GTN 650 question

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I noticed this behavior in the sim last night. I haven’t noticed it for real, but I might have missed it. I haven’t been able to find anything about it in the manual.

In the “default nav” screen, the CDI pointer normally points up. There are times where it will flip and point down for a second, then flip back. I assumed it was happening at some transition at a waypoint in the flight plan. I wasn’t paying close attention when that happened so I didn’t notice the transition and I just happened to be looking at the CDI when it flipped. I’ll try to recreate it.

IMG_0002.jpeg

To/From indicator?
Almost acts that way, but it’s only for a second before it flips back. Maybe in the time it’s transitioning from waypoint to waypoint in the flight plan? I’ll play around with it when I get some time this afternoon.

I do believe it's a To/From indicator and that it does the temporary flip when crossing GPS waypoints, just like an old-school CDI indicator would do when you crossed a VOR and promptly tuned the next one.

Tune a vor with it and see how it acts. That may clear things up.

I do believe it's a To/From indicator and that it does the temporary flip when crossing GPS waypoints, just like an old-school CDI indicator would do when you crossed a VOR and promptly tuned the next one.
I think that’s the case. I just tested it again. It happened so quickly I couldn’t get a screenshot. As soon as I hit a waypoint it flipped, transitioned to the next leg, then flipped back.

I never noticed that in flight.

Yeah, that’s it.

Reached ANQUM and on the way to JIKLA. The ETA switched from 00:00 to 03:50. The indicator flipped and about a second later flipped back.

IMG_0005.jpeg

It probably also flips the To/From indicator on any connected CDI/HSI, as an additional alert that you may need to turn to a new DTK.

I just set up a flight plan with a bunch of waypoints and kicked off the flight at the default mooney speed of 600kts and the flag flipped quickly at each waypoint.

Back