Las Vegas Flight Seeing

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
I'm going to Las Vegas in the near future, and considering renting a plane while there. I'm not that familiar with the area. How far is it from Las Vegas to the grand canyon? If I want to do some flight seeing worth doing, how long of a trip is it in 172?

I'm going to Las Vegas in the near future, and considering renting a plane while there. I'm not that familiar with the area. How far is it from Las Vegas to the grand canyon? If I want to do some flight seeing worth doing, how long of a trip is it in 172?

You can rent a C172 from Cactus Aviation in Henderson after a brief checkout. You can then fly a two to two-and-one-half hour round trip flight over the west end of the Grand Canyon, say to the Tuckup Corridor and then return, and get a nice flight. Or you can fly further east to one of the airports near the Rim, Grand Canyon, or Grand Canyon West.

In the middle of the summer flying a 172 in the area at some of the density altitudes near the Grand Canyon isn't impossible but takes some planning to make the climb gradients etc. Cactus did have a 172R (180hp) when I rented there in 2011.

There are special flight rules in effect over most of the Grand Canyon including the far east side of Lake Mead, so you'll need to research that - there are threads here and elsewhere and a special chart. you can view one side of the chart on Skyvector.com: "Grand Canyon VFR" http://skyvector.com/?ll=36.1298140038084,-113.01835929924898&chart=230&zoom=5

Edit: Actually, I remember that the rental agreement may preclude you from taking Grand Canyon flights, there, so you'd want to check - that wasn't my destination when I rented.

Last edited:

Back when I was renting I did this and it was super fun. I rented a 172 (with CFI) out of KVGT flew right down the strip, over the mountain to Boulder, flew over the Dam, across Lake Mead, landed at some crazy little back country strips, cruised North and came back across Nellis AFB. Maybe 3 hours.

I've flown across the Grand Canyon many times, but I would consider something like the above with the speed of a 172. I promise you'll have fun.

Back when I was renting I did this and it was super fun. I rented a 172 (with CFI) out of KVGT flew right down the strip, over the mountain to Boulder, flew over the Dam, across Lake Mead, landed at some crazy little back country strips, cruised North and came back across Nellis AFB. Maybe 3 hours.

I've flown across the Grand Canyon many times, but I would consider something like the above with the speed of a 172. I promise you'll have fun.

West Air Aviation at VGT offers checkouts, or ride along tour guide CFI.
They have a T-41B that does very well in the high summer DA.
T-41B = C-172 IO-360 210HP
They also have a 180 HP C-172, plus the std "training" 172s.

West Air Aviation at VGT offers checkouts, or ride along tour guide CFI.
They have a T-41B that does very well in the high summer DA.
T-41B = C-172 IO-360 210HP
They also have a 180 HP C-172, plus the std "training" 172s.

Bill-

Perhaps you can chime in on this, but the reason I brought a CFI was for their knowledge of the airspace (and I didn't want to pay for a checkout on a one time thing). It allowed me to just relax, enjoy the scenery, and fly. Even today I come and go IFR for those reasons.

Bill-

Perhaps you can chime in on this, but the reason I brought a CFI was for their knowledge of the airspace (and I didn't want to pay for a checkout on a one time thing). It allowed me to just relax, enjoy the scenery, and fly. Even today I come and go IFR for those reasons.

The Class B can get busy. VFR does not always get cleared through it, at least not the way you would want. With the Class B, and terrain around the valley taking a CFI is a great thing to do. Especially if you are not used to the higher winds we get in the valley.

A study a few years ago showed that a higher than expected of accidents in the Valley were with transient flat lander pilots.

WAA does a lot of CFI guided tours for that one flight vacationer.
I've been living and flying in the valley for 17 years.

Back