Ground School Textbooks

ajstoner21

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Hello All,

I am trying to figure out what the best, most cost effective textbooks are to use for private pilot, and instrument pilot ground school courses.

The Jeppesen books are nice, but, I think they are overpriced.

The Gleim test guide books are nice, but I have never seen their Pilot Handbook. Has anyone used the Gleim "Pilot Handbook" ? Is it good?

The FAA "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" and "Instrument Flying Handbook" are also good,

But, what would you all recommend for a ground school course?

I've heard very good things about Rod Machado's books from a couple of local schools training light sport, private, and instrument pilots

The FAA books are the source from which the others draw, mostly. Jeppesen uses their figures, etc. However, they are quite dry. I have used them as well as the Jeppesen ones (Private and bundled Comm/Inst. under one cover, not sure if this has changed since I bought them).

If you can get through the FAA books, they are the most affordable, I believe.

I've also heard good things about Machado's books but have never used them either.

Machado's books are good and he has a workbook that goes w/ the private text as well. Also, if you have a question you can email him and he will quite quickly write you back, which I thought was astounding and impressed me somehow.

ASA has a private pilot kit that they sell w/ textbook, plotter, pts, etc etc all together for a flat rate which I like. It uses Bob Gardner's book : The Complete Private Pilot which is also good.

Why are you getting the private pilot and instrument at one time?

Sorry, I should have mentioned this ahead of time.

I am a ground instructor, with advanced and instrument ratings.

I have people approaching me who want some ground school knowledge (new student pilots as well as folks seeking an instrument rating), and I am not entirely sure what the best books/kits for them to buy are.

I can get great deals on the Gleim Pilot kits as well as other products of theirs. So, I am honestly, initially leaning towards Gleim (CFI's, contact gleim, they can offer you huge discounts).

But, I know there are other great products out there, so I am trying to find out about what I haven't personally seen.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Rod Machado's books.
They are near as "dry" as the rest. I used his for my PP.

Overpriced though they might be, I still like the Jepp books.

I like the FAA books and the Gleim disk with the questions.

I have copies of each.

I think the ASA series is the most value for the dollar, Gleim is the most test-focused, and Jepp the most overpriced.

Rod Machado's books -- while excellent -- are not for everyone. I won't recommend unless I know the student well enough.

If I had my druthers, all of my student pilots would use the Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, the AFM/POH, and the FAR/AIM. The other book that might be useful to them would be the Kershner book, but I haven't succeeded in getting a student to buy on yet, mainly because they are looking for what's readily available at the nearby shop. So, I use a lot of Jeppessen. I remember also that I liked the ASA Instrument Flying book, too.
I'm not a huge fan of the one Machado book I've had so far.

Ryan

Ok - It seems everyone who has used a book, seems to really like it, so almost any of the mentioned books would be great it seems.

Maybe the better question to ask is, would you recommend a definite no to any of those books (or other books?). What are the worst books you've seen?

Ok - It seems everyone who has used a book, seems to really like it, so almost any of the mentioned books would be great it seems.

Maybe the better question to ask is, would you recommend a definite no to any of those books (or other books?). What are the worst books you've seen?
If you buy the Jeppesen package, there is NO equivalent for the Airplane Flying Handbook. I find that a hindrance if the student wants to do self-study before a flight lesson.

Ryan

If you buy the Jeppesen package, there is NO equivalent for the Airplane Flying Handbook. I find that a hindrance if the student wants to do self-study before a flight lesson.

Ryan

Why do you suggest the "FAA Airplane Flying Handbook"? It seems it "lacks" alot of stuff a private pilot would need (no weather, or instrument/systems stuff, no navigation stuff)? I will say, it has a lot of extra stuff, like "transitioning to ____ " stuff, and extra maneuvers useful for higher level certificates.

It seems that the "FAA Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" would be better, as it covers pretty much everything for the private pilot. Just seems to have more "basic" for first time pilot material.

