Kneeboards?

Mike Smith

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fresh Prince of PrattVegas
I think I want a kneeboard. I want a bi-fold and am thinking about the Zuluworks Standard. Anybody have opinions on kneeboards and Zuluworks in particular?

As a CFI I see students come in with a lot of kneeboards. There is a tendency to try to get charts and plotters and iPads and flight planning forms all arrayed across their laps, ready to go. The result is frequently a messy and distracting pilot environment.

You do want to have easy access to everything you need, but be careful not to overdo it. Remember that you can stow a lot of your necessary items in the side pockets of the airplane. My suggestion is to go minimalistic. Don't carry paper in your tri-fold that you don't need for that particular flight. In most cases, a simple metal clipboard/kneeboard is really all you need.

As a CFI I see students come in with a lot of kneeboards. There is a tendency to try to get charts and plotters and iPads and flight planning forms all arrayed across their laps, ready to go. The result is frequently a messy and distracting pilot environment.

You do want to have easy access to everything you need, but be careful not to overdo it. Remember that you can stow a lot of your necessary items in the side pockets of the airplane. My suggestion is to go minimalistic. Don't carry paper in your tri-fold that you don't need for that particular flight. In most cases, a simple metal clipboard/kneeboard is really all you need.

Agree here, just got a cheap kneeboard, had since I was a student. Checklist and chart....some other notes taped on the back.

I just have a canvas blekin case on my iPad mini, with a elastic strap for a small legal pas and pen hoop sewed on, simply sits on my lap, no straps or screws or silliness required.

Works great for contour maps for VFR float flying, or hard IFR at night.

Total cost for the case, having the elastic strap added on, pen and 10 legal pads, under 30 bucks.

I keep my checklist (single laminated half sheet of paper) under my right thigh, chart in the left pocket (folded to position). "Knee board" is mostly for notes and clearances etc.

I have a nice Jepp tri-fold knee board that I bought as a student pilot and used maybe three or four times. It's been collecting dust for twelve years since.

I use full sized clip board. Three of them

1 has my departure airport information.
2 has my en-route information,
3 has my destination airport information.

If I'm flying solo,they all stay on the co-pilots seat. If someone is with me then one of them is on my lap, the other two in the back seat.

I use a small clipboard. It works a lot better than those bi-fold or tri-folds. It's a lot less bulky and I can fit everything on it.

ASA tri-fold. Small notepad under the center clip. Grocery store cheap timer velcroed to upper right. Various notes stuffed into right side. Reading glasses and other notes and folded charts stuffed into left. Works great. As someone said above, this is one area where KISS works well (and we're not talking Gene Simmons here)

I have a metal clipboard that I have been using and its "ok". I do sometimes need my reading glasses to look at the map or some such. I always drop my pen. I just kinda want something where I can write stuff down, grab a pen or a flashlight, or maybe my glasses. I know I cant have it all there, just a few things. It seems anything I put in the right seat ends up on the floor and its hard to reach my bag in the back seat.

I've tried a bunch over the years, but my favorite is still my original one from when I was a student (getting rusty now).

Very similar to this one, but it has a pen clip above the right paper clip:
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9208

Basically a bi-fold version of this:
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/22205

Most of the rest I've found are too think and interfere with yoke to some extent, because I keep the seat pretty high (I'm only 5'-7").

I keep my checklists on the left side and a note sheet on the right.

I recently got one of these. I'm happy with it. All the aircraft I fly have sticks, so the bi- and tri- folds won't work for me. But these has plenty of capacity and onforms to my leg so it never interferes.

http://www.flyboys.com/fb1316.html

I have Sporty's Classic Kneeboard that I had been using for a while. I recently switched to just using the scratchpad (in type mode) in ForeFlight. Easy to write down clearances and whatever else I need. I keep my kneeboard in my flight bag in the back seat in case I need it.

