Gettysburg

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
Wife and I thought Gettysburg might be a fitting destination tomorrow. Any recent experience flying into there to visit the park? Can it be done without renting a car? We'll probably bring the dog, so is there much to see on foot outside? Or do we just rent a car?

Wife and I thought Gettysburg might be a fitting destination tomorrow. Any recent experience flying into there to visit the park? Can it be done without renting a car? We'll probably bring the dog, so is there much to see on foot outside? Or do we just rent a car?

Call ahead and you should be able to arrange ground transport to the park.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I don't have any recent experience.

When I was last there, the FBO was barely there but the local cab company had offices there. Transportation was easy but to tour the battlefields, it seemed that a car was required.

Call ahead and you should be able to arrange ground transport to the park.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Where do I call? The only number at the airport is the flight school. Is that the contact?

I was actually thinking of going into there myself one of these weeks. I am curious if the fact that it is on the big white DCA square will complicate the procedure to get into there.

Please report back on how your trip went.

Sorry, we decided to postpone until we could get a rental car. There is a free shuttle that runs by the airport, but we couldn't tell if they would allow us to ride with the dog. The local rental car centers all indicated that they would be closed Monday, so no option to get a car that we could use to drive to and within the park. Could not find a cab company number.

I did not try to contact the flight school at the airport.

The battlefield park is a big place. Plus, there's an excellent visitor's center that runs a very moving and well done film documentary in a nice theater. You can purchase a cd for the car that relates the historical significance of twenty odd sites as you take a driving tour, a good few hours that really breathes life into the strategic and physical battles that take place. Very awe inspiring. Civil War soldiers were some tough SOB's.

I'm all for traveling with dogs, but to get the full Gettysburg experience you might want to leave the pooch home just this once.

Back