GA transportation of (personal) firearms and ammo

AffordablePlanesWhen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CaptainSlower
Long time reader, first time poster. I don't have a plane at this time but am on a wait list for a local club (50+ deep) and been passively watching airplanes for sale for the last 6 months (hence the username which continues to go unanswered).

Anyway, one of my primary missions will be transporting some of my guns/ammo/toys between home in Ohio and friends' land in the South Carolina and Colorado. Assuming all non-aviation-related factors are taken into account for State-dependent lawful possession, what legal and safety factors arise with GA carriage of firearms and ammo? I'm interested in any travel tips, anecdotes, or horror stories you may have.

FWIW, I am talking 4-5 long guns, a handful of pistols, cleaning accessories and field tools, and 150 lbs of ammo on average for training and competition shoots.

I don’t think the average ga plane can handle nearly 200# in the back, so calculate your weight and balance!

As to the rest of it, I have no idea. Ammunition stability in an engine out scenario?

I think this is a great question and one I have wondered about myself. I think the key is that you meet the legalities of the states and fed laws as you would if transporting by car. It might cause extra scrutiny unloading your cargo at the airport as well.

Long time reader, first time poster. I don't have a plane at this time but am on a wait list for a local club (50+ deep) and been passively watching airplanes for sale for the last 6 months (hence the username which continues to go unanswered).

Anyway, one of my primary missions will be transporting some of my guns/ammo/toys between home in Ohio and friends' land in the South Carolina and Colorado. Assuming all non-aviation-related factors are taken into account for State-dependent lawful possession, what legal and safety factors arise with GA carriage of firearms and ammo? I'm interested in any travel tips, anecdotes, or horror stories you may have.

FWIW, I am talking 4-5 long guns, a handful of pistols, cleaning accessories and field tools, and 150 lbs of ammo on average for training and competition shoots.
What I have done with success is contact the FBO manager well in advance of the trip. If they will accept and hold an ammo order for you, purchase and ship the ammo direct to the FBO.

??

Be certain your possession is legal in any states you fly over and may land in due to weather or mechanical issues. Obviously, no loaded firearms except those on your body. Firearms with one in the tube are a fire hazard. The chambered round can cook off and unlike loose ammo which explodes "relatively" harmlessly one in the chamber becomes a projectile.

AOPA has covered this. If all of the concerned states have reciprocity then the transport of the firearms themselves may not be much of an issue, but you would want to contact the respective offices of each state and county to ensure no problems. This would include the airport managers, and for goodness sake, get EVERYTHING in writing (email is sufficient), print it out, and carry it all with you.

The ammo is probably going to be the biggest hurdle as that is considered HazMat and generally speaking must be shipped by ground.

Not sure how members of a club would feel with your mission. But your mission screams pa32

Back