I guess buying both the "FAA Airplane Flying Handbook" and "FAA Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" would complement each other well.

Edit: (Failed to see your first post)

Why do you suggest the "FAA Airplane Flying Handbook"? It seems it "lacks" alot of stuff a private pilot would need (no weather, or instrument/systems stuff, no navigation stuff)? I will say, it has a lot of extra stuff, like "transitioning to ____ " stuff, and extra maneuvers useful for higher level certificates.

It seems that the "FAA Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" would be better, as it covers pretty much everything for the private pilot. Just seems to have more "basic" for first time pilot material.

I guess buying both the "FAA Airplane Flying Handbook" and "FAA Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" would complement each other well.

Edit: (Failed to see your first post)
If my students buy the Jepp package, I still make 'em buy the AFH. It has the potential to save them money in the long run. If they understand the maneuvers better before I get in front of them on the blackboard, they won't need as much time to get them right.

Ryan

Last edited:
I personally really like the Machado stuff, and I think it's great - For those who aren't planning on pursuing a flying career.

If you're planning on pursuing a flying career, might as well go ahead and subject yourself to the Jepp materials - You're going to be seeing that kind of stuff for a long time.

Every book is going to have it's advantages and disadvantages. I've used Gleim, ASA, Jepp, Machado, King Schools (same thing as the Cessna kits), as well as the FAA books.

My opinion:
Gleim is the driest of the group but it's purpose is to be straight forward. So your students will get pretty much exactly what they need but you may loose them with lack of colorful pictures. I'm a picture person, so they lost me. You do have an advantage of the CFI discount though. They called me the other day and I had to turn it down because King Schools offers Cessna pilot Centers discounts too which I'm a part of. I'm not sure what their discounts are for CFIs, 20% comes to mind but I could be wrong. I do admit though, I liked their customer service. One of their CSRs called the school and we talked about what it was like to be a CFI and fly in nebraska more than the actual discount. I appreciated that even if it was just trying to get on my good side. As soon as it's all about buying something, you loose me as a customer.

As a student, ASA has my favorite DVD course. The Private pilot books themselves are just as interesting/dry as any other text book of its size but the DVD courses are the least boring I've come across, king is a close second. I recommend the written study guides to all of my students. I really like the explanations and questions grouped together as well as the inclusion of the actual test supplement just like you will use on your test. All of my students have used this way to study for their writtens, I haven't heard any complaints.

Jeppesen is great and I have used them as a college text book for both my instrument/commercial as well as Multi. These books are awesome with tons of pictures and explanations. The drawback is they're very expensive and sometimes their size can be a bit intimidating. The private pilot book will run you about $85. You might be lucky to find a used one online since many colleges do use them. If you want to use Jepp, the cheapest route is just to buy the whole kit.

King/Cessna is what we use at the flight school. Most of their programs are online now which is great for people that love computer based training and hate taking a huge text book everywhere. The videos we're all used to are still included in chunks throughout the program. All of the info including all of the FAA's books are in PDF format along with practice exams are in there as well. King is pretty good and the Kings themselves are great people (I've met them!) but sometimes I feel like I'm being talked to like a 5 year old. We don't use any books from them so I don't have any recommendations for that. A huge advantage is that the online programs are good for life and will also be updated for life too so you can always go back and review years after your training (which is awesome for flight review time!) The "line up and wait" was added a week after the rule took place. The drawback is that you do not get an actual textbook since it's all online and it's also a little pricey. You do get a lot for your money though. I like the handiness and everything that's included like all of those FAA books, a cessna POH (which is about $60 or so) and the ability for your instructor to link with your program to see how you're doing. The entire kit is $349. You can check out a free demo online. http://cessnaflighttraining.kingschools.com/demo/

Machado is an awesome all around book. You get the great explanations similar to Jeppesen, the weather section in one book unlike the FAA's, it had enough pictures to keep many students following along, and some great humor to keep them interested. It's not the cheapest out there but I believe as far as hard back quality books, it's a good investment. I've taught ground school classes using this book and the knowledge the students get get is well rounded. Machado's book is about $65 brand new.

