GFC 500 question

David Kagey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DMKagey
Autopilot question. For my use the 550 is a stretch and I wasn’t planning on adding the auto trim. I have dual G5’s and GTN750. My question was, how do you handle the manual trim? Someone posted that the G5 annunciation does it. Didn’t understand how this works or what it looks like. I had been looking at either the Trio or the BK AeroCruze and both have an indicator where you trim up or down until the indicator goes away. Thanks for the help

The g5 will say "trim up/down". I've seen it once or twice when when the electric trim doesn't quite keep up. Just displays the message on the ai screen. I don't know how close it needs to be. I guess I should pull the trim breaker some time to see what it's like.

That said, skipping the electric trim on a GFC500 installation would be penny wise and pound foolish. It would save what...10% of the cost on a 20k+ install? You'll definitely get that back at resale time.

If you skip it, the next owner will call you a cheap bastard when he's paying to get it added ;)

Last edited:
The g5 will say "trim up/down". I've seen it once or twice when when the electric trim doesn't quite keep up. Just displays the message on the ai screen. I don't know how close it needs to be. I guess I should pull the trim breaker some time to see what it's like.

That said, skipping the electric trim on a GFC500 installation would be penny wise and pound foolish. It would save what...10% of the cost on a 20k+ install? You'll definitely get that back at resale time.

If you skip it, the next owner will call you a cheap bastard when he paying to get it added ;)
It was $5k to add the trim. Had been looking at AeroCruze and Trio. Price was a reasonable differemce until I added trim..then it moved much higher

If you skip it, the next owner will call you a cheap bastard when he paying to get it added ;)
I need to dig more. Been watching videos and reading and can’t find where the G5 “says” pitch up or down. Assume you mean on the screen,but can’t find a reference to it.

I'm surprised it's that much, but I guess the servo is like 2500 and the old 2x rule applies.

I'll say this...if you didn't already have the garmin panel, I'd go with another a/p, but the gfc is so awesome with the g5s and gtn that it's easily worth the money in my opinion. The mode controller is awesome, and the way it integrates with the g5s is way more useful than I imagined. ESP is great for peace of mind. I think the other options have some limitations on approaches, but it's been a while since I've looked. Personally I'd still bite the bullet and do the 3 axis gfc, but it's your money not mine.

I need to dig more. Been watching videos and reading and can’t find where the G5 “says” pitch up or down. Assume you mean on the screen,but can’t find a reference to it.
It's a little confusing as all the gfc500 info is actually in the g5 manual because it's the brains of the system. Here's what it looks like:
Screenshot_20240802_213635_Drive.jpgB2FC9AB6-5DB3-4E86-9546-733FAF303763.jpeg.806d955811a672477a1287a814cad78c.jpeg

In the photo, his electric trim has failed. I'm 95% certain the messages are the same if you are using manual trim.

If you plan on flying a few approaches in IMC near minimums, single pilot, I would think the auto-trim would be worth it. One less thing to manage. If you’re putting family in the plane, another value consideration. My 2 cents.

Back