Having Kids as Friends...

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
...well, not kids as in little kids but rather "kids" relatively speaking to this 54 year-old.

Until a few months ago I had 250 text messages per month and seldom went over 100. 150 on the outside.

Then, in June, my texting activity increased and I bumped it to 1000 (the next step up) and thought to myself, "hell, I'll never come close to blowing thru that".

Yesterday was the last day of my billing cycle. The screenshot from last night about 7pm:

attachment.php

Hi, Andrew!

:yes:

:cheerswine:

:goofy:

(as an aside...gotta LOVE the unlimited data plan!!!!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-13-19-11-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-13-19-11-48.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I'm ten years younger same thing happened to me. Figured the text before talk folks are mid thirties and younger. Course it is contagious.

90% of my business communications is by text. I like it that way as I have evidence of what was said, plus I don't need to take notes.

I am not gonna lie, the title of this thread had my Michael Jackson alert at defcon: Macaulay Culkin.

He too must get in line behind Ghery and EdFred...

Deafness - I prefer texting.

I'm virtually deaf. Assuming the other person can put a thought into type, there is no miscommunication.

Restaurants are horrible.

Last edited:
I'm a txter. can't stand yapping on the phone. dang, I even txt'd my mom today, that was kinda weird but she finally caved in to smartphones and now txts, is on facebook, etc.... it's a crazy world but an awesome one at times.

People now text each other ,while in the same room. Makes a meeting go much smoother. Like to text at air shows,find the meeting places and times and such.

...well, not kids as in little kids but rather "kids" relatively speaking to this 54 year-old.

Until a few months ago I had 250 text messages per month and seldom went over 100. 150 on the outside.

Then, in June, my texting activity increased and I bumped it to 1000 (the next step up) and thought to myself, "hell, I'll never come close to blowing thru that".

Yesterday was the last day of my billing cycle. The screenshot from last night about 7pm:

attachment.php

Hi, Andrew!

:yes:

:cheerswine:

:goofy:

(as an aside...gotta LOVE the unlimited data plan!!!!)

I use to top out at several thousand per month before I got an iPhone. Now I barely break 2000 "recorded".

I remember my mother getting a call saying our bill would be something like $900 because of my texts. That was right after my dad telling me that he would kill me if our bill was $5000 like his coworkers. :hairraise:

I use to top out at several thousand per month before I got an iPhone. Now I barely break 2000 "recorded".

I remember my mother getting a call saying our bill would be something like $900 because of my texts. That was right after my dad telling me that he would kill me if our bill was $5000 like his coworkers. :hairraise:

:confused: I pay $60 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data, and that includes data roaming and free texts in a bunch of countries. T-Mobile is a great carrier.

:confused: I pay $60 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data, and that includes data roaming and free texts in a bunch of countries. T-Mobile is a great carrier.

They are great but this fizzle out around 2000 MSL
AT&T seems to reach higher but their packages suck.

That was sometime during 9th or 10th grade back when unlimited plans did not exist.

I have a client who won't use text messaging, because "they cost too much."

Funny. I'm younger and much prefer calling over texting.

I have a love / hate relationship with text. When I deal with tenants I love it because I can keep a record of everything. It's easy to go back a month or two later and say 'here is where you texted me that you had the pool filter cleaned, and now you are complaining again' WTF?

When I deal with family I hate it because it doesn't have the texture and personal messaging feel I want to maintain with my kids. However they like text a lot more than me, so I have a lot of incoming text from them, and a lot of outgoing calls from me. Asymmetrical warfare!

I have yet to hit enough texts in a month to, at $0.20 per, hit the bottom tier of the "plans"

Snail Mail = My lawyers have reviewed this

Email (business) = Please delete this immediately
Email (person you know) = Hey, get back in a day or two...whatever.

Text = Hey, got a sec?

Phone (Family) = Hey, got a sec?
Phone (Friend) = This is URGENT!!! Drop everything!
Phone (Business) = Please send to voice mail and never ever check it.

Doorbell = Better not be selling religion...hope it's FedEx...

I have completely shut of texting on one of my phones.... never felt like paying the extra $ per month (it's a grandfathered plan with unlimited data) and the cost of the spam messages were eating me alive. I did move the other phone to unlimited talk/text/2GB of data.

I understand his point...

I don't like texting. It's too "interrupt driven" for me.

If somebody calls me, and I don't want to talk to them right then, I can send them to voicemail.

If somebody emails me, I can respond later at my leisure.