As an instructor, the FAA books are my personal favorite. The Airplane flying handbook is great for understanding the maneuvers in textual format. That's the "flying" stuff book. The Aeronautical Knowledge book is the book I refer to most of the time for good knowledge based information. It's very pictorial and really not as dry as I originally thought when I bought them. It's the cheapest of the books you'll find and what's even better is many times you can buy them at Barns & Noble or any other large local book store. I haven't bought the weather book but I have heard it's lacking on some things. If you guys run across a good all around weather book, I'd be interested in knowing. I've taught weather pretty well just using online resources, a combination of the above books, and real life experiences. All of the previous books/programs mentioned do have lessons on weather anyways. The FAA's books are about $25 a piece (or free online).

The FAR/AIM, well that just speaks for itself. Just get one. :)

I get asked this same question all the time, "which books are right for me?" The ultimate answer is to check out the pros and cons of each, take a look at the books, and just decide what kind of a learner you (or the student) is. If you want straight forward, cheap and don't care about dryness, go with gleim. If you want lot's of pictures and deep explanations, Machado, King, or Jepp are good choices. The FAA books are somewhere in the middle. I'm lucky in my training history to have used all of them. I use a combination of ASA, Cessna/King, and the FAA's books in my daily instruction. Use what you like though, they're all going to give you the same information just in different formats.

p.s. Another good book to have as a reference is Everything Explained for the Professional pilot... it's nice fun dictionary.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Hello All,

I am trying to figure out what the best, most cost effective textbooks are to use for private pilot, and instrument pilot ground school courses.

The Jeppesen books are nice, but, I think they are overpriced.

The Gleim test guide books are nice, but I have never seen their Pilot Handbook. Has anyone used the Gleim "Pilot Handbook" ? Is it good?

The FAA "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" and "Instrument Flying Handbook" are also good,

But, what would you all recommend for a ground school course?

The FAA "books" are also titled as "Advisory Circulars" and at one time could be downloaded for free from the FAA website. You'd have to view as a PDF on a computer or handheld.

The FAA "books" are also titled as "Advisory Circulars" and at one time could be downloaded for free from the FAA website. You'd have to view as a PDF on a computer or handheld.

All the FAA stuff can still be downloaded for free - For some reason, the FAA feels the need to reorganize their web site once or twice a year so that everyone's links break. It's easiest just to Google the title of the pub you're looking for.

If price is a concern, you can get used copies of the Jeppesen or Machado off Amazon or half.com.

I used Machado's book. His humor is cheesy and over the top, which is normally a bad thing. But for some reason, it was a really fun read. And most of it stuck. That's the important part.

I used Machado's book. His humor is cheesy and over the top, which is normally a bad thing. But for some reason, it was a really fun read. And most of it stuck. That's the important part.
+1... Making knowledge "stick" is the challenge, and Machado does it well. Just as when he talks in person - his humor isn't the medicine, it's the spoon. It's amazing what people take away from his stuff that they really didn't realize they were learning.

The FAA books would be the most cost effective...free if you don't mind reading on a computer/tablet/phone screen.

The PHAK would be for groundschool while the Airplane Flying Handbook would be more of a companion to the flight portion of training.

Plus a test guide. I like the ASA one because the figures come along with the test guide but in a separate book you can remove. Makes it easier to take practice tests.

As a student, I have some of the ASA (just got one called simply "Ground School" I believe that seems GREAT) handbook of aeronautical knowledge also I've been using to supplement my Ground School course (because it is norwegian). They are good, but I would just say from a students standpoint, or THIS students, a good index is worth a LOT to me. Of course, I can get to the same thing if the table of contents is also well divided up. I read from cover to cover but when questions come up an index for example that would include subcategories is just about the best.

Back