Lake Aircraft

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
I was just wondering what makes these old birds still desirable after all these years. :confused:

Do they lift a lot and fly pretty fast? Maintenence & fuel/burn is o.k.?

We had a fellow flyer at our field who had one but he died in it. They say he nosed over during an aqua take off. I haven't read the NTSB. According to the boys, Lakes can have a tendency to do that with the pylon mounted motor. And someone mentioned some rough AD's, so with all their quirks, I was just wondering why I still see them. They must be pretty good all around and a fun aircraft. :)

image002.jpg

They are the cheapest way to fly an amphib, and they do a pretty reasonable job in the air and on the water. I took my CSES&L check ride in one.

Oh, that is the 260hp 6 seat Renegade, it's not cheap, they are $200k+ the LA-4-200 can be had for $45k.

Last edited:
I flew in one a few times with King Gladden down in Harrison, Ar. It was a freakin' blast! Can't answer any of your questions though.

King died in an aviation accident...but not in his Lake.

Lakes are so much cooler than floatplanes. But floats are a bit more practical around the dock. Any water landing airplane has the potential for noseover.

Lake vs floatplane is just a variation of the high wing/low wing debate. Plusses and minuses of each. I've spent many an hour chasing gators around Florida waterways in both architectures. Just pick the one that meets your needs and tastes.

Do you know what that top horizontal line in the paint scheme is?

fully loaded water line. They set way too low in the water for me.

Sea Bee's rule.

My hangar neighbor has one, la-4-200, its different. I think its a PITA to maneuver on a runway but i don't have that much time in it so it was probably me.

The Renegade seems like a capable machine. Paul Furnee used to be based at Winter Haven florida and is a lake expert / specializes in them.

It s a neat plane but i prefer a skywagon or super cub on amphibs. However the price for either of those is way more than i could justify.

Do you know what that top horizontal line in the paint scheme is?

fully loaded water line. They set way too low in the water for me.

Sea Bee's rule.

The one on the engine cowling???

I have about 15 hrs in the LA -4-200 back when they were new. I enjoyed flying it. There is no nose wheel steering so it takes a little getting used to. The -200 was hard to get off a smooth glass lake at heavy weights.

It's draggy, but aren't most amphibs?
Nice if the weather goes down and there is water around, just set it down and wait it out.
It was good on large lakes, not so good with sea swells. Need to plan your docks to be water high narrow walk ways you can put a wing over with the pontoon on the other side.

Lose a pontoon by hitting a log on landing and you have a short time to put someone out on the good wing for balance before it rolls over from the damaged wing filling with water. Some of the pontoons were extra fuel tanks for land operations. Empty them before landing on water. I remember the main tank in the -200 at the bottom of the pylon was 40 gallons. I forget what the pontoon held.

MG7L5354.jpg

Looks like they do draft quite a bit.

Interesting planes.

Sometimes I get a wild hair and want to amphib our 180 and then I tell myself your crazy. It would cost a fortune and I'd end up with a 180 on amphibs. I'd be better off to trade for a 185/amphib. But then it wouldn't be my low time aircraft that I know and love. Landing on the farms would be out. Unless we build lakes ...:idea:

I have always wanted to fly one. All of my seaplane flying has been on straight floats.

N6055K-09-740.jpg

SeaBee's are pretty dang cool. They're like an art-deco flying version of a hippie van. :goofy:

I'd paint a big peace symbol and put flower power crap all over one if I were a drunk billionaire .... :lol:

Did my seaplane rating in one. I enjoyed flying it, but taxiing was indeed a pain.
I also feel that they sit pretty low in the water. My wife says they are ugly.

They are by far the cheapest way to fly a 4-seat amphib, though....

Last edited:
I should have guessed.

"Cheap"

That's why I still see them around.

No experience on one, but amphibs do rock :D

Have about 3hrs in the Buccaneer at Sheble. Damn thing had 15000hrs on it. I loved it and obsessed about having one for awhile. If they'd done a twin, I would have been right there. Now I'm waiting for that elusive Piaggio L-136 Royal Gull to come on the market...

I was just wondering what makes these old birds still desirable after all these years. :confused:

Do they lift a lot and fly pretty fast? Maintenence & fuel/burn is o.k.?

We had a fellow flyer at our field who had one but he died in it. They say he nosed over during an aqua take off. I haven't read the NTSB. According to the boys, Lakes can have a tendency to do that with the pylon mounted motor. And someone mentioned some rough AD's, so with all their quirks, I was just wondering why I still see them. They must be pretty good all around and a fun aircraft. :)

image002.jpg

You see them because they are a great airplane. Have a little experience in them owned 5 of them over the last 40 years or so with a couple thousand hours in them. Lots of misconceptions about them but their water performance far exceeds float aircraft with the exception of docking. They are slow and noisy very weight dependent in terms of performance, but safety you have a couple of million more runways than the average airplane. Ad from wing spar ended in a patent lawsuit, those who picked the factory repair paid money but don't owe anymore. You can fly off the water with the floats filled with fuel. Handling is ponderous and your legs better be strong for the rudder. Nose wheel castering is not a problem and can turn easier than a traditional tricycle. If too tight just lift up the nose and put it where you want it. My current Renegade is for sale if you really want one and below the 200K quoted above, new Avidyne 540 and ADS B out transponder waiting for the MLB 100 to be released. Get in the Daytona Beach Fl area and will take you for a flight.