I recently got one of these. I'm happy with it. All the aircraft I fly have sticks, so the bi- and tri- folds won't work for me. But these has plenty of capacity and onforms to my leg so it never interferes.

I've seen that one too.

If I was going to strap crap onto myself to fly a plane, that would be the lesser of the evils.

Sportys used to sell these, discontinued now. I guess they were too simple? No velcro straps, no fold-up hinge in the middle, just an aluminum clipboard with a couple of clips. Chart on the left, clearance pad on the right and a couple of thin strips of foam rubber glued to the back so it doesn't slide around on your lap. As I recall when it was new it also had a little clip to hold your pencil but I removed that and just keep a couple of pencils in my shirt pocket :)

Attachments

• DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 35

I saw that one, my concern is the flap with the eyelets on it. It looks to me like it would get in the way and be aggravating. Otherwise that is exactly what I'm looking for.

I used Sportys cheap VFR kneeboard until the elastic died and my wife gave me another (ASA?) with an inch-wide elastic strap with Velcro. I fold regular paper in half, with the folded edge on the right so my arm doesn't mess it up so much.

It also perfectly holds AOPA kneeboard format airport printouts. I reuse printed pages from work, writing on the back. Pens clip into my pocket or shirtfront, charts live either on the right seat, in passenger hands, or between the front seats. It works for me.

I bought a sportys but I found it always caused the yoke to hit it when turning. Anyone else have this problem? I now just use iPad without a strap.

I bought a sportys but I found it always caused the yoke to hit it when turning. Anyone else have this problem? I now just use iPad without a strap.

I'm 6'2" and could always make a kneeboard work in a 172, but in the Cutlass I'm flying now, the seats sit higher than a Skyhawk, and the yoke hits it. So I just leave the kneeboard on the pax seat or on the floor between the seats, and grab it when I need it.

I do not like tri-folds and such, because they take too much space. I am 6'4" and I can barely fit into most airplanes. So I found this working the best:
http://www.harperaviation.com/kneeboards/

Even so, in some airplanes I have to wear it on my left leg in order to reduce interference with either yoke or stick.

BTW, I was flying with a simple aluminum board with a clip for a couple of years. However, I found it convenient to prepare all the airport data ahead of time. I usually use pages out of A/FD or AOPA info pages and highlight things like frequences, TPA if maked, and remarks. If diagram is missing, I draw it on the margin. So, although I think Mr. write-stuff has a point about the inexperienced needing more paper, I chose the convenience. However, the simple clip was not enough to control all the paper I carry. So, I actually punch the 7-punch pattern in the pages and put them on the rings.

P.S. The Harper's Ultimate Clipboard was suggested by Mr. airdale in another such thread at PoA:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=791419&postcount=26

See attached for Harper's

Attachments

• CIMG1394.JPG
    CIMG1394.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
Sportys used to sell these, discontinued now. I guess they were too simple?
Oh. My. God. I recognize the design. My father brought one of those from America in 1976. Ever since I immigrated I was searching for one of them, but they disappeared long ago, replaced by the junk we have to use now. The contemporary thin-metal clip became so recognizeable, that it made its way to computer icons. What a shame.

I think I want a kneeboard. I want a bi-fold and am thinking about the Zuluworks Standard. Anybody have opinions on kneeboards and Zuluworks in particular?

Hi Mike. I like mine.

I've had a Zuluworks Standard since before they had multiple models. Long long long long time.

Stuff I like about it:
- Reverseable. Flip the board "upside down and stick it to the Velcro like stuff and it's reversed. Good for different cockpits.
- Their flight plan form. I like it. You may want to look at it before you buy. I've gotten used to it and the price tag for refills. It's better for IFR than VFR.
- Clip is STRONG and doesn't stick up far like a typical clipboard. Stuff does not fall off that's under the clip.
- Nylon/Cordura/whatever it is. Stuff is well built.
- Pen pocket. I like being able to zip it up and know the writing instruments are going to be there next time. I don't leave it zipped up in flight, usually however.
- Yellow paper. Stupid but it helps visibility.

