HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, POA!

I probably heard more gunfire in my rural neighborhood last night than was heard in the battle of Yorktown...

But at least we are free to own firearms.

Happy 4th my American friends!
Except for @Chrisgoesflying , of course. Aren't you Canadians ever going to cast off the tyrannous yoke of the British crown?
We had the Canadian 4th of July on the 1st of July. Not sure what we celebrated though since we still put king and queen heads on the money. I don't think Canada will shed the crown but one day, I'll join y'all south of the border.

And my first as a US citizen
Congrats. Hopefully I'll be able to say that a few years down the road.

Unfortunately we’re full, and we have already exceeded our Canadian quota for at least the next decade.

Florida is just a place to visit from time to time. Too crowded and too many "Florida man" stories lol. Texas has space for us I heard and since I used to live there, I don't think they mind having me back (hopefully).

Texas has space for us I heard and since I used to live there, I don't think they mind having me back (hopefully).
Might want to visit before making up yore mind to move. Texas is not what it used to be. I grew up there in the 60s and 70s, a great time and place to grow up. By the early 90s I had enough. I sold my last property in Tx 13 years ago. I still have lots of friends there, but they all complain that it ain't what it used to be.

So maybe that old saying is true, you can't go home...

I got this from a friend in England a few years ago.

View attachment 130992
Spent some time reading history today and this is on the nose.
For the first year of war after Lexington-Concord in 1775, nobody was willing to publicly state we were independent of the crown, because that was treason punishable by death. Many people still hoped for reconciliation.
In early 1776, political maneuvers led to 12 of the 13 colonial assemblies authorizing their delegates to support independence.
On July 2nd 1776 the delegates of Continental Congress voted in favor of independence. 2 days later they voted to publicly declare this, using the text drafted by Thomas Jefferson.
In doing so, they were literally committing treason as defined by the laws of Great Britain.
But as the King found out, a law is only a law if you can enforce it.

Last edited:
I think the King found the cost of enforcement was more than he was willing to expend.

One of my best friends is a Great great.....grandson of a Hessian hired soldier who opted to take his pay, and stay here when his term ran out. Doubt that he was a seriously dedicated soldier for the King.

People defending their own homes and businesses are much more motivated than hirelings, who have a bias, desiring to return home alive to their families.

Might want to visit before making up yore mind to move. Texas is not what it used to be. I grew up there in the 60s and 70s, a great time and place to grow up. By the early 90s I had enough. I sold my last property in Tx 13 years ago. I still have lots of friends there, but they all complain that it ain't what it used to be.

So maybe that old saying is true, you can't go home...

I lived there in 2006 - 2008, then again briefly in 2018 and visited in between. Plus, I know a lot of people in Texas. I don't know how it was in the 60s, 70s (wasn't even born) or 90s (still used diapers) but compared to Germany or even Canada, Texas isn't all that bad. I've been to 45 out of the 50 states (missing Idaho, Colorado, Oregon, Alaska and Hawaii) - I wouldn't know which other state has the edge over Texas to be honest, at least in my opinion.

I think the King found the cost of enforcement was more than he was willing to expend.

One of my best friends is a Great great.....grandson of a Hessian hired soldier who opted to take his pay, and stay here when his term ran out. Doubt that he was a seriously dedicated soldier for the King.

People defending their own homes and businesses are much more motivated than hirelings, who have a bias, desiring to return home alive to their families.

All true, but I suspect King George also underestimated the capabilities of the Americans. While there were certainly ordinary farmers and shopkeepers fighting, many of the American regulars were former redcoat soldiers and officers. Washington, for example, served on the British side as a Lt Col during the French & Indian War. The Brits were up against strategists and tacticians who had served among them, who knew the land and terrain, and who had a much shorter supply train.

One example to illustrate the point - Remember that Britain was a ferocious sea power at the time of the American Revolution, and the Americans barely had any navy at all. Despite this, the famous sea battle between the Bonhomme Richard and the Serapis was brutal, with both sides determined to fight to the death. When the Americans finally forced the surrender of the British ship Serapis, their own ship was so badly damaged and sinking that they had to abandon the winning vessel. After the long and bloody battle ended, John Paul Jones and Richard Pearson (captain of the Serapis) spoke on the ship's deck and Pearson asked Jones the nationality of his crew. "Americans," Jones replied. "Aye, then it was diamond cut diamond," said Pearson, referring to the fighting spirit and abilities of both sides.

In early 1776, political maneuvers led to 12 of the 13 colonial assemblies authorizing their delegates to support independence.
On July 2nd 1776 the delegates of Continental Congress voted in favor of independence. 2 days later they voted to publicly declare this, using the text drafted by Thomas Jefferson.

There was one British colony in today's CONUS that did not rebel against the crown. Know what it was? (No fair googling.)

All true, but I suspect King George also underestimated the capabilities of the Americans. While there were certainly ordinary farmers and shopkeepers fighting, many of the American regulars were former redcoat soldiers and officers. Washington, for example, served on the British side as a Lt Col during the French & Indian War. The Brits were up against strategists and tacticians who had served among them, who knew the land and terrain, and who had a much shorter supply train.

In the words of the commander of the British relief force that saved the day at Lexington-Concord:
During the whole affair the Rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance & resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into any regular body. Indeed, they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians & Canadians, & this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting.

Back