I'm having way too much fun putting together my CFI notebook...complete with original illustrations.

At first glance I thought we were talking Toyota i.e. Cressida, Corolla, Camry, Corona, Celica, Carina, Century, Celsior, Coriolis, ...

Breaking it down Barney-style is so often better than going Ph.D on them. Tell them just what they need to know, not everything you know.

I agree, but the guy who is "teaching" me my CFI rating...said, "explain it like I am explaining it to a kid." So that's what he is going to get.
I don't know why people have to be so negative. This wouldn't work for me, but I gave you a like for the effort, which clearly shows a level of understanding and creativity.

My idea is to create a three-tier subscription plan for my CFI curriculum. Tier 1 offers a high level training course to include trigonometry and calculus equations. As well as a deep dive into the theoretical and practical understanding of aerodynamics. If the student doesn't understand the information at that tier, I will whip out the 2nd level tier to include more layman's terms and piecemeal of the information. Finally, if all else fails, or if the student wants it from the start, they will then be introduced to the 3rd tier curriculum where I will produce this work of art and explain flying to them like Steve from Blue's Clues.

My idea is to create a three-tier subscription plan for my CFI curriculum. Tier 1 offers a high level training course to include trigonometry and calculus equations. As well as a deep dive into the theoretical and practical understanding of aerodynamics. If the student doesn't understand the information at that tier, I will whip out the 2nd level tier to include more layman's terms and piecemeal of the information. Finally, if all else fails, or if the student wants it from the start, they will then be introduced to the 3rd tier curriculum where I will produce this work of art and explain flying to them like Steve from Blue's Clues.
Start simple and get more complex if it’s needed and the student has demonstrated the ability to understand and use it.

Everyone starts in Tier 1, then the price goes up as student's bail from Tier 1 to Tier 2, and then to Tier 3?

Crafty...

I like your work. It complies with some of the most basic tenets of instruction, which are 1) start at a basic level and expand from there, and 2) teach in a manner which works for your client. Sure, some people may not prefer cutesy drawings, but when I look at the amount of people who use miniature cutesy drawings (you know, like emojis) JUST LIKE THOSE in everyday communications, I think that number is pretty small. So I think your artwork is fitting right in. Heck, my teenage daughter can construct a whole text message consisting solely of emojis, so she would have no trouble identifying with your materials.

You always have to adapt to your students. Some may learn well with cartoony pictures (ever seen an Army Field Manual? Some of them are comprised almost solely of cartoons. No lie.) Others may prefer videos, some will prefer written words, some need you to wave your hands around, some would like physical models (I made little construction-paper Class C and D airspace models, to sectional scale, once), and I've used sidewalk chalk to draw things out on many occasions. You do what you need to do.

When your student is ready for, or just wants, a higher level of understanding, you need to be able to provide that or refer them to another product/video/book/etc. But what you have now is a great starter for the concepts it works for.

And your artwork is far better than mine ever has been.

At first glance I thought we were talking Toyota i.e. Cressida, Corolla, Camry, Corona, Celica, Carina, Century, Celsior, Coriolis, ...
The Corolla illusion is a type of spatial disorientation that can occur when a pilot thinks that he will be able to afford a Toyota car before he signs with a major airline.

I don't know why people have to be so negative. This wouldn't work for me, but I gave you a like for the effort, which clearly shows a level of understanding and creativity.

Need to remember the CFI notebook is for the CFI, or maybe more appropriately the CFI applicant.
Building the CFI notebook is a great method for the CFI applicant to make sure they understand and can teach the topics. So whatever helps the CFI applicant learn/remember the subject/lesson. This is why just buying or copying a pre-made CFI notebook really doesn't help much.

Once you have your CFI you probably will only occasionally (if ever) refer your CFI notebook. You wrote it, you should know what is in it. Which is mostly what is tested during the CFI Oral Exam. You will find the Examiner will probably only let you reference the notebook for a few topics, if any. It can be a reminder especially of topics you don't regularly teach. But even then you should probably continue to update it as you will find that your lesson plans will (should) evolve over time.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

This is a great exercise. Most people cut and paste stuff. I think you'll have a more solid understanding and retention doing it this way by hand.

Back