Getting "Trapped" By AME's Refusing Fast Track

Jon Wilder

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jwylde
I'm reading in other places where people are coming in with all of the necessary paperwork for, say, ADHD fast track, to an appointment with an AME, only to be refused the fast track and the AME defers anyway. I just happened to read a Reddit post where a couple of posters stated that they're finding around their area that most AMEs are still deferring despite fast track being available.

Here the FAA actually went and did something to reduce the backlog at Oklahoma City, only to have AMEs bottleneck the system by refusing the fast track and deferring.

This reveals that now, the FAA is not the ONLY problem with the system.

I'd say any AME not following the FAA procedures should be reported to the RFS.

They don’t care. Instances of consequence are RARE. The faa doesn’t follow faa procedures… why are they gonna take some AME to task for that?

The AMA doesn’t either. AMEs are administrative docs, they don’t “treat”, so can do no more than administrative harm, which the ama couldn’t care a lick about.

FINALLY some AMEs are being sued for malpractice, this may start to set things straight, but not likely any time soon, who knows?

What a load of malarkey, Jon Wilder. I'm calling you out. You too, Jeff Oslick, Tools and No Doc Left Behind" Let's PILE ON here in the wrong.

Until Today, yes today, see the attachment. Today is the first day we can fast track anxiety disorder (if you qualify for that and combine it with ADD fast track. Note the DATE on the doucment. The change is at the lowest left on row A.

Anyone doing that for prior to today was indeed going to get his AME arse in a sling.
Of course, you hang the AME B4 you do any work.

Good luck getting anywhere.

1727313734981.png

It's in the newly added "Exception:" which was not present in the June version.

Will you look at the date on this document: 09/25/2024, just published ten hours ago.
SHAME ON YOU ALL. This string really should be named "idjits".

FAA is a huge organization. It moves all in unison. Like the DOD there is idiocy. But nobody changes until the policy becomes Policy. So you Four in the "gang of Four" obviously didn't both to read the orders.

Attachments

• ADD.Fast.Track.Change09.25.24.pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
What a load of malarkey, Jon Wilder. I'm calling you out. You too, Jeff Oslick, Tools and No Doc Left Behind" Let's PILE ON here in the wrong.

Until Today, yes today, see the attachment. Today is the first day we can fast track anxiety disorder (if you qualify for that and combine it with ADD fast track. Note the DATE on the doucment. The change is at the lowest left on row A.

Anyone doing that for prior to today was indeed going to get his AME arse in a sling.
Of course, you hang the AME B4 you do any work.

Good luck getting anywhere.

View attachment 133815
It's in the newly added "Exception:" which was not present in the June version.

Will you look at the date on this document: 09/25/2024, just published ten hours ago.
SHAME ON YOU ALL. This string really should be named "idjits".

FAA is a huge organization. It moves all in unison. Like the DOD there is idiocy. But nobody changes until the policy becomes Policy. So you Four in the "gang of Four" obviously didn't both to read the orders.
I made no mention of anxiety fast track. Notice I mentioned ADHD fast track, which has been around since August 30th, 2023.

Anyone who has a condition on the FAA's radar would be well served to do a consult with their chosen AME prior to the live exam. This is just another example of why.
Absolutely. I can't understand why anyone with any kind of questionable medical history at all wouldn't do a consult first (other than not realizing it's an option). Heck, I did one before I got my 1st class for my current job just to make sure there weren't going to be any surprises - and I didn't have any particularly worrisome health issues.

I made no mention of anxiety fast track. Notice I mentioned ADHD fast track, which has been around since August 30th, 2023.
Yeah but if you have even a suspicion of an common associated condition, the AME can't do that...though now, today he can do that for anxiety disorder.
None of your posts demonstrated ANY awareness of that.
You probalby didn't know that about 40% of supposed ADD cases came to light because the attentional was due to an anxiety disorder!

If you were aware of the orders you can read them to the AME. AND if he needs them read to him: WRONG AME. But he has to do the due diligence and if he thinks there's a side disorder he ISN'T GOING TO DO A THING (although now he could, but he could still decline). Did that ever occur to you?

