just went to a nascar race (na)

citationxjl

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Just got home from the Nascar Busch race in Phoenix, got free tickets from a friend last minute. WOW..it was a blast and those cars are loud!!! Especially sitting right at the end of a corner where they are accelerating down the straightaway. Very fun time.
(this will probably bring out all the nascar jokes, I have heard them all, but go ahead!! :)

i made the martinsville cup race, would love to be able to come to az for a race, hell of a track..

citationxjl said:
Just got home from the Nascar Busch race in Phoenix, got free tickets from a friend last minute. WOW..it was a blast and those cars are loud!!! Especially sitting right at the end of a corner where they are accelerating down the straightaway. Very fun time.
(this will probably bring out all the nascar jokes, I have heard them all, but go ahead!! :)

I forgot who said it about fans throwing beers at basketball games but one NASCAR driver said their fans would never do that, they won't let go of their beers. :)

This sounds like fun. They never seem to come up this way. I don't know why.

I'm going to the Professional Bull Riding Show next week, though! That should be wild.

Up here in the middle of the "stix" we have a track at which most of the well-known drivers have built upon their skills: Oxford Plains Speedway.
It's been said that a true race car fan can be immediately identified by a speech pattern: Anyone who can say, "Sonofabitch", while inhaling is a true auto racing fan.

HR (once drove a race car at Unity Raceway in a "Racecar battle of radio/TV announcers" benefit. Came in 2nd in 50 lap race.)

I've grown up in NASCAR central, Charlotte NC but I've only attended one race and that was enough for me. I love to watch them on TV but sitting in the cramped bleachers with barely sober people tossing chicken bones at their least favorite drivers I can do without. (I couldn't afford the luxury suites or the reserved seating where they toss cavier at their least favorite drivers.)

You do have to be there though to experience the sound. There is nothing in the world like it. We left with about 75 laps left at Charlotte a few years ago and even from our parking space a mile away when they restarted after a yellow you could feel it as much as hear it.

I flew for a team on the then Winston Cup circuit for three years. It's exciting and somewhat glamorous and if you ever want to be truly married to your job, it's for you. A bit like being part of Barnum and Bailey with you being in charge of herding the cats.

I used to live about 1/2 mile from the track in Daytona Beach. When they had a race going, I'd open my windows and doors and enjoy the sound while watching the race on TV, since I could rarely actually afford to go. Awesome :)

You should see Bristol! Now that is a high speed crash up derby!

Brent

Toby said:
This sounds like fun. They never seem to come up this way. I don't know why.

I'm going to the Professional Bull Riding Show next week, though! That should be wild.

I went to my first real rodeo about 7 years ago in Texas in fell in LOVE with it. WOOHOO. The best riders (to me) are the pickup riders. Talk about being "at one" with your horse. Barrel racing was fun to watch too.

I don't see how those guys can ride those bucking broncos and bulls without permanently damaging themselves. Talk about tough. Whew.

Carol said:
I went to my first real rodeo about 7 years ago in Texas in fell in LOVE with it. WOOHOO. The best riders (to me) are the pickup riders. Talk about being "at one" with your horse. Barrel racing was fun to watch too.

I don't see how those guys can ride those bucking broncos and bulls without permanently damaging themselves. Talk about tough. Whew.
Carol,

I've never been to a rodeo. Are the pickup riders the ones who run alongside the horse and jump up on it? And what's barrel racing?

I'll bet if you were here, you'd go to the show with me. I couldn't find anyone to go with! All my friends either burst out laughing or said something about mistreatment of animals. So I finally just bought myself a ticket.

We went to Darlington a few times for the Labor Day race (which they don't get anymore.. grrr..), and my dad actually has been racing at the local track in Timmonsville ever since I was in middle school. He's switched to trucks this year, and I don't know how much longer he'll do it, but he loves it. He's got racing to spend all of his money on, I've got aviation. :)

Toby said:
Carol,

I've never been to a rodeo. Are the pickup riders the ones who run alongside the horse and jump up on it? And what's barrel racing?

I'll bet if you were here, you'd go to the show with me. I couldn't find anyone to go with! All my friends either burst out laughing or said something about mistreatment of animals. So I finally just bought myself a ticket.

Rodeos are fun. The animals definitely have the advantage.

Pickup riders are the guys who ride out and pick up the guy after he's been bucked off or the ride otherwise ends. He puts himself and his horse between the vulnerable rider and the probably-still-POed animal he just got off of and gets the rider to safety. The pickup rider has to be fast and accurate.

Barrel racing is a race of speed and accuracy around barrels positioned in the arena. The rider and horse must work together well as a team.

Just go. It's great fun. I wish I could be there to go with you. Write another book! Then you can count the cost of the ticket as a tax deduction. Maybe?

Carol said:
Just go. It's great fun. I wish I could be there to go with you. Write another book! Then you can count the cost of the ticket as a tax deduction. Maybe?
Nah, I talked to my accountant about all that. Writing is considered my hobby (terrible word) by the IRS, and they are strict about deductions for hobbies. It's going to be fun, though.

Back