FAA approves new Las Vegas area airport (with Spaceport?)

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is paving the way for construction to begin on the Las Vegas Executive Airport approximately 31 miles west of Harry Reid International Airport. The airport is anticipated to accommodate single and multi-engine and roto craft operations with a single runway and is expected to begin construction in the next six months.

“The FAA’s approval is a monumental step forward for the Las Vegas Executive Airport and the broader vision of the Las Vegas Spaceport..."

So they build a horizontal launch facility 31 miles west of Las Vegas. That should cause a few delays getting into KLAS. I thought it was pretty hilly west of Las Vegas.

So they build a horizontal launch facility 31 miles west of Las Vegas. That should cause a few delays getting into KLAS. I thought it was pretty hilly west of Las Vegas.
The new location appears to be west of those mountains.

IRCC, Clark County Dept of Aviation approved the runway, they did not approve a SPACEPORT.

30 miles west of KLAS would put it roughly in the valley southwest of Mt. Charleston and south of Pahrump:
grab27.jpg

"Commissioners this week unanimously approved construction permits for the Las Vegas Executive Airport, which would be located at a 240-acre site near Pahrump, north of Highway 160."

Las Vegas is supposed to be a place where you can experience anything that you can imagine, for a price. Now, at last, for the price of a chartered jet, wealthy Las Vegas travelers will be able to experience what it’s like to fly into KDEN for a meeting in downtown Denver.

I think they are getting set up to close airports closer to Las Vegas.

It will be on the site of Hidden Hills Ranch a 5300 acre area straddling the CA-NV border. 13 nm SE of Pahrump and 30+ nm from LV.
36° 0.695'N 115° 51.823'W

In addition to this airport and potential spaceport, there is also plans for a second Las Vegas Airport for commercial traffic...

The Southern Nevada Supplemental Airport

If this potential airport is built, and depending on where in the dry lake it is built, it won't likely mess up low-level ops out of Jean, but might affect high-altitude glider ops. I expect the runway(s) would be roughly N-S oriented which puts arrival and departure smack-dab over Jean.

Las Vegas is supposed to be a place where you can experience anything that you can imagine, for a price. Now, at last, for the price of a chartered jet, wealthy Las Vegas travelers will be able to experience what it’s like to fly into KDEN for a meeting in downtown Denver.

Guy flies into DEN and takes a taxi to town. As the ride goes on and on and on, he asks the cabbie, "why did they build the airport so far out of town?"

Cabbie looks at him like he's stupid and replies "They had to. It's where all of the planes go."

Back