Greenville, Maine Sea Plane Fly-in

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Ben, CFI at Twitchell's Airport, Turner, Maine, flew my plane with three passengers to the Sea Plane Fly-in at Greenville. I told him to get some photos of the plane for its travels history. Here's what he got with the Folsom's famous DC-3 breathing down the Skyhog's neck. The Katahdin Range looks inviting while over the waters of Moosehead Lake. (and I wasn't one of the passengers)

HR

Footnote: The first images I've posted via the new PC. 10 GB of RAM and this thing smokes my old tower with its 1 GB RAM(2003 vintage).

Attachments

• N7872G Greenville_1.jpg
    N7872G Greenville_1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • N7872G Greenville_2.jpg
    N7872G Greenville_2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • N7872G Greenville_3.jpg
    N7872G Greenville_3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Nice pictures. It looks like your friend has a headwind in that pic. (see the glassy water in the lee of the islands)

Why didn't you go?

My plane was at Twitchell's Airport where they had stuffed it undercover just before "IRENE" was to hit us. After it had passed, Ben was going to drive up to Greenville, and back, in one day. It's about a 2 hour drive, one way. My CFI, Dale Twitchell, suggested that Ben might ask me if he could use my plane. Better in the air than sitting on the ground. And so he did. Ben had estimated a 50 min. flight to 3B1 in my plane. On the appointed day I just happened to be there when he returned. With a strong headwind on the way up to Greenville the flight took one hour. On the way back, tailwind: 40 minutes.

It's said to be traditional that annual attendees at the big Fly-in make their housing reservations a year in advance, many homeowners renting out rooms for the weekend.
I've never been up there; but years ago a customer came into my store, she from Greenville and with a daughter at Bowdoin College, across the street from my store. The mother told me that if I were to attend the fly-in I would be welcome to free use of their other house that's right on the lake shore. I didn't make it up that year, and now I can't find the lady's name and address she had left with me.

Ben's passengers on the trip were his wife, young child, and the copilot who normally flies a King Air in New Hampshire. That must have been a let-down for him, though he complimented upon how nicely the Skyhawk flies.

HR

I don't have the right answer. When Ben told me that he had taken pictures of my plane "beside the DC-3," I humorously thought he'd either planted my bird in the drink, or that the float-mounted DC-3 was, though on the water, near the terra firma where mine was parked.

HR

That DC-3 was sniffin' your bird's butt... wonder what kind of pups a DC-3 and a Skyhawk would have? ;) ;) ;) L-19's?

I would think a GATS Jar would make a sufficient sippy cup for a baby plane....

Planes don't make babies.

People make babies.

Stolen from elsewhere:

One day the pilot of a Cherokee 180 was told by the tower to hold short of the active runway while a DC-8 landed. The DC-8 landed, rolled out, turned around, and taxied back past the Cherokee. Some quick-witted comedian in the DC-8 crew got on the radio and said, "What a cute little plane. Did you make it all by yourself?" The Cherokee pilot, not about to let the insult go by, came back with a real zinger: "I made it out of DC-8 parts. Another landing like yours and I'll have enough parts for another one."

That is cute. I need to memorize more airplane jokes. I only know the one about the pilot at the party.

What? The Folsom DC-3's not on floats anymore? When did they do that?

I've got a photo around here somewhere of that DC-3 on amphib floats.
It was winter, the Greenville ramp was sheet ice, so I kept taxiing (crawling) back to good pavement and departed.

Footnote: The first images I've posted via the new PC. 10 GB of RAM and this thing smokes my old tower with its 1 GB RAM(2003 vintage).

I upgraded to a Win7 x64 with an AMD quad core and 4GB ram. I maxed the motherboard at 16GB RAM last spring. It only makes a difference on some programs.

But there is a huge difference between old WinXP 32bit and 1GB and new Win7 64bit and 16GB.

Back