HIMS Testing

momofboysanddogs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Momofboysanddogs
I could really use some help. My son is a student needing to get his airman medical certification - he failed his AME because of ADHD, we were advised to go for a HIMS Neuro test. and received the letter from the FAA For the standard track. It's very overwhelming, we have that appointment set up for July but i am trying to get the FAA on the phone in OK to request an extension for him. I also need to send his medical records in to the FAA. Our AME is not very helpful so i am doing this on my own, can anyone let me know if i need to email them or mail them hard copies with his PI # on all paperwork, and have the address either standard mail or email that i am to use for this. Also, can someone tell me an example of the personal statement letter with the ADHD bullet points included on how they wrote it. i am spending a lot of money for my son to live his dream, which i have no issue doing, and am willing to go to the edge of the earth to watch him live his dream. He has been flying, and currently has 15 hours and does not wish to be a Pilot in the future he doesn't think but could still change is mind. he is more about the engines and mechanic's portion. we are super proud of him. he is off all medication with no symptoms. he is doing fantastic we just need help to do the next steps.

We are running a special this week, please check out these two threads:

My son is a student needing to get his airman medical certification - he failed his AME because of ADHD
Bummer, he can now no longer fly under sport pilot rules until he can pass a medical.
he is off all medication with no symptoms
That's good.
he is more about the engines and mechanic's portion
How old is your son? He could work on his A&P, and in four short years, re-apply for a medical using the FAA fast track evaluation.

Someone will be along shortly with answers to your other questions.

Welcome to PoA and good luck!

I could really use some help. My son is a student needing to get his airman medical certification - he failed his AME because of ADHD, we were advised to go for a HIMS Neuro test. and received the letter from the FAA For the standard track. It's very overwhelming, we have that appointment set up for July but i am trying to get the FAA on the phone in OK to request an extension for him. I also need to send his medical records in to the FAA. Our AME is not very helpful so i am doing this on my own, can anyone let me know if i need to email them or mail them hard copies with his PI # on all paperwork, and have the address either standard mail or email that i am to use for this. Also, can someone tell me an example of the personal statement letter with the ADHD bullet points included on how they wrote it. i am spending a lot of money for my son to live his dream, which i have no issue doing, and am willing to go to the edge of the earth to watch him live his dream. He has been flying, and currently has 15 hours and does not wish to be a Pilot in the future he doesn't think but could still change is mind. he is more about the engines and mechanic's portion. we are super proud of him. he is off all medication with no symptoms. he is doing fantastic we just need help to do the next steps.
You need a new AME. If he's not helping you through this process, it's not going to get any easier.

How old is your son, and why are you doing all of this for him if he doesn't want to be a pilot in the future?

I'm That Mom who posted on this forum two days ago for very similar reasons. I don't have advice to give, except to say that there are generous people on this site who are willing to give counsel. I'm sending positive vibes to you and your son!

There’s a difference between a deferral, a denial, and a failure. Your son has not ‘failed’ a medical application.

I’m not going to address anything else.

1. Your AME can easily get an extension with a simple email to the regional office. Otherwise, you can call and get the extension. Also, I try to tell my airmen not to worry so much about the deadline. If you bust the deadline, you will receive a 'failure to provide' (FTP) letter, but it just means the FAA will stop sending you any more correspondences until you get them what they requested. Other than that there really isn't any other negative effects to the process.

2. See here for guidance on the personal statement: https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/media/ADHD_personal_statement.pdf
I usually provide my patients with a word document template I created.

Back