Grief and anti-depressants

A

Anon

I recently lost my son. I am struggling with my mental health and it feels like I am getting worse. I plan to get help. I may ask for medication.

I have a PPL and 3rd class medical.

What are the likely impacts?

I’m sorry for your loss, there are a couple AME’s on here who will chime in.

I recently lost my son. I am struggling with my mental health and it feels like I am getting worse. I plan to get help. I may ask for medication.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

First of all, health first. Flying is secondary.

But that's not what you asked, so.....

The FAA has established protocols and several approved antidepressants, so it is quite likely that you could get approval and continue to fly under your Class 3. @bbchien has expertise in this area, having had a role in writing the protocols, so a private consultation with him would be a good idea. You would likely need a Special Issuance and you may have some hoops to jump through; sometimes this becomes expensive and takes a long time.

An alternative to the FAA hoops would be Basic Med, and in fact you might want to go ahead and get Basic Med in place right away just to take the worry off your plate. Basic Med does require a one-time special issuance for certain mental health conditions, but simple depression is not one of them. Here's the FAA guide:

1726790359815.png

Operating under Basic Med might give you and your treating physician more flexibility in your treatment without the added anxiety about what could happen to your Class 3 medical. Regardless, be cautious of side effects of any prescribed medication and discuss your desire to fly with your doctor.

Having your Class 3 revoked will wipe out your ability to go with Basic Med, so tread cautiously if you work with an AME or seek to renew your medical.

You might want to try counseling first. I'll note that many ministers are trained in grief counseling and such visits can be done outside the insurance and medical records system. If you're part of a church, a discussion with your pastor or priest would be a good idea, and he might be able to recommend a counselor.

I have also known people to have good results with natural remedies, such as St John's Wort or Passion Flower, which can be bought OTC. Be aware that these can take several weeks to build up in your system and become effective, but they do work for many people. While these are not prescription substances, it would still be wise to discuss them with your physician before you try them.

Hope all this helps a bit. I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss. There are some things that only time can heal, and some that time alone can never heal. Seek wise counsel and take care of yourself.

Look up the Anxiety Depression and related conditions "fast track pathway".
You can do counseling currently, and if no meds in the prior 2 years, an AMe can issue you.

So, go get to a counselor.

Last edited:
Besides the drug talk, have you looked into a support group? Not saying anything would be a panacea for the loss of your son.

Pills don’t fix crappy situations. Time and talk can. Ask yourself- given the trauma you have experienced- are you supposed to feel the way you do? Pills don’t fix normal reactions to f’ed up situations.

"Pills" can keep you alive, sometimes. Geez.

They can also kill you. Grief is a very natural process that people go through and it is part of the healing process. There are many ways to deal with it but IMHO meds would be a very last resort (if at all) as they only mask the reality and have a tendency to make the grieving person dependant upon the drugs to relieve the pain which reappears when the drug is removed.

Good spiritual counseling and time will help heal the wounds. Realizing that the time spent together more than covers the pain of loss eventually helps bring relief ...

Does your employer have an EAP? Is there a religious leader you can talk to? These are not reportable to the FAA, and they might help. Or they might help you realize you need a higher level of care. Seeking help is the right thing to do, and it shouldn't cause you more anxiety. Of you do decide that to want to go the medication route, I would implore you to do that with a psychiatrist, not your GP.

I will get advice on therapy and meds from my health care providers. My first appointment with a grief counselor is tomorrow.

Thanks for the answers on Basic Med and Fast Track.

Right now I am leaning towards selling my plane anyways. I am nowhere near being ready to fly and have zero desire to get there.

I pray none of you ever experience this level of pain. It is literally soul crushing.

I will get advice on therapy and meds from my health care providers. My first appointment with a grief counselor is tomorrow.

Thanks for the answers on Basic Med and Fast Track.

Right now I am leaning towards selling my plane anyways. I am nowhere near being ready to fly and have zero desire to get there.

I pray none of you ever experience this level of pain. It is literally soul crushing.
You’ve made a great choice, and know that many are praying for you as well.

Went to the airfield today with a friend. I could not bring myself to go near my plane. I was cleaning my hangar when my son died. Feelings of guilt are overwhelming.
Pretty sure I will sell the plane, so meds question is irrelevant. However, it did not come up at grief counseling, so I will attempt to work through without for time being.

Pretty sure I will sell the plane, so meds question is irrelevant.

Give it time. Hasty decisions made while you’re going through this are best avoided.

And you can always go Basic Med, so meds would be between you and your doc; no FAA involvement.

It’s very early days yet. Hang in there.

Went to the airfield today with a friend. I could not bring myself to go near my plane. I was cleaning my hangar when my son died. Feelings of guilt are overwhelming.
Pretty sure I will sell the plane, so meds question is irrelevant. However, it did not come up at grief counseling, so I will attempt to work through without for time being.
Just sit on the plane and give it time. Now is not the time to be making big decisions. Just focus on grieving and processing.

Back