Inside Passage To Alaska

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Just got back from a 4 day trip to Alaska via the coastal route. Words or pictures cannot describe the utter raw beauty of the area. My Alaska trip was a dream come true for me, and knocked off #49 of the states. :D

The weather is always an issue going into Canada and Alaska as XM weather does not work there reliably. So you have to rely on good ol pilotage and experience.

The trip up was under 1,000 - 2500' ceilings, but over the water it is easy traveling for me. They don't put towers in the water, and there are good places to divert to in Canada if weather or fuel is an issue, or just reverse course.

The trip back was under sever clear. Simply amazing. :yes:

I wanted to make it non stop from Washington to Alaska so mission accomplished twice! An easy task for the RV-10. :D :eek:

The coast and inside passage are simply beautiful. Water falls, mountains, ocean, surf, tidal flows, fishing boats, whales. Past Ketchikan the scenery really gets pretty around Juneau and north. I flew over glaciers, and snow packed mountains melting in June's warm days.

On the way back after stopping at Bozeman for the night I decided to check out Yellow Stone also!

Approx 4,500 miles in 4 days. 32.5 hours on the Hobbs.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited:
That is one on my bucket list! Looking forward to pics!!

-VanDy

Last edited:
That's a good route to beat the heat for a few days if you like to fly!

How many miles between Washington and Alaska. What was the flight time.

Tell us you didn't wish your RV was on Amphibs when you were downing the schooners on the inlet....

How many miles between Washington and Alaska. What was the flight time.

Straight line is 530 Nm. My flight time was 4 hrs, 15min. I throttled way back to conserve and to enjoy the view. No wonder Tom lives there!

I had 18 gallons left in the plane when I landed. Still had 1.5 hours of flight time. :D

Last edited:
Wow, quite a trip! Gotta do it... great pics. Thanx

Chatham Strait, 1999, from 3,500 msl :)

Attachments

• Chatham.jpg
    Chatham.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 31
No wonder Tom lives there!

when you really want to fly Alaska, do your flight but add Skagway, do the train ride, then fly to Carcross (top of white pass) then to White horse, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, and start south at Steward, and down the coast.

I suggest you take two weeks.

I missed the train that runs from near Whitehorse to Skagway.
I did go through Whitehorse, Northway, Gulkana, Anchorage, Homer, Talketna, Fairbanks and Tok. Talketna to Fairbanks goes through Danali and Windy Pass.
Plus Watson Lake and a few other places in Canada.

I'm already planning a return trip. The local flight school thinks we should organize a tour, much like what CAOPA offers.

Last edited:
My parents live in Port Angeles and my sister lives in Alaska....If I can pull off a plane purchase by the end of the year as planned this will be a trip I WILL be doing!

Keep us all posted if a formal trip materializes. Sounds like a blast!

Stunning!

After having had a few days to pause and reflect, I still cannot believe I did it. This was the absolute most rewarding things I have done in aviation besides solo. :yes:

I'm going to make this an annual trip for myself. There is something about the solitude that I really enjoy. I am going to have my wife fly up commercially and I'll meet here there. Then we can take day trips in the plane.

Last edited:
Congrats on the amazing trip! That'll teach me to not check this board frequently enough... I miss the chance to meet Alaska adventurers!

I haven't yet been brave enough to attempt the inside passage route, because that coastal weather can be so unpredictable. But last week was one of the most amazing weather weeks ever in Alaska, all over the state. ("Amazing" as in "sunny and gorgeous"! And also HOT, that is, hotter than we're used to.)

Very nice work on that flight! Drop me a line next year.

--Kath

Back