John Wayne Airport

Luvrv8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KCMA flyer
My IA's daughter is at a Orange County hospital/physical therapy center for at least 6 months. I will be flying him out to John Wayne on Fridays and picking him up on Sundays so he can spend time with her and keep his business open here in Camarillo. I will make the flights VFR as I can but as weather is marginal I will have a friend and his plane ready to go IFR as I am just a IFR student now. My question is I under stand there is a $12.50 landing charge, that is not a problem. What I need is info or suggestions on what FBO to use there as I will buy fuel there to help offset the FBO's ramp fee but most want fuel and a ramp fee. I usually fly with full tanks so I am looking at under 15 gallons at fill up in my plane, I could leave Camarillo without full tanks but I love fuel and dont mind carrying as much as I can pack in. Does anyone here have any insight they can offer me?

My IA's daughter is at a Orange County hospital/physical therapy center for at least 6 months. I will be flying him out to John Wayne on Fridays and picking him up on Sundays so he can spend time with her and keep his business open here in Camarillo. I will make the flights VFR as I can but as weather is marginal I will have a friend and his plane ready to go IFR as I am just a IFR student now. My question is I under stand there is a $12.50 landing charge, that is not a problem. What I need is info or suggestions on what FBO to use there as I will buy fuel there to help offset the FBO's ramp fee but most want fuel and a ramp fee. I usually fly with full tanks so I am looking at under 15 gallons at fill up in my plane, I could leave Camarillo without full tanks but I love fuel and dont mind carrying as much as I can pack in. Does anyone here have any insight they can offer me?

Karl,

I don't have any SNA skinny, but talk to the FBO managers... I had a similar mission a couple years back, for three months, except I was the visitor... Flew in every weekend, overnighted 2-3 days. Bought fuel every time, and they waived ramp and tiedown fees entirely.

Paul

Try Atlantic, your choices are not many. What Paul said. Definitely room for negotiation here.

My map shows the trip to be just over 69 NM (straight line distance) - and almost over the top of LAX. In my experience, it's not worth the effort to try to use an airplane for any distance short of about 200 miles (unless there is some obvious barrier like Lake Michigan).
L.A. traffic notwithstanding, you'd be better off to drive. Just travel very early or very late.

Dave

My map shows the trip to be just over 69 NM (straight line distance) - and almost over the top of LAX. In my experience, it's not worth the effort to try to use an airplane for any distance short of about 200 miles (unless there is some obvious barrier like Lake Michigan).
L.A. traffic notwithstanding, you'd be better off to drive. Just travel very early or very late.

Dave

You ever driven from Camarillo to Orange County? At best it's 1.5 hours each way, at worst...2-3 hours. So, yes, there is a barrier. It's called Los Angeles!

You ever driven from Camarillo to Orange County? At best it's 1.5 hours each way, at worst...2-3 hours. So, yes, there is a barrier. It's called Los Angeles!
+1. The firm I used to work for was based in the San Fernando Valley but I often had occasion to travel to its Newport Beach branch office, across Campus Drive from KSNA. Depending on the time of day, IFR flights from KVNY to KSNA and back would save at least an hour, often two, compared to the round-trip drive.

I flew there today, we had to go ifr. It was a 44 min flight in his Cardinal. Signature air took a docs note and will waive all ramp fees.

Back