Escape to Altoona

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Hubby and I will be relocating the airplane inland for the weekend to escape Irene's wind and storm surge that is expected to inundate Bridgeport. Looking at the map, Altoona looks like a safe haven where we can go to some museums and enjoy ourselves. Wondering whether there are any PoA'ers in the neighborhood?

Peggy not too much in Altoona. Big Railroad hub. Looks like they just down graded it to a Cat 1 storm as it reaches NJ. I might go to wellsboro PA. Beautiful canyons and gorges. Enjoy the trip.

The train museum downtown is nice, and the minor league baseball team has a very nice stadium.

You can go a bit further west and visit Pittsburgh -- lots to see and do!

We're east now, or would offer to provide more detailed guide service...

Peggy not too much in Altoona. Big Railroad hub. Looks like they just down graded it to a Cat 1 storm as it reaches NJ. I might go to wellsboro PA. Beautiful canyons and gorges. Enjoy the trip.
Hubby is a rail fan.

Storm surge and flooding are a big worry. However, the wind can sweep around the peninsula pretty nasty, too. Last big blow we had a push-rod bend even though we were tied down good and had clamps on the movable surfaces. The twin tied down next to us got its tail tie-down ring torn out and a huge repair bill. Just barely missed our plane as it swiveled around its ropes.

The train museum downtown is nice, and the minor league baseball team has a very nice stadium.

You can go a bit further west and visit Pittsburgh -- lots to see and do!

We're east now, or would offer to provide more detailed guide service...
Hubby is a rail fan. He is saying things like Allegheny Portage railroad, Johnstown Flood memorial, Horseshoe curve, Bend Tunnel. He is looking to see if we can stop at 7g4 and rent a car.

Back