iPad case/cover idea? (full size)

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I just got a full size iPad, 10th Gen.

It will get daily home use, and occasional airplane use.

Anyone have a protective case or cover they can recommend?

Mine is old enough that I don’t remember where I got it, and it seems to have no markings indicating who made it

But I went with a white one in the hopes it might help the iPad stay cooler.

Don’t know if it mattered. On sunny days, it still overheats constantly in the plane.

I always just go on amazon and get something minimalist that covers the back and sides, as far as I can tell the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones. I've never broken a phone or ipad.... other people seem very prone to it. IDK what the magic is, I drop it all the time it just never hurts anything.

Mine is old enough that I don’t remember where I got it, and it seems to have no markings indicating who made it

But I went with a white one in the hopes it might help the iPad stay cooler.

Don’t know if it mattered. On sunny days, it still overheats constantly in the plane.

A cover is like a blanket and will prevent it from shedding heat.

You might want to try drilling numerous holes in the back to let it breathe, Apple uses the back as a heat sink,

You might want to try drilling numerous holes in the back to let it breathe, Apple uses the back as a heat sink,
I've noticed a few cases have ventilation or perforation holes on the back side.

I like the idea of just a skirt that goes around the edges to protect the corners in case of a drop, but I don't think I've seen anything like that.

Worth a shot. For anything but a short flight I have some cut down chopsticks that I can slide between the case and iPad to create a small air gap. It may help a little.

I've noticed a few cases have ventilation or perforation holes on the back side.

I like the idea of just a skirt that goes around the edges to protect the corners in case of a drop, but I don't think I've seen anything like that.

Yeah, I like that idea too, get yourself a cheap one and cut the back out of it. Leave enough plastic to maintain its rigidity.

Yeah, I like that idea too, get yourself a cheap one and cut the back out of it. Leave enough plastic to maintain its rigidity.
That’s a good idea.

Seems like a lot of cases use the back as stand. I’d like something that fits around the outer edge that protects the corners, gives you something for a better grip, and prevents sliding around.

So maybe one of this silicone type cases. Then I can look at cutting out most of the back and leave enough to keep the edges pulled tight.

I have wondered about using rubber U channel... or laminating some rubber triangles to make chunky corner protectors... or cutting a notch out of a racquetball...

I have wondered about using rubber U channel... or laminating some rubber triangles to make chunky corner protectors... or cutting a notch out of a racquetball...
That corner touch button and the volume buttons need to be accessible. But I’ve been thinking similar.

I’m probably going to get one of those simple flip covers that doubles as a stand. Some of them have a snap-in type of fit. The camera sticks out about a mm.

Since this will be used likely 99% at home and 1% flying, a flip case will be fine.

I really am digging the larger size for AvareX and FltPlanGo. My old Android tablet was great for a very long time and fit well in the 172 in a RAM suction cup mount. But being able to see a full size approach plate is looking pretty handy. I’m doing an easy night XC next week and I’ll probably file so I can see how we’ll this is going to work.

Last edited:
Back