for us higher hour pilots.
I’ve tried to get that message across to some older pilots I know. One has had a few times that a checklist would have prevented an improper condition - not retracting gear, leaving the master on at shutdown, not fastening his seatbelt and shoulder harness.

Others have done similar, and the common thread is “I’ve been flying for 40 years and owned this plane for almost as long.” My belief is that pride is at the root of it - not being willing to accept that they could make a mistake, get task-loaded and forget something, or have age-related memory decline. Remind them that airlines and military use checklists and the common response is that theynhave more complex airplanes, or they do it only because they’re required to by policy.

It’s not if, it’s when and where.

Back