JetBlue lav flier is a cry-baby

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
If the ticket is free, you have to shut your pie hole!
"The Associated Press reports Gokhan Mutlu is suing the low-cost carrier for over $2 million following the alleged February 23 incident."
In my opinion (never humble), this guy has no leg to stand on. Dude, the ticket was free. You can expect to put up with some do-do when you are a free-loader.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

If the ticket is free, you have to shut your pie hole!
"The Associated Press reports Gokhan Mutlu is suing the low-cost carrier for over $2 million following the alleged February 23 incident."
In my opinion (never humble), this guy has no leg to stand on. Dude, the ticket was free. You can expect to put up with some do-do when you are a free-loader.

I disagree. But first I think there is much more behind this story than we know at this point, so it is like opining about a crash based on newspaper reports only....

Free seat or not, the Airline violated federal law by not providing the passenger with a seatbelt - and one was available. All the captain had to say is: "Authorized cockpit jump seater, stop whining sit down and buckle in. Mr. Mutlu, stay in your assigned seat."

Instead, he chose to violate federal law and compromise Mutlu's safety.

Open and shut case. If I were the insurance carrier, I would pay early to try to shut down the negative publicity, as the case is a dead loser if it gets to a jury.

-Skip

Last edited:
I'm with ApacheBob on this one. If I were the JetBlue employee that gave this guy a pass, I would be livid. (More serious consequences went through my mind, but I wouldn't want to post those on a public forum)

I disagree. But first I think there is much more behind this story than we know at this point, so it is like opining about a crash based on newspaper reports only....

Free seat or not, the Airline violated federal law by not providing the passenger with a seatbelt - and one was available. All the captain had to say is: "Authorized cockpit jump seater, stop whining sit down and buckle in. Mr. Mutlu, stay in your assigned seat."

Instead, he chose to violate federal law and compromise Mutlu's safety.

Open and shut case. If I were the insurance carrier, I would pay early to try to shut down the negative publicity, as the case is a dead loser if it gets to a jury.

-Skip

Agree to a point - but - I don't think he had grounds to sue. Pursue it through the FAA? You bet. Violation of the FARs - if it was as reported, you bet.

This was a chain of events, starting with the non-rev, non-working FA that accepted the cabin jump seat and found it "uncomfortable" and bumped this guy from his seat. She never should have accepted the jump seat... and this guy never would have been boarded. Bad judgement on the part of several employees.

OTOH, I also agree that the airline needs to take action, and fast, before the bad publicity kills 'em. A trial will just keep it in the spotlight.

This is being discussed over the other blue board.

FAs aren't allowed to ride in the cockpit. I can't imagine any pilot in his right mind would do something like this; my guess is the guy was bitching about his seat, and the CA said something along the lines of "if you don't like your [free] seat, you can go sit in the lav." And the guy did.

When you're ridding on someone's buddy pass, you're pretty much the lowest of the low on the airline's totem pole. You have to dress nice, be nice, and do whatever the crew and gate agents tell you. That said, non-reving crew members are held to an even higher standard, and there's no way that crew member is going to come out of the cockpit to bump and (semi) paying pax out of their seat for a non-rever (though crew members DO take boarding priority over pass riders). When you're jumpseating, you're just happy to get on the flight, you don't ask for anything more than what they give you.

If the story is true, all crew members involved better be doing a carpet dance on this one, but this guy has a lot to prove...not many crew members would be this dumb.

Um, is there a link to this story? I have not heard anything about this...

Ah... don't know how I missed it. Thanks.

The captain, as Pilot in Command, has ultimate authority over what goes on aboard their aircraft. Period. Now, it does seem like we're seeing a one-sided, sensationalized story here (what? in a mainstream media article about aviation? never!), so it will be interesting to see how it actually played out.

I had to fly cattle class back from Athens week before last. Having to sit in the lav would have been much nicer than the cramped coach seat I was in with the wonderful UAL stewardess telling my I could not have the armrest up to make two inches more of room to spread out.

I had to fly cattle class back from Athens week before last. Having to sit in the lav would have been much nicer than the cramped coach seat I was in with the wonderful UAL stewardess telling my I could not have the armrest up to make two inches more of room to spread out.

I remember the old biz class seats on Delta (in the L1011 days)... if you asked, the entire middle armrest assembly could be removed. So much nicer....

FAs aren't allowed to ride in the cockpit. I can't imagine any pilot in his right mind would do something like this; my guess is the guy was bitching about his seat, and the CA said something along the lines of "if you don't like your [free] seat, you can go sit in the lav." And the guy did.

.....there's no way that crew member is going to come out of the cockpit to bump and (semi) paying pax out of their seat for a non-rever (though crew members DO take boarding priority over pass riders). ....

On the Larger planes, there are extra FA jumpseats in the cabin. I bet the FA showed up after the passrider was aboard and got the extra FA jumpseat.... Or else the passrider would have not been alowed to get the last seat, as it would have been given to the FA.

If the FA wasen't comfy, she should have just walked around.

If the Cap really asked the passrider to give up his seat for a whiny FA, he must have been expecting sexual favors from the FA or else why would he jeopardize his job for her??????

The Cap should have either asked the passrider to sit on the FA jumpseat & if anyone asked him, to tell them he was a JB emp. No one would have known. Or he should have told the FA to sit down & shut up :)

Letterman just made jokes about it... said he's a glass half full kind of guy, figures the dude probably collected $50 in tips during the flight.

Back