Kidney Stone

• Thread starter Kidney Stone Patient
  • Start date
K

Kidney Stone Patient

Yes...another kidney stone thread.

I'm on Basic Med.

10 days ago I ended up in the Emergency Department at a local hospital. The diagnosis after a CT was a 3mm kidney stone on the right, and a 2mm stone on the left. The pain was on the right, so it was assumed by the Physician's Assistant that I was passing the 3mm stone. I was sent home with pain meds and told to follow-up with my urologist.

I spoke with the urologist, and we agreed I would try to pass it before he got more aggressive (e.g., doing a uteroscopy). (If you don't know what a uteroscopy is, Google it. If you're a male, it's a pretty safe bet you'll cringe. :no: ) After several days of severe discomfort, with me watching like a hawk ever time I peed, the conclusion was "no joy," and a uteroscopy was undertaken. Afterwards, the doc said that there was no evidence of the stone in my ureter or bladder, and I must have passed it shortly before the procedure.

Assuming that I have retained the 2mm stone, and passed the 3mm stone, what do I need to do in terms of Basic Med and/or the FAA? Help and advice would be appreciated.

Nothing. WIth Basic it's between you and your Basic Med Doc. Unless you have a Neurologic, Cardiologic or psychiatric event, FAA is not involved.

PS I'm amazed you manged to hold out so long. You're pretty tough.

Yes...another kidney stone thread.

I'm on Basic Med.

10 days ago I ended up in the Emergency Department at a local hospital. The diagnosis after a CT was a 3mm kidney stone on the right, and a 2mm stone on the left. The pain was on the right, so it was assumed by the Physician's Assistant that I was passing the 3mm stone. I was sent home with pain meds and told to follow-up with my urologist.

I spoke with the urologist, and we agreed I would try to pass it before he got more aggressive (e.g., doing a uteroscopy). (If you don't know what a uteroscopy is, Google it. If you're a male, it's a pretty safe bet you'll cringe. :no: ) After several days of severe discomfort, with me watching like a hawk ever time I peed, the conclusion was "no joy," and a uteroscopy was undertaken. Afterwards, the doc said that there was no evidence of the stone in my ureter or bladder, and I must have passed it shortly before the procedure.

Assuming that I have retained the 2mm stone, and passed the 3mm stone, what do I need to do in terms of Basic Med and/or the FAA? Help and advice would be appreciated.

Nothing, nothing at all.

Back