Great backcountry spots

96chevtruck

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
69skylane
Here in Idaho Smiley Creek and Johnson Creek strips are fantastic places to fly into in the summer. They both cater to pilots with campsites and hot showers. Very nice.

A few members here have been there, tell great stories... but there is no such thing as too many, so share yours.

Pictures, too.

And, welcome to PoA!

Don't promote Smiley Creek too much. If it gets busy, I won't be able to sleep in the bathroom when it gets cold!! (The Shower stall is pretty comfortable) :thumbsup:

Barb

Don't promote Smiley Creek too much. If it gets busy, I won't be able to sleep in the bathroom when it gets cold!! (The Shower stall is pretty comfortable) :thumbsup:

Barb
Hey, Barb! When are you going to fly back to the farm again??

Here in Idaho Smiley Creek and Johnson Creek strips are fantastic places to fly into in the summer. They both cater to pilots with campsites and hot showers. Very nice.

What months are the best time to make a first time visit with a 182 with wheel pants?

One of the best and least known back country spots is MaGee Ranger station
Bring your own tent, but there is a potty.

There isn't much there except a very nice trout stream, and a forest fire base grass strip.

Attachments

• DSCN0127.jpg
    DSCN0127.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0129.jpg
    DSCN0129.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0146.jpg
    DSCN0146.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN0145.jpg
    DSCN0145.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 23
What months are the best time to make a first time visit with a 182 with wheel pants?

Not from there, but I did fly a 182 there! In August, the runway was in great shape. :yes:

Since it's a fairly dry area, I would imagine that once the snow has melted and the ground has dried up from that, you'd be good until the snow flew again. It would take longer for that process to occur, though, since it's down in a valley and gets less direct sunlight than we do in the flatlands.

I would also imagine that it doesn't take long after the caretaker arrives for the summer for it to be ready to go. It's a VERY nice runway, so once the grass gets cut for the first time I wouldn't worry about having wheel pants on.

Here in WI, we don't have anything that compares to Johnson Creek, but there are a few good places to camp:

1) Three Lakes (40D): Nicest grass runway I've ever landed on (and lit, too), camping on the field, a dirty but usable bathroom in the small building onsite, and a camp store, restaurant, and boat rental facility on the shore of the lake across the street from the north end of the runway.

2) Tomahawk (KTKV) and Adams-Friendship (63C): Both have 24-hour accessible bathroom/shower buildings, camping allowed on the field, and fire pits. Both are paved-runway uncontrolled municipal airports. KTKV has an "airport attendant" who lives in the house on the field, 63C's manager lives right across the street and will lend you his own car if you need it. Super-nice guy (obviously).

As far as neat backcountry places I've been that aren't in Idaho, I'd have to say that Gravelly Valley, CA was pretty cool - Had to chase a pair of Elk off the runway before landing!

attachment.php

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 122
Here in WI, we don't have anything that compares to Johnson Creek, but there are a few good places to camp:

1) Three Lakes (40D): Nicest grass runway I've ever landed on (and lit, too), camping on the field, a dirty but usable bathroom in the small building onsite, and a camp store, restaurant, and boat rental facility on the shore of the lake across the street from the north end of the runway.

2) Tomahawk (KTKV) and Adams-Friendship (63C): Both have 24-hour accessible bathroom/shower buildings, camping allowed on the field, and fire pits. Both are paved-runway uncontrolled municipal airports. KTKV has an "airport attendant" who lives in the house on the field, 63C's manager lives right across the street and will lend you his own car if you need it. Super-nice guy (obviously).

As far as neat backcountry places I've been that aren't in Idaho, I'd have to say that Gravelly Valley, CA was pretty cool - Had to chase a pair of Elk off the runway before landing!

attachment.php
That's beautiful!

Hey, Barb! When are you going to fly back to the farm again??

I'd come tomorrow if I could. I just started a new job in Wyoming, so I have to work a while to get some time off time. My Short Wing convention is in Spearfish SD this year (a whole 2 hours away) maybe I could make Missouri be on the way! :fcross:

I would guess late spring to early fall. Both places have well maintained runways. I have been there in June and July. Smiley Creek had daytime temps up to 93*F and early AM temps of 28*F. Elevation is about 7000 ft.

There is a pretty good restaruant across the street from the airport and last time I was there they had Alaskan Amber in a bottle. Hmmm-Hmmm good. And there are some rooms and Teepees for rent there.

I'll leave the Johnson Creek pictures to Kent but here are some of Smiley Creek.

Attachments

• NoExpos 415Smiley Creek Evening.jpg
    NoExpos 415Smiley Creek Evening.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 22
  • NoExpos 419Smiley Creek Evening.jpg
    NoExpos 419Smiley Creek Evening.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 16
  • 329 Antelope.jpg
    329 Antelope.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 16
I'd come tomorrow if I could. I just started a new job in Wyoming, so I have to work a while to get some time off time. My Short Wing convention is in Spearfish SD this year (a whole 2 hours away) maybe I could make Missouri be on the way! :fcross:

Where 'bout in WY? I'm a fairly frequent visitor to south and south central WY and sometimes I even get to bring the Frankenkota.

Where 'bout in WY? I'm a fairly frequent visitor to south and south central WY and sometimes I even get to bring the Frankenkota.

Torrington. I've been watching you guys lunch talk and figure I'm going to make it to one of them sometime.

Congrats! Now, I have to ask... Did you do this at least in part so you could be closer to all the cool backcountry flying? ;)

Ah, I will neither confirm or deny that accusation. And it was getting to be a two day trip to find an airport I haven't landed at back home. Now I have an all new set. :cornut:

Torrington. I've been watching you guys lunch talk and figure I'm going to make it to one of them sometime.

I drove right by you today (only a 1/4 state away on I-25).:D

Winds made me think flying to CPR would be just a bit bumpy so had to slog it out at 0 agl.

I'm not sure how you'd make it to one of the lunch meets...maybe head for Billings?

I drove right by you today (only a 1/4 state away on I-25).:D

Winds made me think flying to CPR would be just a bit bumpy so had to slog it out at 0 agl.

I'm not sure how you'd make it to one of the lunch meets...maybe head for Billings?

The day I got here it was blowing something like 25G45 KTs. I can takeoff in a pinch at 41mph. It was an exciting landing! The ground was blowing up into the sky all around the airport.

The day I got here it was blowing something like 25G45 KTs. I can takeoff in a pinch at 41mph. It was an exciting landing! The ground was blowing up into the sky all around the airport.

Welcome to Wyoming!

"Why does the wind always blow in Wyoming? Because Nebraska sucks!" :ihih:

Looking forward to seeing ya "down here" or "up there" sometime. If the airplane's out of the avionics shop and the weather/wind cooperates, Wyoming was on the "possible" list of where to fly for some hood work this weekend.

Vee shall see... Vee shall see...

Here is a video of mine landing at a back country.org forum flyin in 2008. I was landing on the upriver runway of 17 at Johnson Creek. I hope you haven't looked at all ready.
http://youtu.be/ZjONA7HyL-w

Back