EliQuis (a blood thinner) and Basic Med

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
I'm on EliQuis for up to three months. A long post about it is here. My leg is making a rapid recovery and I hope I don't need it for that long.

I did a little research, and the FAA requires you to be on it for at least 2 months before you can apply for a SI.
I'm flying on Basic Med. What implications does EliQuis have for me?

Eliquis is a pretty strong med. If you're only taking it for a couple months -Id self ground for that amount of time. Its obviously between you and your doc - but from the couple of people who take or are on eliquis - its a pretty strong "blood thinner". People I know frequently need to sit down due to dizziness at times, and they bruise very very easily. . ..

Hello Crashnburn ! I have done the whole gambit of Anticoagulants (blood thinners) for 20+ years... Had recurrent DVT with no PE.
Coumadin (warfarin) on a class 3. THAT SUCKED. Finally, they came out with newer anticoagulants. Xarelto and Eliquis. I'm on lifelong Xarelto therapy. I take 1-10mg Xarelto daily. Also now on Basic med. I'd def be close to my Dr. Recurrent DVT is not uncommon. PE in the air could be deadly. That said, my opinion/experience, the meds are pretty safe. But I'd def self ground until PEs are cleared and DVT dissolved.

Thanks all. I have a follow up appointment with my Dr. next week. This DVT was provoked, not hereditary. So far, no bruises and no signs of internal bleeding.

I'm sure the clot is still there, but if what I think the clot is, it's significantly diminished from a week ago.

Question - at what point, if any, would blood clots be considered coronary heart disease? I ask because my father was treated for pvt clots via a blood thinner and was told it was a heart attack risk. I don’t _think_ it is here, but asking. If it is, then a SI for the clots is necessary.

By Law, limited to:
  • A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
    • Myocardial infarction;
    • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
    • Cardiac valve replacement; or
    • Heart replacement.
Obviously he should check with his Doctor to help in his decision to determine if he's safe to fly.

But the Law is "limited to" for a reason, despite some efforts to stretch the definition.

By Law, limited to:
  • A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
    • Myocardial infarction;
    • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
    • Cardiac valve replacement; or
    • Heart replacement.
Obviously he should check with his Doctor to help in his decision to determine if he's safe to fly.

But the Law is "limited to" for a reason, despite some efforts to stretch the definition.
Thank you for the information.

Back