Gruman fly-in at Carlsbad, June 9

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
An insider mentioned the fly-in at KCNM elsewhere. I don't fly a Grumman, but I'm going to drop in and have a look, maybe score a seat check in AA1 (I aready fit in AA5). It's within my range, barely.

Last edited:
An insider mentioned the fly-in at KCNM elsewhere. I don't fly a Grumman, but I'm going to drop in and have a look, maybe score a seat check in AA1 (I aready fit in AA5). It's within my range, barely.

Pete, I'm going to try and stop by Saturday morining if work stays out of the way. There are supposed to be about 25 Grumman AC there. I sent Scott Sanders a message earlier in the week to get some type of agenda, but he never replied my message.

I landed at Carlsbad, and it was Grummans, Grummans everywhere, a ramp full of parked Grummans... And not a man in sight. Apparently they all went to the caverns.

picture.php

picture.php

Amusingly, not one Cougar.

P.S. The lineman told me that Dan was looking for me.

Last edited:
While a Cougar is a Grumman, it doesn't share anything with our single engine brethren beyond name. However, it is still one of us. :)

P.S. The lineman told me that Dan was looking for me.

Darn it! I landed and hung out awhile, but figured you decided "no go" based on winds. Only one arrival while I was there. Lineman told me they all arrived the day before. Have relatives there, but they were out of town at the lake.

Had 40-45 kt tailwind on the way to Carlsbad NM ... all smooth until east of Guadalupe Peak. Got some of the worst turbulence ever and saw some 2000 FPM VSI downdrafts (most were +/- 500 fpm). Let the plane descend to 1000 AGL (about 4000 ft loss for that area) and things smoothed out. Trip there was at 170 kts with throttle back at 24-2500. Return leg saw speeds of 80 kts:mad:

I got nearly the same photos as you ... will upload them later on the PurpleBoard.

How about this one:

-- Pete

Well no ....not that one. I was well south of the fire areas at Ruidoso. Larry Pardue took some pretty impressive ones of the fire from the upwind side ... downwind was just all haze. Did you fly the arrow there?

Back