Lakes are so much cooler than floatplanes. But floats are a bit more practical around the dock. Any water landing airplane has the potential for noseover.

Lake vs floatplane is just a variation of the high wing/low wing debate. Plusses and minuses of each. I've spent many an hour chasing gators around Florida waterways in both architectures. Just pick the one that meets your needs and tastes.

Yep, if you're working off docks or where they raft timbers, floats have a definite advantage, but I need an amphib, the job I have for one there's just no practical way to avoid it due to clearing customs. There's just no other amphib plane that can 135 for under $150k, and I can get one for a third of that.

You see them because they are a great airplane. Have a little experience in them owned 5 of them over the last 40 years or so with a couple thousand hours in them. Lots of misconceptions about them but their water performance far exceeds float aircraft with the exception of docking. They are slow and noisy very weight dependent in terms of performance, but safety you have a couple of million more runways than the average airplane. Ad from wing spar ended in a patent lawsuit, those who picked the factory repair paid money but don't owe anymore. You can fly off the water with the floats filled with fuel. Handling is ponderous and your legs better be strong for the rudder. Nose wheel castering is not a problem and can turn easier than a traditional tricycle. If too tight just lift up the nose and put it where you want it. My current Renegade is for sale if you really want one and below the 200K quoted above, new Avidyne 540 and ADS B out transponder waiting for the MLB 100 to be released. Get in the Daytona Beach Fl area and will take you for a flight.

Thanks skipper. If I'm ever down that way, I'll sure take you up on it.

One thing I realized is the Lakes are like a twin, no prop in front of you....

Having the ability to land on sea or turf would be awesome.

N6055K-09-740.jpg

SeaBee's are pretty dang cool. They're like an art-deco flying version of a hippie van. :goofy:

I'd paint a big peace symbol and put flower power crap all over one if I were a drunk billionaire .... :lol:

Seabee: Big, heavy, slow, loud.
I flew a bunch of them way, WAY, back in the day.

Have about 3hrs in the Buccaneer at Sheble. Damn thing had 15000hrs on it. I loved it and obsessed about having one for awhile. If they'd done a twin, I would have been right there. Now I'm waiting for that elusive Piaggio L-136 Royal Gull to come on the market...

I almost worked a trade for one a couple years ago.

Seabee: Big, heavy, slow, loud.
I flew a bunch of them way, WAY, back in the day.

That's too bad. I was kind of digging them man. They're so ... hippie van looking.

Maybe shoe-horn a big I0-550 in there somehow with a MT 3 blade and some sound proofing.... :yes:

Weldon's plane crashed landing on glass smooth water, not taking off and nosing over. I hear the hardest thing is to land one of these planes on glass smooth water because it looks like a mirror and you can't judge how high you are.

I need some floats on my Cub. If they were really easy to take on and off I would have some.

This is the bad boy.... You can see Kermit Weeks fly his on youtube.

Attachments

• weeks.jpg
    weeks.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 59
Weldon's plane crashed landing on glass smooth water, not taking off and nosing over. I hear the hardest thing is to land one of these planes on glass smooth water because it looks like a mirror and you can't judge how high you are.

Set the pitch attitude with reference to some trees etc. Hold that attitude with a fixed rate of descent, I try for under a 100 FPM, constant airspeed have a big lake you may fly across it waiting for the splash. Very much like flying the ILS. In the Lake you get a slight warning secondary to "water effect" (like ground effect with compression of air under wings) just before splash down. Almost always a surprise when you land. Keeps wings level try not to look too much to the side, look ahead and keep speed and descent rates nailed. Small lake go between the trees, over the beach at 3-4 feet set pitch at shoreline and wait. Careful if decide to go around as nose pitches down with power and you are never certain how high above the water you are. If a boat is anchored in the lake or a swim platform use that as your touchdown spot. Have done hundreds of them but am always a little apprehensive.

Just a glassy water landing, it's safe just eats lots more real estate.

be103-35.jpg

Here's a weird one I ran across.

http://www.seaplanes.aero/main/index.html

Flying boats as a rule have terrible speed, payload, take of and landing distance, and a lot of squawks against them. But the fun factor has to be off the charts. :goofy:

I've got a bunch of time in that one. Hauls six people off the water easily. Slow and somewhat limited range, but unlimited fun in the air and on the water.

And there you have it.

You never can trust heresay.... :redface:

Back