Is there a lawyer in the house? Travel woes...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Here's the sitrep:

Last year my wife and I booked a cruise with Windjammer (http://www.windjammer.com) to sail in November on the Yankee Clipper. Captain's cabin.

Hurrican Ivan leveled Grenada and our cruise was cancelled.

We rescheduled in February for a May cruise. Our agent didn't get anything back from Windjammer until April at which time we learned that they'd put us in a standard cabin. (Standard = bunk beds, captains = double bed). This is supposed to be our honeymoon, deferred originally and now delayed another 8 months.

So we told Windjammer, thanks but no thanks, we want (and paid for) a captains cabin, and the next available one was in August. SO please give us back our money. (Trip paid for by my mother in law.)

Our agent has gone round and round with Windjammer but they are refusing a refund because the original cruise was cancelled by an act of God, but we can take any cruise with a captains cabin available this year (not limited to our original cruise).

Legal question: Since we re-scheduled in Feb for capt's cabin and they got it wrong, are they entitled to keep our money anyway since this was a reschedule?

We're not happy. :(

I'm fairly certain that if you failed to buy cancellation insurance you're screwed. I believe your only option will be to reschedule (if they'll let you) or be subject to their cancellation policy.

We did take out the trip insurance but I don't recall if cancellation insurance was in that or not...

Greebo said:
We did take out the trip insurance but I don't recall if cancellation insurance was in that or not...

Typically is part of the coverage package.

If you want, send me an email, it's possible that I can put you together a nicer deal for a honeymoon on a crewed private vessel. Depends on what kind of setting you're looking for.

The offer is appreciated, and very much so, but the money has already been paid for the cruise line in question, and they're basically not taking us out to dinner before ****ing us, says my wife.

So unfortunately we're stuck dealing with this company. :frown:

Sorry to hear that about Windjammer. The only cruise my wife and I have ever taken was on Legacy 7 years ago when it was brand new. We had a ball. I love a cruise line where their idea of dressing up for dinner is a clean T shirt... :D Good luck getting this resolved.

Chuck, I'm an attorney and I once played one on T.V. Your travel insurance should have covered the Hurricane cancellation. File a claim ASAP! Cruise Lines are notorious for the laws and rules which govern them. There is an amazing amount of fine print in Cruise contracts. The travel insurance is your best bet. If for some reason the policy does not cover the loss Keep pounding Wind Jammer with requests they will often relent after much persistence.

On another note if you can get your money back Hennings offer sounds amazing.
If you like you can email me we can talk about it more and perhaps I can give you some ideas.

Update:

We've opted, somewhat grugingly, take a somewhat different cruise (different ship diferent route) around Labor Day. (IE We're taking Windjammer's offer.) Provided nothing ELSE goes wrong, we're going to make the best of it, although we still feel somewhat as though we should have been bought dinner by Windjammer before they screwed us.

*sigh* Carol really wants the cruise, so this will probably work out for the best.

C

Our fingers are crossed, Chuck. September = hurricane season again!

-Skip

Back