Stuff I don't like:

- Leg strap. I have big thighs. I rarely strap it on. I just drape it over a leg or toss it between the seats when I don't need it. It makes an excellent tourniquet. Ha.
- The zipper pocket. Okay it's love-hate. Sometimes I need a pen right now and I have to unzip it.
- The hole in the center top of the paper. Their gimmick to get you to buy even their blank pages. If you want blanks, measure the size and go to Kinkos and have them drill a hole in some paper at the appropriate location. Just give them a blank as a template. It'll be cheaper than buying it from Zuluworks. But you want the hole. The clip will hang on to anything put under it, but the post the hole in the paper goes on to will just wrinkle the top of whatever you clip to it.
- You'll need something else to hold charts if you don't hand hold those and fold them your own way, without them being on something. Personally I use the pax side seat belt when solo or shove them between the seats but if you want it on your lap, this board isn't going to hold them. Too small. I find that a plus. Just sayin'.
- Oh that zipper again. They need to use a YKK or quality zipper. The little zipper handle is too small and the zipper itself is a little wimpy. Mine has held up for years and years but I won't buy bags and things without the bigger and higher quality YKK zippers or similar quality when available. Not available on this thing so I survive without it, but it's cheesy. Big fat zippers are better.

(Same problem with my original Brightline version 1 that's now an orphan -- that won't die. Like their new stuff better but they didn't take care of original customers who made their name for them, so I just keep beating up the original with cheap zippers and pulls. It's hanging in there so far, too. Old guy, old stuff I guess.)

Looking at today's models, I'd get the mini Z.

Even the modest Standard size takes up too much lap space now that I have an organization scheme of my own.

None of their models is big enough to draw a chart line on if you need to do that. I had a regular giant clipboard for that for years.

Don't carry it anymore. iPad draws a better line than I ever did. ;)

I like their flight form but one could just as easily write CRAFT on a blank page and then scribble whatever else you like.

If you're organized you don't need their form, but it is very thorough all the way down to a place for a pattern entry drawing.

I find in reality I fill out only about 50% of it at familiar airports but away from home there's some nice reminders on the 3-in-1 form.

They didn't have Zulucards back when I got mine and I see little need of them. Stuff you should already know mostly.

They also didn't have the deluxe version when I bought mine and that clip hinge doesn't look nearly as strong as the regular one. And the post for the paper hole isn't there. But maybe that's a plus for some.

Never used their Navlog. I print those from the computer or Foreflight these days. Used to like the large 8.5 x 11 ASA ones when I wanted a manual one. Can't say if I like theirs or not. Never ordered nor used them. They may have sent some originally. If so they've long since been round filed.

Had something I already liked. And I can do waypoints on a blank page with times and fuel burn and such without a form, if pressed.

The stuff on the 3-in-1 acts as reminders at times but it's no big surprise that a flight consists of waypoints, headings, times, and fuel burn so the Navlog wasn't that useful to me.

Have beat the hell out of mine. It just keeps working. Have thought about cutting the leg strap off completely.

Updates I'd like:

- Put a loop on it somewhere so I can clip it to things with a carabiner or just put a piece of paracord on it for when it falls somewhere and I don't want to dig around for it.
- Make it in the "tacti-cool" Flat Dark Earth color so popular these days.
- Heavier real Cordura fabric would be nice. But hell, I haven't worn any holes in it throwing it around the cockpit or in the flight bag... Heh.
- Put a business card window pouch on the outside so if I drop it somewhere it might find its way home.
- Make the leg strap removable or a clean option with no strap.

All minor stuff. I like it. It's completely functional and durable and it works for me.

Another vote for the Ultimate Kneeboard. Been flying with one since the 90s. Well organized and uses standard Staple paper refills for the pad.

Another vote for the Ultimate Kneeboard. Been flying with one since the 90s. Well organized and uses standard Staple paper refills for the pad.

