Idaho Backcountry

That pretty country when its green, turns brown about this time of year.

I always enjoy your posts/pictures/stories... that Sport Cub, in the PNW, is about as perfect as it can get.

P.S. - Was the train photographer waving at you?
Thanks for the kind words. No, unlikely he even knew I was there -- I was at 1,000' AGL and halfway across the river. He was probably waving at 4449's engineer and caretaker, Doyle McCormack, and others on the train.

BTW, Doyle and 4449 are prominently featured in the 1987 Kirk Douglas / Burt Lancaster film Tough Guys.

Some great shots, thanks! Would have been perfect had you run into Bob Bement while there!

A question from someone who knows very little about canyon flying. It looks as if you're centered in the canyon, rather than being along one side. Is that perception correct and, if so, why? I seem to recall from reading Imeson that you should fly close to one side of the canyon to maximize the space to turn around. Comments?

Some great shots, thanks! Would have been perfect had you run into Bob Bement while there!
That would have been great!

It looks as if you're centered in the canyon, rather than being along one side. Is that perception correct and, if so, why? I seem to recall from reading Imeson that you should fly close to one side of the canyon to maximize the space to turn around. Comments?
Guilty as charged, for the most part -- just being lazy. But I concentrated on being on the right-hand side of the canyon as I got way down low on the approach to Mackay Bar, where it was really narrow.

Those are great pictures. Looks like fun!

A question from someone who knows very little about canyon flying. It looks as if you're centered in the canyon, rather than being along one side. Is that perception correct and, if so, why? I seem to recall from reading Imeson that you should fly close to one side of the canyon to maximize the space to turn around. Comments?

With the cub he had room to go either way.

Drool. When I win the lottery, there's definitely going to be a vacation home in Idaho, complete with an A1C on bushwheels around back...

Drool. When I win the lottery, there's definitely going to be a vacation home in Idaho, complete with an A1C on bushwheels around back...

Do it now, just in case ya die before you win the lottery or retire.

Do it now, just in case ya die before you win the lottery or retire.

I'd love to... But that'd mean getting a job out there that'd be able to pay for such things right now. Lottery is probably more reliable. :frown2:

A friend died of cancer last week. He talked non-stop about the Ham Radio contest station he was going to move back to Nebraska and build.

It's not built, and he's gone. We're talkin' a few chunks of Rohn 45, some antennas, beer for the work party after the climbing is done with, a mixer load of concrete, and he already had the radios and the property... His dream was attainable.

If you're going to do it, start now. Life is shorter than we think.

RIP Dennis.

Back