Light weight Upholstery Panel Options

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
I am looking to upgrade the interior of my Navion and I am searching for some options for lighter weight side panels besides the current aluminum panels. I need to put my plane on a diet so cutting weight is highly desirable. I pulled out the rear panel of the baggage compartment and discovered the aluminum panel weighed 2.8 lbs and the 1960s covering and insulation weighed 1.5 lbs. Surely there are lighter options for the panel if not the fabric or leather covering. What are folks using now for side panels besides aluminum or cardboard. Are there any light plastics or other materials that are approved for airplanes?

Attachments

• IMG_7697.jpeg
    IMG_7697.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7692.jpeg
    IMG_7692.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Are there any light plastics or other materials that are approved for airplanes?
Carbon fiber and Kydex are a couple. But there is usually no requirement you have to have interior coverings at all except maybe are flight or engine controls. Another option is to install "blankets" to clean up the interior areas for a visual appeal and reduce weight. All depends on what look you a striving for.

Carbon fiber looks kinda slick and modern. It could contrast with or clash against the other classic styles present, but its definitely light, sturdy and flexible to work with.

Back