Jepp Airport Diagram Question.

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
This excerpt is from KMIA and where RWY 27 and 30 intersect

F2251F2F-4119-4D44-B5DE-BA0F37FC3C8F.jpeg

I know the rectangles by Q10 and Q are the displaced thresholds.

But what is "hatched" symbol mean before the threshold? How is this information put into play?

Why is part of that white and part of it black and what does each color mean?

I've been scrubbing the intro to Jepp charts PDF but have not found the answer.

Reason I want to know: Airline interview.

Looks to me like it is part of the approach light system. Part of it is prior to the pavement, part is embedded in the pavement.

Looks to me like it is part of the approach light system. Part of it is prior to the pavement, part is embedded in the pavement.

You might be pointing me in proper direction.... here is DFW's 35C and 35L

0DB22F06-59A4-4294-9816-8DDDF20533DA.jpeg

That appears to have some of the approach lights in some of the pavement.

The white portion is not runway, it's overrun. The black portion is runway with a displaced threshold.

That picture shows it well. The chevrons on the over-runs, white arrows in the displayed threshold, and normal taxiway markings where it's taxiway, not runway.

The questions on an airline interview aren't likely going to be to be anything that could be seen as esoteric. They want to make sure you have basic IFR knowledge, not be a Jepp chart expert. They might ask you what the HS1 means, for example. In fact I have a list of questions I was asked on one interview (this pertains to the airport diagram only, as you might expect, there were more questions on approach and arrival charts):
  • How long is this runway?
  • Does this runway have a slope?
  • Are there any runways at this airport less than 100 feet wide?
  • What are the HS-1, HS-2, etc?
  • You are following a taxi route for takeoff which will cause a traffic conflict with an aircraft exiting the runway toward you, which aircraft has the right-of-way?

Jepp should also have a guide listing what each symbol means. Don’t have the link but if you do a quick search, you should be able to find it.

Know how to find the top and bottom altitudes on the START and SID plates. Those make good interview questions.

Also, where on the Jepp approach plate you'll find if, and when, you need to apply the cold weather altitude correction.

Know how to find the top and bottom altitudes on the START and SID plates. Those make good interview questions

Reviewing some gouge, it said you may be shown the plate for KORD and their SID, CHICAGO 7. The question is "what is the highest altitude you can climb to before ATC directs higher?"

My answer to the answer to the question is 5000. This is found in the lower right with the ROUTING box saying "Cross D5.5 Arc GCO at or above, cross D8.5 Arc GCO at or above 4000, MAINTAIN 5000, or assigned altitude."

Someone verify if this is the correct answer.

Follow on question: on the same Jepp chart, the ORD is surrounded by a magenta ring with letters ARP to the lower right. What is ARP, and what is is the magenta ring representing?

Follow on question: on the same Jepp chart, the ORD is surrounded by a magenta ring with letters ARP to the lower right. What is ARP, and what is is the magenta ring representing?
"ARP" is the "airport reference point" (if there's an on-field VOR it might be the name of the VOR). It is used a a reference point for the MSA (defined as either minimum safe or minimum sector altitude). That's the 3400 you see on the O'Hare 7 SID. The ring is 25 nm in diameter unless it gives another number. It's not in this one but it can be divided into different sectors with different altitudes.

And yes, it's also in that manual I linked.

My answer to the answer to the question is 5000. This is found in the lower right with the ROUTING box saying "Cross D5.5 Arc GCO at or above, cross D8.5 Arc GCO at or above 4000, MAINTAIN 5000, or assigned altitude."
It's also in the box to the right of the one you quoted. The one that says "TOP ALTITUDE" I would be sure to understand what TOP ALTITUDE and BOTTOM ALTITUDE mean.

Lower-right corner on the plate shows the TOP ALTITUDE as 5,000'. That's where you get it. The note in the routing is just re-stating it. Always look for the TOP ALTITUDE.

You'll also see the notes to maintain 250kt until advised by ATC. That means 250kts above 10,000'. Chicago center will eventually tell you to resume normal speed.

Good luck on the interview! The odds are in your favor. Everyone is hiring like crazy.

Back