With texting, I feel like I must respond right then and there, and I hate that. I'm the same way with IM at work, so I usually cancel my Lync login when I bring my laptop up. I tell people I'm not much for texting or IM, and to please email me if it's non-urgent, or try calling me if it's urgent and I'll respond if I can.

I think my aversion to interrupt-driven communications stems from when I was kid, when family would call the house, my Mom would inevitably stick me on the phone to have to yak with a relative for an hour or more, and I hated it.

What's that bill out at anyway?

1/4 hr read text: $160
1/4 hr research question: $160
1/4 hr reply "yes" to text question: $160

:lol::lol::lol:

j/k....

Several years ago when my daughter was still in high school I received a text message from her asking how close she was to the limit. I signed-up for the unlimited texting plan soon after.

People now text each other ,while in the same room. Makes a meeting go much smoother. Like to text at air shows,find the meeting places and times and such.

I do that, but mainly to mock the people that are in charge of the meeting.

As far as the cost goes, I remember reading an article a while back that figured out the cost of sending a text message over your data plan vs. what the cell phone companies charge, and it was absolutely ridiculous. I can't find it right now, but I might keep searching for it later, depends on my motivation.

I prefer text and default to text as much as possible. I will admit I can sometimes get annoyed if someone calls me when they just wanted to tell me something simple they could have texted.

I would also much rather communicate on the internet over text and don't enjoy voice chat or video calls at all.

I think my preference for text as a form of communication comes from how I had very very little social interaction with kids my age when I was growing up and spent most of my time learning and communicating on the internet.

Pretty much nobody is willing to debate anything with me over text anymore outside of this forum. In my day I could hit 200 wpm typing which is faster than most people read from a computer, so they would always get frustrated as they had no time to type anything back :)

200 wpm is smoking, take up the piano

I failed keyboarding class in high school because I do not press a few of the keys with the correct fingers. I taught myself how to type by what worked well for me and I wasn't about to change that since I had the highest speed that teacher ever clocked. I don't think she was too happy that I absolutely blew her away in multiple speed challenges she setup against me.

I prefer text and default to text as much as possible. I will admit I can sometimes get annoyed if someone calls me when they just wanted to tell me something simple they could have texted.

I would also much rather communicate on the internet over text and don't enjoy voice chat or video calls at all.

I think my preference for text as a form of communication comes from how I had very very little social interaction with kids my age when I was growing up and spent most of my time learning and communicating on the internet.

Pretty much nobody is willing to debate anything with me over text anymore outside of this forum. In my day I could hit 200 wpm typing which is faster than most people read from a computer, so they would always get frustrated as they had no time to type anything back :)

Little phone keyboards are annoying. However, the speech to text on my phone works really well.

Personally, I'd rather receive a text or email than have to pick up the voice call when it comes in. I'd rather answer on my terms.

Text messages don't especially bother me, but about three-quarters of the texts I receive are pointless. Still, I figure it's better to receive pointless texts than pointless phone calls.

Most of my texts fall into one of the following groups:

• I have one client who insists on texting me pictures for his Web site, which I keep asking him not to do because they come through over-compressed. He always says okay, but he keeps texting me pictures.
  • My daughter texts me from the West Coast several times a week to say hello, which is okay, but I'd rather she called.
  • EdFred and I BBM each other once in a while. Being possibly the last two BBM users on the planet, we're kind of like the guardians of the platform.
  • Some of my friends and I who are really into cooking text pictures of the meals we prepare back and forth. Then we have group text discussions about the food. Then we have arguments about food, which lead to gatherings where we try to impress each other with our finest recipes. Life is good.
  • My older goddaughter sends me about a dozen texts every day, most of which either ask "wcd" or implore me to teach her to drive stick during the next school break.
  • Family members often text me asking for loans. I look much wealthier than I am.
  • Once in a while I get a text from the ex, at which time I change my phone number.

I've never added up the text messages because I have unlimited service, and therefore don't really care enough to add them up. I get quite a few, though.

Rich

Last edited:
My 16 YO daughter routinely hits 6K-8K msgs per month. ATT has to be thrilled they don't send us a paper bill anymore.

I failed keyboarding class in high school because I do not press a few of the keys with the correct fingers. I taught myself how to type by what worked well for me and I wasn't about to change that since I had the highest speed that teacher ever clocked. I don't think she was too happy that I absolutely blew her away in multiple speed challenges she setup against me.

I am the same way. I actually peck at the keys with different fingers. My keyboarding teacher hated me. It's a habit I learned from my father. My father can type insanely quick by pecking. He types that way because he learned to type during computer programming classes, which used punch cards.

Back