Garmin vs. Foreflight

Brian Fraser

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BSFraser
Hi All!

So with my Cessna Kit I received Garmin Pilot free for one year and I'm just getting into cross countries and wanted to run either Garmin Pilot or Foreflight side by side so I'm learning both the paper way and electronic but clearly focusing on paper.

A few questions. It appears based on what I've seen that Foreflight is more robust than Garmin so long term is it better to just bite the bullet and pay for foreflight so I'm not switching after Garmin expires?

How did you learn Garmin or Foreflight? I can't seem to figure out how to open the downloaded sections and terminal charts.

Any other advice would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Brian

I can't speak for Garmin Pilot, but on ForeFlight, just open the "Maps" and you can see the downloaded sectionals/TAFs. Remember that you can see all sectionals if connected to the internet, but only those that were downloaded on a stand alone iPad or iPhone. The iPhone interface is a little different in layout because the phone has a smaller screen.

There are people that use the Garmin products and they'll be around soon with more answers.

Cessna kit?
Student pilot?

I wouldn't bother with any of that till you get your ticket, you'll be better off

Cessna kit?
Student pilot?

I wouldn't bother with any of that till you get your ticket, you'll be better off
This.

I've used both and I prefer Foreflight.

I have used both but not anymore.

Occasionally I give them a fresh look but nothing pulls me back in.

For a VFR pilot, WingX offers far more features and bang for the buck in their base progam than either Foreflight or Garmin. The cool thing is that all three offer a 30 day free trial so you can download and compare the programs in order for you to see which one actually suits your needs the best. There is a thread on POA for a WingX manual you can download and there are a lot of videos on YouTube where Hilton goes through using the various features in WingX.

Best of luck with your training and whichever program you decide to go with.

For a VFR pilot, WingX offers far more features and bang for the buck in their base progam than either Foreflight or Garmin. The cool thing is that all three offer a 30 day free trial so you can download and compare the programs in order for you to see which one actually suits your needs the best. There is a thread on POA for a WingX manual you can download and there are a lot of videos on YouTube where Hilton goes through using the various features in WingX.

Best of luck with your training and whichever program you decide to go with.

Unoffical WingX user guide available

http://bit.ly/2cvFoQB

Foreflight is at it again. Another feature released that is available only to those using the new aeronautical maps, which is an extra charge, or requires the more expensive PLUS subscription. Used to pay $149 for the pro version and received everything (excl SVT which started the lift in annual costs). Now if you want everything it will cost you $199 plus.

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2016/11/8-hidden-features-foreflight-8/ shows zooming in on the MAPS page automatically opens the airport diagram if that is where the user zooms. App doesn't open the airport diagram on the map page like the system does with approaches) in non-aeronautical users.(

What does my $149 per year pay for? FF uses this to fund new development then won't provide it unless I pay again? This continued approach is going to drive me, and others, to another product.

FLyQ was recently offered $39/year vfr (on promo) and FLTPLAN Go is $0.00. Or Garmin Pilot. Hmmmm

Foreflight is at it again. Another feature released that is available only to those using the new aeronautical maps, which is an extra charge, or requires the more expensive PLUS subscription. Used to pay $149 for the pro version and received everything (excl SVT which started the lift in annual costs). Now if you want everything it will cost you $199 plus.

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2016/11/8-hidden-features-foreflight-8/ shows zooming in on the MAPS page automatically opens the airport diagram if that is where the user zooms. App doesn't open the airport diagram on the map page like the system does with approaches) in non-aeronautical users.(

Why would you want that feature?

That sounds super freaking annoying to me.

Why would you want that feature?

That sounds super freaking annoying to me.

I didn't make a value judgement on the feature. I have not used so I don't know. Foreflight's approach of using my current dollars to fund development then charge me again to use it is where I draw the ethical line.

The app automatically switches to the airport diagram when you land anyway. Guess this new feature saves a tap or two and you can stay on the maps page.

I didn't make a value judgement on the feature. I have not used so I don't know. Foreflight's approach of using my current dollars to fund development then charge me again to use it is where I draw the ethical line.

The app automatically switches to the airport diagram when you land anyway. Guess this new feature saves a tap or two and you can stay on the maps page.
I'm just thinking for someone like me who tends to zoom in and out looking for details around the airport, I can see it being really annoying if the taxi diagram keeps inadvertently popping up.

It also depends on whether your tablet is Android or Apple. If Android you don't have the option of using Foreflight. If Apple, you can try both. Mine is Android, so I use Garmin Pilot.

I have and use both. I prefer Garmin Pilot. I don't like chart views and when out of cell range Garmin's map view is better than anything Foreflight offers. It looks like the Garmin GPS boxes I've been using for 20 years but is more intuitive and easier to use. My new plane will use a G3X Touch so I'll stick with GP on my iDevices. Foreflight is good, too.

Last edited:
I hate them both. But I have Pilot because it is included with the OnePack that keeps my 430W and 696 databases current.

