Is this tent any good?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Looking at gearing-up for OSH next year. I suspect it's too small, but what say you all about this tent, quality and cost?

http://www.woot.com/

Looking at gearing-up for OSH next year. I suspect it's too small, but what say you all about this tent, quality and cost?

http://www.woot.com/

I *think* "Mountain Trails" is Wal-Mart or K-Mart brand.

:dunno:

It will be fine as long as there is no rain and no dew.

Better yet -- get a Mountain Hardwear and be set for life (I've had my MH Syview 3 since 1998 or so and have used every year since then backcamping, car camping, canoe camping, and even for some Army bivouacs)

Oshkosh? Get one that is rated for thunderstorms and 3" of standing water - heehee! :)

It'll work fine until the first storm. It will still work fine, it's just you, your companions, and all your belongings will be soaking wet.

Compared to what we spend on airplanes, tents are quite inexpensive. My vacation time is precious; I don't get that much. I want my vacation to go as smoothly as I can. I am therefore happy to spend more money on a tent that I know will stay dry and upright through the thunderstorms that perpetually wrack Oshkosh.

I am therefore happy to spend more money on a tent that I know will stay dry and upright through the thunderstorms that perpetually wrack Oshkosh.

Perpetually is a big word. But appropriate, regarding T-storms and Oshkosh. ;-)

But to the original poster - go to a real camping store and buy a good tent. The one on Woot may be great, or it may stink. Unless you can inspect one or find a real customer review somewhere, I'd pass.

Last edited:
For two (you and your son) that should be just about right.
I'm wanting, though to build a pallet below because there is no high ground in the north 40.

We've gone through several tents over 20 years of Oshkosh. Our current tent and the one I would recommend is the Cabela's dome tent. They're available in a variety of sizes. They hold up well (we have a little encampment of those in the volunteer area every year). They're easy up, and hold up in the Oshkosh high wind thunderstorm that you're sure to get. I've had other tents shred and one with aluminum poles that have a definite "list" bent into it from Oshkosh storms.

regardless of whatever tent you get... go to the army surplus and buy the big military spec tent stakes.. It takes a hammer to put in the ground and a pry bar to get them out. Your tent WILL stay secured to the ground.. More than i can say for the wire style stakes that pull out easily.

Spend the money for a good MSR or if you're just made of cash, a Helliberg. I have my entire pack weight, pack and all, below 14lbs and it makes a great survival kit that's easy to throw in the plane. I HATE lugging around heavy tents.

Be sure to include the cost of the lobotomy in the cost when considering the purchase of a tent.

Why hasn't Pete chimed in? From what I saw at 6Y9, he's the tent guru!! :)

Back