Insurance for student pilot - post solo - opinions and options?

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
I'm now 4h post solo, and this week I do my first "small xc" from KSYR to KFZY (I.e. from big base airport to small training airport where we've done 90% of training).

I got thinking about student pilot insurance - liability primarily, after we spent part of last lesson doing power outs over farmer fields. The whole "the insurance co owns the plane now" scenario.

I know there is student pilot coverage available. Now that I won't have an instructor with me all the time, I think I might want some of this. Even a relatively minor screw up like hitting a taxiway light or a hard landing might have consequences.

Looking for the best place to buy, and also what sort of things to consider in the policy as a rule of thumb? Price range others are paying? I am a member of EAA, and also going to join AOPA, so if either of those two are the best deal chime in. Thanks everyone!

Edit:

Anyone ever deal with these guys?
https://air-pros.com/resources.php

Last edited:
I'm an idiot when it comes to this sort of stuff, but to provide you with some details and for purposes of comparison, here's the non-owned aircraft" insurance policy, aka "renters" insurance, I bought not too long ago (Jan '15).

I selected $25,000 in liability insurance for damage to the aircraft as my goal was to have a reasonably big pot of money to repair the aircraft in case I did something "stoopid" and the owner's insurance decided to come after me for the damage they paid to fix. Some may think this is too low.

I also added some insurance for bodily injury ($50,000) and property damages ($500,000) as it wasn't too much more.

The second page includes premiums in effect at the time for other limits.

Avemco_1.jpg

Avemco_2.jpg

Last edited:
"Anyone ever deal with these guys?"
https://air-pros.com/resources.php

I have for 4 years now for non-owner renter insurance. Good service. I pay a bit more than the rates above, however, I take out 30K on plane and 100k/1 mil for bodily/property and pay just over $500/year. The key is your net worth. If you kill someone or somehow destroy a nice home, you will be litigated to the highest extent based on what is available to take minus your residence and transportation.

I think you'll find that shopping rates will not save anything substantial based upon same coverage. Do get covered before any more flights and do not rely on your school's or instructor's insurance to cover you in the case of an accident.

Not sure if anyone here can even answer this - but what are good limits for the plane? Several resources suggested just $5K or so for rental planes, just enough to cover the deductible of the flight school policy. I guess I should talk to my school about their coverage.

Renters insurance is what you're looking for, check AOPA or Avemco. If you're flying, lets say a Cherokee or 172, a 20,000$ policy would probably suffice. The premiums shouldn't be too bad either.

Not sure if anyone here can even answer this - but what are good limits for the plane? Several resources suggested just $5K or so for rental planes, just enough to cover the deductible of the flight school policy. I guess I should talk to my school about their coverage.
Depends on your school. In my case, I only got $5000 for hull coverage, since my FBO has a $2500 deductible with a no subrogation clause. Their insurance covers the plane, I cover the deductible with my renter's insurance. I also got Avemco like the poster above. I chose to bump to the second level of liability since it was only $10 more, but twice the coverage.

I talked to the owner last night, he said his policy deductible is only $250, and that all I need is more than that on the plane, and as much liability/property damage as I feel I can afford. So I'm thinking $5K plane (it's nearly the same as $1K and I want to be SURE I'm covered) and $500K property/liability (50K per passenger too which is currently irrelevant). This will only run me about $185/yr through the link I posted, checking with AOPA and EAA as well. Want something in place before next flight, probably Thurs or Fri.

Make sure the owners policy has a non-subrogation clause or you could still be on the hook for the plane if you crash it because of something negligent on your part. HIS (this is key) insurance has a $250 deductible and HE (this is key) is covered. Unless his policy has a non-subrogation clause (they promise not to go after the renter to recoup their loss) then they could sue you for their loss. They may not.

I carry 500,000/100,000 for liability and I carry 40K in hull. The two planes I rent are a 1976 172M high hour plane with a lower time engine and 430W. 1941 J5A. They both would be valued in that area +/- a few thousand dollars. I know neither of the people I rent from have non-subrogation clauses.

ETA: for the limits listed above I pay $532/yr.

I talked to the owner last night, he said his policy deductible is only $250, and that all I need is more than that on the plane, and as much liability/property damage as I feel I can afford. So I'm thinking $5K plane (it's nearly the same as $1K and I want to be SURE I'm covered) and $500K property/liability (50K per passenger too which is currently irrelevant). This will only run me about $185/yr through the link I posted, checking with AOPA and EAA as well. Want something in place before next flight, probably Thurs or Fri.

As someone else has noted, make sure his insurance covers YOU. If you are not listed as a pilot on his policy, it likely does not. Covering him is not the same as covering you. Period. Full stop. And you'll need more than the deductible if the insurance company makes him whole and then subrogates against you.

What the last two said.

Also a 5k policy on the airplane is peanuts IMHO. I'd go with 15k-20k minimum.

If the school doesn't require it, I wouldn't bother.

Never paid for insurance on anything I ever rented.

I'll ask him to get me a copy of his policy. He seemed pretty standard about his responses but if he hasn't had a claim he may not know for real. At any rate, having 5K and 500K liability is better than nothing, which is what I had yesterday :)

Thanks for all the information, I'm sure if I feel I need to I can bump up the coverage.

Independently wealthy?

No, just not scared of my own shadow, and I know life will always have risks, I mitigate some and make choices based on the facts, I don't always default to the same (must insure EVVVVVERYTHNG) answer.

If the plane chits the bed, that's going to be on them, and I'll take my chances with my skills.

Besides if I was $$$ I'd be a bigger target, gotta know your radar profile.

Back