FS: 1967 Cherokee 180D

mnewb1

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M Newberry
My engine has begun making metal, and I have decided to sell the plane and let someone else do the overhaul

I fly for fun, I am not using the plane to get anywhere, and my wife does not have any desire to fly

So, I think I will sell the Cherokee and look for something, fun...a tailwheel that can eventually go on floats for some Michigan Lake exploration.

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1037642_1967+Piper+Cherokee+180D.html

IMG_0233_zps5fa60777.jpg

IMG_0230_zps87f03127.jpg

$26,900.00

Nice looking bird inside and out. What does making metal actually mean?

It means you don't want to fly it without overhauling the engine, as there is evidence it is slowly starting to self destruct.

You might look for a 1000hr engine to toss on to sell it with.

My engine has begun making metal,
Tell me about the making metal, how much, what is it? how many oil changes have been done after metal was noticed?

It means you don't want to fly it without overhauling the engine, as there is evidence it is slowly starting to self destruct.
well maybe, maybe not. I have seen engines give up a flake or two, and fly another 1000 hours, then again I've seen them quit with no metal.

oil analysis showed 149 PPM iron. The airplane sat for 5 years before I bought it. I knew there was some corrosion and the beginning of spalling on the cam. I was hoping to get a few years out of the engine before I came to this point, but I knew it was a gamble.

So, no chunks on which you can read part numbers or serial numbers yet?

oil analysis showed 149 PPM iron. The airplane sat for 5 years before I bought it. I knew there was some corrosion and the beginning of spalling on the cam. I was hoping to get a few years out of the engine before I came to this point, but I knew it was a gamble.

That sounds like cylinder corrosion from lack of use....unless you can verify the debris from the filter and or a visual cam inspection I wouldn't be so quick to write this engine off.

I swear folks will argue over anything here!

Guys, owner says it's making metal and needs an overhaul, and has priced it as such. I'm sure if you are a serious buyer, and are interested in offering more than asking since you believe the engine still has life, contact the OP and go for it; I'm sure he'll accept your offer.

Otherwise, buy it, evaluate, and do what you and your A&P deem prudent.

Guys, owner says it's making metal and needs an overhaul, and has priced it as such. I'm sure if you are a serious buyer, and are interested in offering more than asking since you believe the engine still has life, contact the OP and go for it; I'm sure he'll accept your offer.

So...what's your beef? :rofl:

The body is in beautiful shape, it looks like a great airplane. Hope you can get a buyer for it at a reasonable price.

Here is a picture of the cam at the first annual after I bought

photo_zps83c162d1.jpg

My worry is getting it home prior to the engine swap.

While an overhaul will have residual value on sale, it's possible to do the cam repair for a whole lot less money, if that's all it needs.

Back