Has anyone been to Oceano

Luvrv8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KCMA flyer
I am planning a flight to Oceano in central Ca tomorrow, anyone have any insight to the airport or food in the area? I plan to eat at the converted railroad cars turned 50's dinner.

Prevailing winds favor RWY 29. This time of year is best so doubtful the marine layer will come into play. L52 has been under attack from unruly neighbors for years so please be aware of your noise signature.

Don't know how proficient you are for short field operations. Oceano is not that short but the sight picture on a 1st time arrival can be deceiving.

Finns is better than the RR diner. If you have time walk the beach up to Pismo Pier and eat at Steamers or Ports O Call. (over looking the beach)

Sea Venture has a fabulous Sunday brunch.

Last edited:
They have bicycles for loan. Check their web site or friends of Oceano, or something like that.

There are bicycles to rent. Also, about a 1/4 sm south of the airport are stables to rent horses. You may ride on the beach.

http://www.friendsofoceanoairport.com/

EDIT: Correction about the bicycles. Friends have bicycles for use. They ask a donation. When I said there are bicycles for rent I was thinking of the myriad of places in Pismo which is just up the beach or at the street entrance to the sand highway--which is pretty much under the departure path for RWY 29.

Last edited:
Had a nice flight there today. You know the flight will be good when you call weather and the only thing they say is parachute jumpers over Lompoc, winds aloft light, no real reading and call if you find any winds up there although we have not had any in the past 5 days. I was a bit worried when I was pre flighting my plane in Oceano and a guy fired up his Stearman, then he proceded to climb out of it, load up 2 passengers then climbed back in, all why the engine was running. I asked my passenger to yell if his plane started to move. On the way back I noticed my friend just taking off from Santa Maria in his Fairchild PT-19. I loved to see that plane flying as I help in the restoration of it. I would say this airport is worth visiting and I will soon again.

"That guy" in his bulldog Stearman was John. Ex-AF, about 8,000 hours and a helluva a good story teller...some he can't tell you. Real nice guy. He knows that plane inside and out.

I am not saying anything bad about him, I just was a little uneasy with a running airplane without chauks or a person at the controls pointed at me, my plane and my passenger. I am sure he has forgotten more then I will ever know but I have seen people walk into tail rotors in the ARMY, so unmaned props ant rotors make me nervious. I do have a friend who has actually TBO'd 3 engines in his stearman, he has told me when I flew with him the brakes were not to great in them. Again, not trying to cause drama and I do hope to have a chance to meet him.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. And after reading your reply I see how it could seem I was saying it can't happen to him. Certainly I did not mean to imply that.

Actually, I was going to tell you about him in case you had a chance to meet. Well, something to look forward to for next time.

Back