The tablet is fine for storing a butt load of documents like every manual for my instrumentation, FAR/AIM, AFD, etc. but when the prop is spinning I disregard it completely. Never seen or heard of a GPSMAP x96 overheating and cutting out. Mine is hardwired so ship power, so the battery doesn't have a chance of quitting on me.

Insert the obligatory get your certificate first and play with your tablet later advice here.

I downloaded the "free for 30 days" versions of Fore Flight and Garmin Pilot to test. After it was all said and done, the Fore Flight doesn't allow you full access for free. (I don't remember what is left out) What it allowed me to use was nice but I decided if they are going to charge more per year, and not let me test the entire program, I'll just use Garmin. I've had Pilot for about 8 months and love it for VFR. I don't know if you can file IFR with Garmin but for what I need, it works perfect.

Foreflight used to be the better program, but Garmin Pilot has caught up. Recently Foreflight has changed their maps (in the more expensive version) to look just like Garmin Pilot, so the choice is mostly a wash. It's too bad because FF had the lead and there are so many things that could make ForeFlight better, but they've wasted the last year copying Garmin.

If you have a G3X Touch both FF and GP work well, you can bluetooth flighplans to and from the G3X to your iPad etc. with either app.

Don't let the old folks on the forum dissuade you from using ForeFlight or GP while training just because they didn't. Learn in your primary instruction to fly the way you will when you get your certificate. Learn it now so you don't find yourself distracted later.

I asked my PPL DPE if I could use Foreflight and was quoted 91.103 Preflight action, "Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight..." Of course you should learn and use an EFB and (have at least one backup.)

Oh, that illusive Cessna with G3X Touch.

I'm only 50, so not all that old yet, but your statement suggests I should not have trained in a plane without autopilot, since 90% of the time I'm coupled up from ~2000ft AGL until I'm in the pattern on the other side.

Foreflight used to be the better program, but Garmin Pilot has caught up. Recently Foreflight has changed their maps (in the more expensive version) to look just like Garmin Pilot, so the choice is mostly a wash. It's too bad because FF had the lead and there are so many things that could make ForeFlight better, but they've wasted the last year copying Garmin.

If you have a G3X Touch both FF and GP work well, you can bluetooth flighplans to and from the G3X to your iPad etc. with either app.

Don't let the old folks on the forum dissuade you from using ForeFlight or GP while training just because they didn't. Learn in your primary instruction to fly the way you will when you get your certificate. Learn it now so you don't find yourself distracted later.

I asked my PPL DPE if I could use Foreflight and was quoted 91.103 Preflight action, "Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight..." Of course you should learn and use an EFB and (have at least one backup.)

I know were probably the odd balls. But I agree...I used FF pretty early on in my training actually. Don't get me wrong, I didn't really use it until my cross country flights, and I didn't have my face glued to it like some may think. Honestly, it is a very powerful tool and I am glad I used it.

Last edited:
... I don't like chart views and when out of cell range Garmin's map view is better than anything Foreflight offers. ...

What does the cell range have to do with anything?

My tablet doesn't even have a SIM card in it.

...Don't let the old folks on the forum dissuade you from using ForeFlight or GP while training just because they didn't. Learn in your primary instruction to fly the way you will when you get your certificate. Learn it now so you don't find yourself distracted later...

I'm probably a lot younger than most on here, and I've trained quite a few folks, trained quite a few in G1000s out of international airports, and even more in non transponder equipped 7ECAs out of uncontrolled strips.

I'm also all for tech and rock a iPad with foreflight pro SV, custom electronic log books, manage my personal aircrafts mx digitally, and fly planes with some rather heavy tech.

Learned to fly in a 1940s plane with no gyros or even a starter, currently flying a technologically advanced turbine, I love both worlds, but there is a manner of progression which works well, and one that doesn't work so well

That said

Building a foundation based on operating without crutches and aids, using your head and the windows as a moving map, knowing your fuel burn and times off a watch and your progress, being able to tell the local weather again by what's outside the windows, the temp and your altimeter settings, all that will put you ages beyond someone who always had a tablet on their lap (or worse yoke lol).

You're training as a VFR pilot, VISUAL, that means looking out the windows, not at pixels.

Build your skills up from a raw and solid foundation and add a iPad and ADSB and XM etc later, it's a non event, takes but a flight or two.

Try the inverse, yeah, not so much.

Foreflight aerial view isn't supported when away from wifi or cell service. At least it wasn't the last time I tried, failed, and talked to Foreflight about it.

Gotcha, I've never used that outside of planning, check out moton X, pretty good app for backcountry ops, it's got tons of maps and can even use custom maps, geared more for hiking and biking and the sort, but works great for backcountry flying too.

Garmin Pilot works perfectly and thus is my preference, especially since my new Cub has a G3X Touch system. I thought I already said that? :)

Whether the Cub with the G3X or the Cessna with the GDL39-3D the Garmin synthetic vision is really excellent. And GP doesn't charge extra for it.

Last edited:
Back