FAA Drops Expiration Date from CFI

No idea. All I know is my DPE grilled me like a prawn over CFI expiration minutia... I've still got charing lol

Basically the process of renewal will not change and you will receive a certificate without an expiration date. Even without an expiration date, you still will have to submit a 8710 for renewal.

The FAA should have made the FIRC part of Wings online classes with no other action by the CFI required for renewal.

Last edited:
The physical certificate will not have an expiration date printed, but privileges still expire if not renewed. The FAA just doesn’t need to print and mail a new card now.

I read somewhere there will now be a three month grace period after expiration to complete a FIRC and reinstate your certificate. Currently if you are one day late you have to take a checkride to reinstate.

And, I wonder: now there's the 3-month pre- renewal window for completing a FIRC. What happens to that if your currency date is before your (old) expiration date?
(so many questions).

Nothing really changed for my situation. Still going to have to do a FIRC every 2 years

Yeah, we’ll have to read the final rule to find out if they’re adding or changing the grace period.
Ah I thought this was the final rule. I think AceCFI emails me when it comes time to renew so in theory I shouldn’t need a grace period if I pay attention. Hopefully they will still alert me.

Ah I thought this was the final rule. I think AceCFI emails me when it comes time to renew so in theory I shouldn’t need a grace period if I pay attention. Hopefully they will still alert me.
It is the final rule…I actually quoted the wrong post, sorry.

Sounds like you can renew with the same 3-month early grace period, but they’re adding a 3-month late grace after privileges expire to do a FIRC instead of a checkride.

But I haven’t read it closely enough to say for sure.

So, for a guy like me who let my CFI expire back in the late 80’s, does this change anything for me? Still need to do a checkride or what?

So, for a guy like me who let my CFI expire back in the late 80’s, does this change anything for me? Still need to do a checkride or what?
I finally let mine expire in the 90’s, and would not want to renew even if the Feds sent it via private courier.
The whole CFI thing is a huge pita compared to back then.

Back