Happy 104th Birthday

Wish I could. Just canceled due to low ceilings and icing.

Today is also the 103.9th birthday of the first weather related canceled flight ;)

another reason for me to celebrate dec. 17th - i got my initial CFI temporary signed at about 3 in the afternoon in 2003.

If you get a chance go thru the Wright bicycle shop in Dayton, Oh. It is time well spent. We got there early in the morning and got a one on one session from the ranger on duty. He loved his work and was good at it.

Attachments

• Wright Cycle Shop, Dayton Oh..jpg
    Wright Cycle Shop, Dayton Oh..jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 1
What instrument are you learning? Is it the noble and melodic banjo? ;)

Funny. It's those silly things in the panel that let you fly and navigate from point A to point B without seeing where you're going. And my CFII had to rub it in about how beautiful the view was this evening, too. At least when we weren't in actual or flying through snow. :rolleyes: He didn't seem too excited, so I guess we didn't pick up too much ice in the clouds (only .2 hrs actual, anyway). We were at 4200 MSL and my estimate from the winds aloft forecast was that the freezing level was around 1500 MSL (backed up by the airmet).

Nice thing about flying in the evening - SEA approach isn't busy and can accommodate requests. Filed OLM to PWT via OLM, V176, CARRO, got YELM 2 departure, cleared as filed. Actually flew YELM 2, then radar vectors to the LOC 19 approach at PWT. Shot the missed, picked the clearance my CFII had filed back to OLM. Amended that to fly out the 201 radial of the OLM VOR to do the DME arc to the VOR/DME Rwy 35 approach to circle to land on 17. Well and truely VFR by the time we got down to pattern altitude. Followed another plane on final and went around when he couldn't find an exit off the runway. All the taxiways and cross runway are only marked by reflectors on the GA side of OLM, so I could understand his problem. We just went around the patch and landed the next time around. And I almost missed runway 8/26 until it's centerline strip showed up in my lights. The other pilot was talking to the tower about getting some lights, tower suggested taking it up with the airport manager. Been done, gotten nowhere. Guess I need to take the manager up some evening and show him what it's like. I don't think he's a pilot.

Well, that's more than I planned on posting about my 104th anniversary of the Wright Brother's accomplishment, but... :p

Back