Whatever you choose, Home Depot has retractable pencil holders, which work just fine with pens. Makes losing your pen well nigh impossible.

15834611192_a74b1361f5_z.jpg

Used to use stainless steel fishing leaders for the same purpose. The cropdusters I used to ferry had no floors, so anything dropped was lost in the belly until the next stop.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I have a jeep three fold kneeboard that I've had for years,now mostly use I pad with ram mount.

Keep it simple, and cheap.

I simply got a small cheap clipboard, stuck some Velcro on the back, and got a Velcro strap that I put around my leg.

Also put a small square of Velcro on the front right side of the board and put a little Velcro around a cheap pen.

Works.

Total cost, maybe $5 if I had to get everything new, but for me it was free cause I had everything already in house.

Last edited:
I have the same one I had in training. I've had to tighten up the elastic band to keep it on my leg. It is a single aluminum plate with varoious important stuff imprinted.
I took a 5x8 card and laminated it and use a grease pencil to write down what I need.
I have a separate clipboard on the floor with airport info printed from AOPA. My checklists are laminated and I tuck them in the side of the glareshield.
I guess there is a benefit to being an owner, you can put this stuff in a plane and know it will be there when you come back.

Sportys used to sell these, discontinued now. I guess they were too simple? No velcro straps, no fold-up hinge in the middle, just an aluminum clipboard with a couple of clips. Chart on the left, clearance pad on the right and a couple of thin strips of foam rubber glued to the back so it doesn't slide around on your lap. As I recall when it was new it also had a little clip to hold your pencil but I removed that and just keep a couple of pencils in my shirt pocket :)

Like the look of that one. Looks to be possible to replicate with a sheet of something thin, light, and durable, and a few other easily sourced supplies.

My kneeboard has been sitting in flight bag for a long time now. Not sure the last time I have used it.

Frankenboard: I use the free tri-fold one that AOPA sent me several years ago but I slipped my small metal kneeboard with clip inside it. So now it's basically the same as the Jepp tri-fold except it cost me next to nothing. I don't carry paper other than a paper note pad - that is the one thing I don't do on FF (FF needs to improve scratch pad to be more like WingX).

Instead of yellow scratch pads I use those lined sticky notes of about the same size. They tear off easier and I can stick them up on the glare shield or window if I want. I've even used them as sun shades for my Stratus on occasion. :D

Oh... and my pen is tied on with a piece of string so dropping it is never a problem.

Last edited:
I saw that one, my concern is the flap with the eyelets on it. It looks to me like it would get in the way and be aggravating. Otherwise that is exactly what I'm looking for.
I use it with the soft rings and a few chart pages to hold airport diagrams, frequencies, checklists, etc. Sectional under the clear strap. That's more than I need for VFR. I stick a grease pencil in the side so I can write directly on the plastic page holders. I don't have it in front of me, but I think the way it's made you could remove that flap. They might even make one for you without it.

I just have a simple metal Asa kneeboard that I like. Keeps everything where I want and has some emergency info printed on the metal.

My kneeboard has been sitting in flight bag for a long time now. Not sure the last time I have used it.
I just have to ask, seriously: what do you do with clearances? Just remember them?

One thing I've add to the small office pad on my kneeboard is a rubber band along the bottom edge.

When I have the air vents open and blowing during the warmer months, the flow is angled just right and with enough velocity to start the pages flapping and causing a distraction. The rubber band was a the 1¢ for this.

I just have to ask, seriously: what do you do with clearances? Just remember them?

I don't get clearances. Except for my flight training, all my flying has been done VFR at non-towered field.

I just scribble them down on the departure airport's taxi diagram.

There is plenty of blank space on almost every airport diagram and approach plate for misc notes.

I had a trifold, quickly realized I only need the clip board, slipped it out, and set the trifold aside. The clipboard has slots on the side for running a belt through, but I seldom use that feature.

Back