You're never "trapped". Your'e always free to find someone who is up to date, do another exam or not other exam- just get advised.

B

Are you saying you can stop the exam at any time and decide to go to a different AME?
No; you don't initiate the actual medical (do not provide the MedExpress number) until you are reasonably confident of the process, and the outcome.

You're calling me out for telling someone to report an AME they think is not following the rules. I made no specific judgement that was definitely the here case. So, you're implying that pilots don't have any right to complain if they think they're being mistreated by an AME. Got it.

I'm reading in other places where people are coming in with all of the necessary paperwork for, say, ADHD fast track, to an appointment with an AME, only to be refused the fast track and the AME defers anyway. I just happened to read a Reddit post where a couple of posters stated that they're finding around their area that most AMEs are still deferring despite fast track being available.

Here the FAA actually went and did something to reduce the backlog at Oklahoma City, only to have AMEs bottleneck the system by refusing the fast track and deferring.

This reveals that now, the FAA is not the ONLY problem with the system.
The problem is you have no information concerning the information contained in the “necessary paperwork”.

AMEs can try to guide people and their doctors can provide the data the AME desires, but neither is going to misrepresent the patients’s health condition.

Just because someone desires fast track, doesn’t mean they qualify for fast track.

The problem is you have no information concerning the information contained in the “necessary paperwork”.

AMEs can try to guide people and their doctors can provide the data the AME desires, but neither is going to misrepresent the patients’s health condition.

Just because someone desires fast track, doesn’t mean they qualify for fast track.
This is not the issue. AMEs are refusing ADHD fast track altogether.

There have been a few people who were smart enough to go AME shopping and call with the fast track inquiry ahead of time, only to be told over the phone that they always defer. This happened upon the contacting of several AMEs.

So, if you plan to try the ADHD fast track route, you will probably have to shop around for an AME who will do it because not all of them will.

This is not the issue. AMEs are refusing ADHD fast track altogether.

There have been a few people who were smart enough to go AME shopping and call with the fast track inquiry ahead of time, only to be told over the phone that they always defer. This happened upon the contacting of several AMEs.

So, if you plan to try the ADHD fast track route, you will probably have to shop around for an AME who will do it because not all of them will.
You have zero clue what the issue is because you are not privileged to these people”s medical history and what they submitted. You also have no evidence on the number of AMEs categorically denying fast track. And probably nobody does.

I know AMEs that go above and beyond to work with all their special issuance applicants. I also know some that will flat look you in the face and advise you to go to another AME if you have health issues that will require an SI because they aren’t going to get involved in the process.

If you have any health issue that is going to require an SI, you better be working with an AME who is greasing the skids so things slide through smoothly before the application is submitted. Not just “coming in with all of the necessary paperwork”.

You have zero clue what the issue is because you are not privileged to these people”s medical history and what they submitted. You also have no evidence on the number of AMEs categorically denying fast track. And probably nobody does.

I know AMEs that go above and beyond to work with all their special issuance applicants. I also know some that will flat look you in the face and advise you to go to another AME if you have health issues that will require an SI because they aren’t going to get involved in the process.

If you have any health issue that is going to require an SI, you better be working with an AME who is greasing the skids so things slide through smoothly before the application is submitted. Not just “coming in with all of the necessary paperwork”.
OMG you're not hearing me.

Take that sentence where I mentioned the few people who were smart enough to go AME shopping and call with the fast track inquiry ahead of time. Meaning they hadn't even gone in to see the AME so the AME knows nothing about them. They simply contacted the AME's office and asked if they do ADHD fast track, and they were told by each that they always defer no matter what.

What part of this is not sinking in?

OMG you're not hearing me.

Take that sentence where I mentioned the few people who were smart enough to go AME shopping and call with the fast track inquiry ahead of time. Meaning they hadn't even gone in to see the AME so the AME knows nothing about them. They simply contacted the AME's office and asked if they do ADHD fast track, and they were told by each that they always defer no matter what.

What part of this is not sinking in?
Listening is not on his resume

Back