Instrumental performance of Louie Louie banned...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
...because the lyrics no-one can understand are supposedly naughty...

Never mind the band isn't gonna sing it...

We live in absuridstan.

http://wbal.com/stories/anmviewer.asp?a=30831

Absurd...oops I mean WBAL said:
"Louie Louie" Banned From Parade
Thursday, May 05, 2005
The Associated Press

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BENTON HARBOR, Mich. (AP) - A Michigan middle school's marching band has been ordered not to perform "Louie Louie" in a parade this weekend.

The Benton Harbor school superintendent sent a letter to parents saying the song's allegedly raunchy lyrics makes it inappropriate -- even though the marching band wasn't going to sing it.

She says she'll rethink her decision if most parents support their children playing the song.

Richard Berry wrote "Louie Louie" in 1956. It's one of the most recorded songs in history. The best-known version was a hit in 1963 for the Kingsmen.

But exactly what it's about remains a topic of debate.

The F-B-I spent two years investigating the lyrics before declaring them "unintelligible."

[/font]

Yeah real horrible lyrics:

Louie Louie, me gotta go.
A fine little girl, she wait for me.
Me catch the ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone.
I never think I'll make it home.

Louie Louie, me gotta go .

Three nights and days we sailed the sea.
Me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there.
I smell the rose in her hair.

Me see Jamaican moon above.
It won't be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.

When I was a kid America was free.

Heck, I went to a Catholic school and we played it in band.

Gee Ed; what simple lyrics--where'd they come from :)

Wonder why the Feds spent so much time on those lyrics ;)

Dave

The superintendent reversed herself, and the performance will go on as scheduled. A majority of band parents told her that they approve of the song. (Apparently, it was ONE parent who complained.)

I wrote her an e-mail - I hope it helped!

Ozzy get's sued all the time when kids commit suicide. The parents see the title of the song "Suicide Solution" & say this it causes kids to get the idea to kill themselves. The Song was actully written by Ozzy when he found out about about the death of his friend Bon Scott,the lead singer for AC/DC,
who died after drinking heavily one winter's night and passing out in his car. The song denounces drinking.

And AC/DC didn't get thair name from being Bi-Sexual (As also rumored) The were playing & their amp cord came loose. When they went to put it back into the socket, they noticed the tag on the amp that said AC/DC......

Suicide Solution

Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker
Suicide is slow with liquor
Take a bottle and drown your sorrows
Then it floods away tomorrows

Evil thoughts and evil doings
Cold, alone you hang in ruins
Thought that you'd escape the reaper
You can't escape the Master Keeper

'Cause you feel like you're living a lie
Such a shame who's to blame and you're wondering why
Then you ask from your cask us there life after birth
What you sow can mean Hell on this earth

Now you live inside a bottle
The reaper's traveling at full throttle
It's catching you but you don't see
The reaper is you and the reaper is me

Breaking laws, knocking doors
But there's no one at home
Made your bed, rest your head
But you lie there and moan
Where to hide, Suicide is the only way out
Don't you know what it's really about

Last edited:
Eamon said:
Ozzy get's sued all the time when kids commit suicide. The parents see the title of the song "Suicide Solution" & say this it causes kids to get the idea to kill themselves. The Song was actully written by Ozzy when he found out about about the death of his friend Bon Scott,the lead singer for AC/DC,
who died after drinking heavily one winter's night and passing out in his car. The song denounces drinking.

snip

I'm surprised he gets sued for that one, and not for "Close Your Eyes Forever" he sang with Lita Ford. A much better song, too.

This stuff kills me, all comes back to the prevailing sentiment nowadays that someone else is at fault for every bad thing or misdeed we do. Ah, to go back to my childhood when, if YOU did something wrong, YOU were held resposible, not the TV show you had watched, not the music you had listened to. And in the court of my Father, you were guilty until proven innocent, and his judgement cometh right early. Didn't seem to hurt me none, and he never had to call in the Supernanny.

I'll never forget the scene in "Animal House" when they enter the frat party and the band is playing "Louie, Louie". I was a Freshman in college when that movie came out and never laughed so hard in my life. After that we went to a lot of Toga parties. Now when I hear "Toga", I think Saratoga instead. Things change. :)

Eamon said:
Ozzy get's sued all the time when kids commit suicide.....

The name of theme song to the TV show "M*A*S*H" is "Suicide is Painless" which comes from the movie. The song is sung in the movie by a young orderly at a dinner for the dentist....well, you know the plot.

Suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please

(or something like that)

I wonder how many people attempted suicide after watching the movie because of the song.

Anthony said:
I'll never forget the scene in "Animal House" when they enter the frat party and the band is playing "Louie, Louie".

Anthony,

Did you listen to 'MMR in the mid to late 80's? Just prior to Howard Stern on 'YSP.

Len

Wasn't the original uproar on lyrics really because it involved a white/black relationship ? These arn't the lyrics I'm familiar with.

N2212R said:
Yeah real horrible lyrics:

A fine little girl, she wait for me.
Me catch the ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone.
I never think I'll make it home.

Louie Louie, me gotta go .

Three nights and days we sailed the sea.
Me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there.
I smell the rose in her hair.

Me see Jamaican moon above.
It won't be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.

Carol said:
The name of theme song to the TV show "M*A*S*H" is "Suicide is Painless" which comes from the movie. The song is sung in the movie by a young orderly at a dinner for the dentist....well, you know the plot.

Suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please

(or something like that)

I wonder how many people attempted suicide after watching the movie because of the song.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jay-jay-johanson/70017.html Link to Theme From Mash lyrics.

That is a great, powerful song. It brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it with the lyrics (Which was after I watched the TV show 500 times). I bet if more people knew the Title (Instead of "The Theme From Mash") or the lyrics, there would be more law suits :(

Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks/Jacques Brel ) was another song thought to be about Suicide, but it was written by French Poet/Musician Jacques Brel. He wrote it while he was losing a battel with cancer. It was later translated to english and rearranged by Terry Jacks. Jacques Brel was to France what Bob Dylan is to us. Here is a small snip from one of his songs

Don't leave me!

I will give you
pearls of rain
come from countries
where it never rains.
I will dig up the earth
even in death
to cover your body
with gold and with light.
I will make a kingdom
where love shall be king
where love shall be law