Learning aviation from comic book movies

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Re: Iron Man

Didja know that if you climb really high, really fast, you ice up?

I guess it gets cold up there.

And when you ice up the high tech flight suit and electronics stop working....and ...I won't tell what happens next. ;)

Attachments

• Iron Man desk02_1280.jpg
    Iron Man desk02_1280.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Re: Iron Man

Didja know that if you climb really high, really fast, you ice up?

I guess it gets cold up there.

And when you ice up the high tech flight suit and electronics stop working....and ...I won't tell what happens next. ;)

:rofl::rolleyes: That was the one problem I had with an otherwise awesome movie. Of course, being the power-nerd that I am, I leaned over to the fiance when that happened and told here "ice can't actually accrete unless there's visible moisture." Apparently she didn't find that as interesting as I did.

:rofl::rolleyes: That was the one problem I had with an otherwise awesome movie. Of course, being the power-nerd that I am, I leaned over to the fiance when that happened and told here "ice can't actually accrete unless there's visible moisture." Apparently she didn't find that as interesting as I did.
Space ships do not make noise in outer space either. For some reason girls do not find that fact interesting either. :D

Space ships do not make noise in outer space either. For some reason girls do not find that fact interesting either. :D

Spaceships also don't have to bank, and don't have to be in the same plane to fire on each other. ;)

Spaceships also don't have to bank, and don't have to be in the same plane to fire on each other. ;)

Wouldn't 2 ships always be in the same plane? Somehow? :)

Also - on Colbert Report, he confirmed that no one can hear you scream in space. Anyone see that? lol

Wouldn't 2 ships always be in the same plane? Somehow?

yeah. Just like you define a line by describing two points, I guess any two objects scan describe a plane. The point is they don't have to be "right side up."

See "Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn" for how the Enterprise hid in the nebula by going "Z minus 10000" ....going "down" because Kahn "exhibited two dimensional thinking," then Kirk came up behind him to take a shot like it was a dogfight. They couldn't just shoot "up?" :dunno:

Yaaa, I brought that one up during Star Wars, and again during Space Balls...it wasn't any more interesting the second time. :dunno:

Try telling the FAA that.:rofl:

yeah. Just like you define a line by describing two points, I guess any two objects scan describe a plane. The point is they don't have to be "right side up."

See "Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn" for how the Enterprise hid in the nebula by going "Z minus 10000" ....going "down" because Kahn "exhibited two dimensional thinking," then Kirk came up behind him to take a shot like it was a dogfight. They couldn't just shoot "up?" :dunno:
A plane is defined by 3 points.

Its a movie. The guys developed advanced new power generation in Afghanistan in a cave. Its a movie. He's had Gwenneth Paltrow around for years and hasn't yet done the horizontal Rumba. Its a movie. Yeesh, next you guys are going to be talking about how the Incredible Hulk is the wrong shade of green.

I'll tell ya whats really impressive to me is that your fiance was actually interested in the movie. I ask my wife if she wants to see Iron Man and I get the roll eyes look.

I'll tell ya whats really impressive to me is that your fiance was actually interested in the movie. I ask my wife if she wants to see Iron Man and I get the roll eyes look.

Yaa, she's kinda cool like that. I forgot it was coming out, it was her idea to go! :D

Its a movie. The guys developed advanced new power generation in Afghanistan in a cave.
Hand portable w/o shielding (heat or radiation) & making 3 GigaJoules/second.

BTW 3 GigaJoules/second = 3,000,000,000 watts or enough power for ~14,400 Nimitiz class carriers. Where did the heat go?:dunno:

Hand portable w/o shielding (heat or radiation) & making 3 GigaJoules/second.

BTW 3 GigaJoules/second = 3,000,000,000 watts or enough power for ~14,400 Nimitiz class carriers. Where did the heat go?:dunno:

Must be air cooled. That's why the suit has to have a window for it to glow through.

Tony Stark awakes in the cave to find the hole in his chest with the explanation that the thing holds an electromagnet that's keeping shrapnel from puncturing his aorta. Somewhere along the way it turns into an artificial heart AND when he gets home and is asked if he needs to go a hospital he says, "No." and he never sees a doctor, even when he upgrades the thing in his chest! He just has "Pepper Pots" (and they think "Obadiah Stane" is a great name) reach in and grab the wiring. Ya think maybe a cardiologist could have removed the shrapnel? :D

Another aviation laugher in Iron Man:

The suit evidently carries enough fuel to allow flying at Mach 2 from Malibu to Afghanistan non-stop even though an F-22 can't do it without refueling a few dozen times...or maybe the energy comes from the "arc generator?"

The suit evidently carries enough fuel to allow flying at Mach 2 from Malibu to Afghanistan non-stop even though an F-22 can't do it without refueling a few dozen times...or maybe the energy comes from the "arc generator?"

umm... It's 3 giga-watts. 3 Giga-watts (~4 million HP:hairraise:) should propel a suit to mach-2 and with some left over. Maybe its some kinda of ion propulsion.

Must be air cooled. That's why the suit has to have a window for it to glow through.

Tony Stark awakes in the cave to find the hole in his chest with the explanation that the thing holds an electromagnet that's keeping shrapnel from puncturing his aorta. Somewhere along the way it turns into an artificial heart AND when he gets home and is asked if he needs to go a hospital he says, "No." and he never sees a doctor, even when he upgrades the thing in his chest! He just has "Pepper Pots" (and they think "Obadiah Stane" is a great name) reach in and grab the wiring. Ya think maybe a cardiologist could have removed the shrapnel? :D

No,... He doesn't have the artificial heart yet (although I'm sure future movies will). Its just a magnet to hold the shrapnel and regulate his heart:confused:. Besides, its just like operation.:D

Wiki said:
Back home, Stark discovers the shrapnel lodged in his chest cannot be removed without killing him, and he is forced to wear the armor's chestplate beneath his clothes to act as a regulator for his heart. He must also recharge the chestplate every day or else risk the shrapnel killing him.

Back