First flight after passing FAA checkride

Legiox

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RatherBflying
Thought i was share this with you guys. I passed my FAA checkride last week. So i decided to take my father up for a belated fathers day present today. These images are near the innerbanks of North Carolina (close to the outerbanks). Enjoy :)

To bad i couldn't go higher up. Frecking BKN clouds at 2k feet...haha

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

looks like fun - congrats on passing the check ride - but from what I"m seeing you could have gotten on top. . .

You may start to see that - on a long cross country - that there is often a 'cap' in the atmosphere at 9-10k over the SE USA in summer - so long as you are going near the coast or north of Norfolk or south of Savannah so you can buzz along at 10500 or 9500 and be above the haze and the cap - you get cumulus congestus below the cap and clear and million and smooth above. You do need a solid gold place to go however since you do not yet have an IFR rating. . . .

Yeah, im just taking baby steps. Do not want to go outside my comfort zone until i feel i'm ready. Don't want to be another statistic :p

My first XC will be to first flight (in outerbanks) sometime this year. Trying to get some money up. Credit cards are maxed out right now having to pay for PPL.

Nice pics! Curious...what is that you're flying?

he enjoyed it very much. I really Really want a IFR rating, but man im broke. Wish the aviation industry offered student loan types for payment.

he enjoyed it very much. I really Really want a IFR rating, but man im broke. Wish the aviation industry offered student loan types for payment.

There used to be some private loan companies but their rates were astronomical and they usually needed collateral behind it. It was basically a personal collateralized loan. I heard of a few "signature loans" for folks with significant assets where the assets weren't officially collateral, long ago.

And of course, one can enroll in an Aviation college that's fully-accredited and that has flight classroom credits... you pay for your class and they either have their own Part 141 program or they partner with 141
Programs "officially" so flight time becomes part of your calculated "need" in your student loan request, which increases your chance for Pell Grants and authorizes much higher dollar loans over just the classroom and boarding costs.

But that kind of debt is scary. Not that most of the Country "gets it", nor really looks at the overall price tag vs potential earnings and how long it'll take to pay it back.

If you have the stomach for being broke and poor for a very long time (or even putting an enormous loan into forbearance because you're not getting paid well enough for the first ten years to eat, let alone make student loan payments), and still have it hanging over your head when you're well into your 40s if normal life pushes you to live like the Joneses and get married, buy the house, have the kids, and the white picket fence...

... you CAN get loans.

Don't forget to budget for a crashpad if you don't want to relocate. (Grin...)

It wasn't what I wanted out of life. Not the huge loans, nor the lifestyle and the furloughs which hit around the time I'd have been doing it -- just barely a couple years. Handwriting was on the wall and friends got hit. Hard.

Some people, it is what they want. No judgement bad or good on it, really.

Some people thrive in the airline environment and get lucky about which company they work for, and never get reset to the bottom of the senority list.

Some have train wreck jobs that spill over into their personal lives and destroy all their relationships, and leave them wandering all over for decades, chasing the jobs. Nomads who fly.

Doesn't matter if they're the happiest and best pilot in the world or the one passing line checks and sim rides with no joy or interest anymore, the seniority number is King in the airline biz.

Bizjet folks aren't immune from downturns either, especially fractionals. One friend was tossed out of NetJets off the Citation X, and this year they announced they were buying the largest new jet order Bombardier has ever had from one company.

Shows how screwed up that business is, in many respects. Cyclical. And I wonder if that friend ever heard that whole BS presentation by execs that, "We are all one big family here at MegaCorp!" You can't lay off family. It's such utter and deep Bravo Sierra. Anyone my age has heard it so many times it's stomach-churning. Barf. Tell me the real story,
Iike how your Sales staff ran out of buddies and family to call. Really. We know.

Anyway... There are loans out there. The bigger a loser you are when you apply, the bigger the loan they'll authorize. Make sure you're really really broke. It's based on "need" not "determination and drive And a business plan to pay it back"...

It's a great system. ;)

Me too but I spent too much on my Private. Once that is paid off I can start thinking about IFR.

Congratulations on your very first flight. I wanted my Dad to be my first passenger, too, but his new wife (OK they've been together 10 years) would not let him be my very first passenger. Even though in his twenties he flew HUGE planes in the USAF. Go figure. Finally flew with him a few weeks ago and it was awesome.

join the military - 100% reimbursement

Back