Garmin VNAV on an LNAV approach

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I was out flying practice approaches today and decided to try an LNAV to circling minimums. I have a G3X Touch experimental and a GTN 650 Xi. It should behave the same as a GFC 500 autopilot in case anyone knows how it is supposed to work on those.

Starting before the IAF, I set the altitude preselect to the circling minimums and activated VNAV mode. The autopilot and GTN did the step downs one at a time until the FAF, but after that the approach has a step down fix followed by the minimums and the VNAV didn’t sequence to either altitude. The glide path diamond came down through our altitude at the FAF but of course I didn’t activate APR mode because I didn’t want to fly the LPV.

Is there a step I probably missed to sequence down to the step down fix and/or LNAV minimums after the FAF when I want to fly a nonprecision version of a GPS approach, or do I have to use other autopilot vertical modes to get there?

I assume there wasn’t a LNAV+V option for this approach?
It’s an LPV so the avionics wanted me to fly the glidepath. I don’t know how to force an LNAV+V depiction when LPV is working.

Enroute VNAV does not go further than the FAF.
That makes sense, and it’s something I’ll have to practice with to get a feel for the best way to fly a non precision approach with all this fancy glass.

Enroute VNAV does not go further than the FAF.
As Mark says... ^^ This ^^... you'll need to engage APR to capture the Glideslope/Glidepath as you come into the FAF.
Graphically...
screenshot32.png

Back