Landing light out

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
The landing light on my 172E went out the other night, it is a 13v 100w bulb(GE4509) I have a new GE4313(13v 250W) left from when I had the 150L. So would it be OK to use this light in place of the 4509? Its the same voltage and diameter, but would have more heat and power drain on the system.:dunno:

The landing light on my 172E went out the other night, it is a 13v 100w bulb(GE4509) I have a new GE4313(13v 250W) left from when I had the 150L. So would it be OK to use this light in place of the 4509? Its the same voltage and diameter, but would have more heat and power drain on the system.:dunno:

I would say no, unless you can get a 337 signed off. This is not a replacement in kind. You'd have to verify that the circuit breaker and, more importantly, wiring can take a 150% increase in current. The wiring harness is designed to be able to take a certain amount of current without overheating. More current = more heat = increased danger of fire. Fire is bad.

Chris

Unless it's listed in the POH or parts manual, the answer is no.

As Lance said, check the parts man. You might find that the 250W is the one that should be in there.

As not to paint yourself in a corner so to speak. When you as a pilot perform preventive maintenance and change the landing gear light your are required to make a aircraft maintenance record entry just like the A&P in accordance with part 43. Part 43.9 states you have to describe what you did, which should include part numbers of parts used. Unless you refer to the manufacturer maintenance manual, which includes the parts manual with the correct light part number you have to explain what you did. It’s easy to reference the manuals.

Suppose you put a different light in and call out the part number that is not in the parts books, this would be a problem. Or if the mechanic during the annual inspection finds the wrong light installed it would have to be replaced.

I have seen where a pilot used a higher watt light and burned the wiring using he same voltage. Smoke in the cockpit will get the attention of your local inspector who will want to see the maintenance logs as stated above. Be careful what you write and don’t write in your aircraft logbooks.

Remember anything that is better than the original is an alteration Part 43.13(b). Getting a form 337 to go to a better light is common and easy to do (CYA)

Stache

Ken,

Do you have more info on these? We burn an insane number of landing lights in the club planes.

If you are burning them out because they get left on long enough to blacken the bulb, then a Q4509 will last 2-4 times longer. But if the filaments are breaking after only a few hours of operation, the quartz halogen won't do anything but cost more. I'm told that reworking the light mount so that the filament is vertical makes a big difference for cowl mounted lights.

If you do need to get a new bulb, get the Q4509 instead. The quartz lasts A LOT longer.

Depends on whose Q4509. I got four from aircraft spruce and they all went TU in under ten hours. I got a couple of real GE Q4509's from another place and 20 hours later the one I put in is still working. I did notice that the filiments are designed different between the two and wonder if that has something to do with it.

If you want to install your last landing light ever, consider a High Intensity Discharge (HID) light. My A&P installed the Knots 2 U HID landing lights in the Twin Comanche a couple of years ago and they've been super.

Brighter than standard bulbs and guaranteed for five years or as long as I own the airplane. The downside? $500 a pop. It made $ sense for the Twinkie in that I actually have to remove the tip tanks to replace a landing light.

There is not yet an HID light for the nose wheel light on the Twinkie, so I use GE Q4509 there.

Jay

If you are burning them out because they get left on long enough to blacken the bulb, then a Q4509 will last 2-4 times longer. But if the filaments are breaking after only a few hours of operation, the quartz halogen won't do anything but cost more. I'm told that reworking the light mount so that the filament is vertical makes a big difference for cowl mounted lights.

Well, on the 182 they (landing & taxi) are in the left wing, with the filaments vertical. Still seems to burn 'em up pretty quickly.

Another bulb that I was told about is the GE H7604, its a 50W halogen and is brighter than a standard 4509 100W. And if any of you are looking for a good place to buy GE bulbs, check out www.preferredairparts.com

Another bulb that I was told about is the GE H7604, its a 50W halogen and is brighter than a standard 4509 100W. And if any of you are looking for a good place to buy GE bulbs, check out www.preferredairparts.com
or napa. One of the few parts you can get at an auto parts store that is exact same mfg & part number, kosher to install

or napa. One of the few parts you can get at an auto parts store that is exact same mfg & part number, kosher to install
Get this, NAPA was 50% higher than the Aircraft parts store, never thought I see that.

aircraft parts place mustve figured out NAPA carries it, or NAPA mustve figured out its an airplane part. or both.

Back