Is there a website data base of airfields that have T hangars available?

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I'm trying to do a little retirement planning. I'm looking for places that I can keep a plane nearby?

I would guess its a short list. I don't know of any airports with vacant T hangars off hand.

Pull a blank piece of paper out of your printer. Stare at it. That's a fairly accurate list of places with available hangars at the moment.

Probably better to figure out the "everything else" for wherever you want to live, and then bite the bullet to get on the hangar list at the closest airport.

Another way to think about might be where are T-Hangars impossible. South FL might be an example. My airport just built about 50 new hangars and the wait list is at about 100. It took me 2.5 years to get off the waitlist. These hangars rent for about $325. I'm at KFIN in NE FL. If you are doing advanced planning, you could get on the waitlist now and likely have something in a few years.

Go to West Palm/Fort Lauderdale/Miami and I believe the numbers more than double, both waitlist and $$. Pretty sure there are other "no way, no how" areas.

Have you looked at airparks in the areas you'd like to retire?

That said, while I don't know of a database with all the info, the county/city managed ones are easy to ask about. Find the airports and give the office a call. Many have websites that list availability.

There is no such website that I’m aware of. The hangar shortage is an issue nationwide.

hangartrader.com makes an attempt, but it's pretty lacking bad. I've had great luck spending time (lots of time) on the phone.
As for the "no hangars anywhere" part, I posted elsewhere about a door issue with my hangar. The airport office gave me a key to a nearby unoccupied T with a working door for me to use while waiting for parts for mine. They said it was "one of a couple open ones".

Nauga,
who lives where others don't[/S]

I called about 15 airports at various places I was thinking of moving to…all had waiting lists. I would put yourself on a list now.

hangartrader.com makes an attempt, but it's pretty lacking bad. I've had great luck spending time (lots of time) on the phone.
As for the "no hangars anywhere" part, I posted elsewhere about a door issue with my hangar. The airport office gave me a key to a nearby unoccupied T with a working door for me to use while waiting for parts for mine. They said it was "one of a couple open ones".

Nauga,
who lives where others don't[/S]
I also live where others don't. We have availability in Peoria, IL. And they're cheap.

Another way to think about might be where are T-Hangars impossible. South FL might be an example. My airport just built about 50 new hangars and the wait list is at about 100. It took me 2.5 years to get off the waitlist. These hangars rent for about $325. I'm at KFIN in NE FL. If you are doing advanced planning, you could get on the waitlist now and likely have something in a few years.

Go to West Palm/Fort Lauderdale/Miami and I believe the numbers more than double, both waitlist and $$. Pretty sure there are other "no way, no how" areas.

I’m based at KFIN as well… was on the waitlist for 3 years and able to move into one of the new hangars. My goal is KSGJ I live 10 mins north of there and probably have at least 4 more years to go before I can get into there or when my 7 year old starts college… and I’ve been on the list for four years now.

I also live where others don't. We have availability in Peoria, IL. And they're cheap.
My airport, Lone Rock, WI, had empty hangars for the last decade. We are full now, but you would likely wait less than a year. And we have plenty of ground leases available if you want to build.

There are lots of places with openings or, at least affordable options. The list gets a lot smaller when trimmed to places you would want to live.
Hey now!

Back