Laptop battery replacement issues

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Earlier this year I replaced the battery in my eight year old Lenovo Yoga laptop. It's running Windows 10. It's not super easy to do - you have to remove a bunch of small screws, pry off the bottom case and remove more screws to pull the battery and replace it.

Issue - I used to be able to log in using the fingerprint reader and/or PIN number. After installing the new battery, I get a notification that "PIN number is required" but if I try to use the pin I get a notification "PIN unavailable due to changes in security settings." I can still log in using the password (which my work IT guy had to reset so I could log in to it at all.) If I go to the security settings, all attempts to re-enable the fingerprint reader and PIN number are futile. It says enabled but when I try to log in that way I get the same error message.

Second issue - this happened a couple days ago. Maybe it's related, maybe not. There was a power outage. That knocked out my wireless router. The power came back on eventually, no Internet and when I go to click on the taskbar icon for the wireless, I get a few options - turn wifi back on in an hour, four hours, 1 day, etc.... Well, no, I want to turn it back on NOW. I go to the network settings, run the troubleshooter, one of the fix options is to turn wireless capability back on, so I selected it and all good. Why not just give an option to turn wireless on or off, vs. some sort of delayed restart?

Any ideas what might be going on with either issue? The battery works fine, the laptop works fine otherwise.

I'm on thin ice here and may be making stuff up, but at least some desktop pcs have some kind of intrusion detection; maybe the laptop has something similar and it throws the securitay flag? Can you poke around in the bios? (If you can, tsk, that should be managed by IT...)

I never thought to poke around in the bios, but it ain't that broke...

Back