Finding a jet engine... in the forest

The portion on the right doesn't look like any airplane turbine engine I've seen although it might be from a helicopter. Particularly confusing is the big spur gear on the end, but the lack of burner cans (they might have been further to the left) is also puzzling. I wonder if this could have been part of some kind of stationary machine?

Other than heavy-lift helicopters, do they use any turbine equipment in logging operations?

I was wondering about the big gear too- it didn't look aircraft to me bacause of that but I don't know about all types of aircraft engines.

That's the guts of a high-capacity turbine powered still. Makes more "fuel" than it burns...:goofy: :cheerswine:

Looks like a turbo prop but that is a very large gear to have on the end.

(I've been told that) the PT-6 was originally designed to run oil derrick pumps...could be something like that?

Thread-jack.
So this pilot of a cargo 747 keys his mike and tells the controller working the overnight shift, "Center, we just lost an engine."
The controller wasn't really too concerned, the pilot still has three other working power units, after all, right? It sounds like the pilot shut one down as a precaution. It happens.
Bout eight minutes later, the pilot realizes that the message may have been misunderstood.
"No center, we lost it. It fell off the aircraft."
Needless to say, the controller was a little surprised and concerned. The aircraft landed later without further incident.
Fortunately, it was over Lake Michigan. We never heard any more about it.
So if you were deep sea diving in the middle of Lake Michigan, you might come upon a power unit like this individual did.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Thread-jack.
So this pilot of a cargo 747 keys his mike and tells the controller working the overnight shift, "Center, we just lost an engine."
The controller wasn't really too concerned, the pilot still has three other working power units, after all, right? It sounds like the pilot shut one down as a precaution. It happens.
Bout eight minutes later, the pilot realizes that the message may have been misunderstood.
"No center, we lost it. It fell off the aircraft."
Needless to say, the controller was a little surprised and concerned. The aircraft landed later without further incident.
Fortunately, it was over Lake Michigan. We never heard any more about it.
So if you were deep sea diving in the middle of Lake Michigan, you might come upon a power unit like this individual did.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

:rofl::hairraise: Reminds me of an old joke: F-15 pilot calls the tower and asks for priority approach clearance as he has an engine that's "running a bit peaked." The tower tells him to expect late landing clearance as he's number 2 for the field.

The pilot asks why he isn't getting priority, and the controller tells him "You're number 2 behind a B-52 that declared an emergency after a precautionary shut down of an engine."

The Eagle driver replied with "Ahh yes, the dreaded 7 engine approach."

[/7500]

:rofl::hairraise: Reminds me of an old joke: F-15 pilot calls the tower and asks for priority approach clearance as he has an engine that's "running a bit peaked." The tower tells him to expect late landing clearance as he's number 2 for the field.

The pilot asks why he isn't getting priority, and the controller tells him "You're number 2 behind a B-52 that declared an emergency after a precautionary shut down of an engine."

The Eagle driver replied with "Ahh yes, the dreaded 7 engine approach."

[/7500]

LOL!!! :rofl:

Back