Job Change = Macbook Pro 17"?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Well as of Wednesday I got an odd shift at my job. My current position is being eliminated, and I'm being shifted to a different department. As part of my change, I've been offered the opportunity for a new laptop. Preliminary requests have succeeded in the following specs:

Macbook Pro 17"
2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB 7200RPM
17" Hi-Def (1920x1200) Glossy Widescreen
256MB NVIDIA 8600M GT Video card
8X SuperDrive
3-year AppleCare
Extra Smug

So then my question to the Apple fanboys (and girls) is this: It's no cost to me, so either is fine, but would you recommend me cutting back to a 15" and for what reasons? I just want to weigh those ideas against what I'm thinking of. Thanks!

Well as of Wednesday I got an odd shift at my job. My current position is being eliminated, and I'm being shifted to a different department. As part of my change, I've been offered the opportunity for a new laptop. Preliminary requests have succeeded in the following specs:

Macbook Pro 17"
2.4 Ghz Intel(TM) Core(R) 2 Duo
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB 7200RPM
17" Hi-Def (1920x1200) Glossy Widescreen
256MB NVIDIA 8600M GT Video card
8X SuperDrive
3-year AppleCare
Extra Smug

So then my question to the Apple fanboys (and girls) is this: It's no cost to me, so either is fine, but would you recommend me cutting back to a 15" and for what reasons? I just want to weigh those ideas against what I'm thinking of. Thanks!

:D I think I got them in the right order. :D

The only factor I'd use on the size is - are you going to be carrying it a lot? Which is lighter?

On the other hand, with my old eyes, I'd go for the larger screen every time. :p

Both my laptops are 17" displays using 1440x900. But, I prefer higher resolution for more desktop space. It's a not easier for me when I can see more of the document I'm working on, particularly spreadsheets and graphics.

The office I'm moving into has dual 22" screens, so I plan on requesting one of these as well:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/dh2go/digital/home.php
Geeze, that ought to give you enough desktop at work! Will those run off the laptop or a desktop workstation? If the former, I'd be curious how it would operate. All I can picture is one display emulating the laptop display then the second a run-on to the side.

I saw a guy yesterday who ran a desktop with a single monitor... a 32" flat panel. The funny thing is, his resolution was huge. Either he's blind or just likes huge icons. I hope he's not too blind. He owns a construction company.

I saw a guy yesterday who ran a desktop with a single monitor... a 32" flat panel. The funny thing is, his resolution was huge. Either he's blind or just likes huge icons. I hope he's not too blind. He owns a construction company.
Probably bought it to impress others and doesn't know how to change resolution.

Probably bought it to impress others and doesn't know how to change resolution.
LOL That describes a LOT of people when it comes to maintaining and properly setting up a computer. I'm no genius but I learned a fair amount by trial and error. And, I hate a desktop so crowded with icons, there's no clue what's underneath... sign of a potential sign of a poorly performing computer.

The office I'm moving into has dual 22" screens, so I plan on requesting one of these as well:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/dh2go/digital/home.php

I'm officially jealous. What I want at work more than anything is SCREEN REAL ESTATE. I'm required to have dozens of windows open at once since I have to work on 12 projects at once and my job is to be a human lookup table.

That Matrox device is neat but I'd be scared about it being VGA rather than digital. A lot of displays give vastly poorer performance with VGA vs. DVI. I just read reviews of the big 1920x1020 Plasma that say you want to use the HDMI port with a DVI-HDMI cable. Still, let me know how it works. I have a 1920x1020 widescreen Dell LCD. Adding a second would be heaven.

As far as the Macbook Pro, it depends on if you have to be mobile with it. I got a 15" because I thought the 17" was too big to be commuting with.

Kent has a 17" MacbookPro in the truck. It's a truck!

My best advice: Max out the hard drive. You'll run out of disk space with media files first. It's good that you got 4GB RAM.

Last edited:
yea i wish i had a bigger monitor too mike. at work ive got something like a 15 inch LCD. its like working on an oscilloscope

My work is 99.9% on computer, graphic intensive, 8-12 hours a day. I use a Sony Vaio 13" laptop and I couldn't be happier. Actually, I'm thinking of getting a SMALLER machine for travel.

William, take as much computer as you can get, but just be happy they kept you as an employee.

Jason,

William got a mac with his new job! *hint* *hint*

Last edited:
William, take as much computer as you can get, but just be happy they kept you as an employee.

Oh I'm absolutely thankful that they found a place for me that didn't result in a paycut or any major change. And the PO for the system I listed above went in today, so hopefully by next Friday I'll have it.

A company helicopter for faster Omaha response times.

Jason's got a helicopter he could give you, but I'm pretty sure it won't make Omaha, or lift you. :rofl:

Of course, if you're waiting for Omaha, it could at least pass the time...

Back